Ever Tried To Sell A Car On Ebay?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by junemoon • Apr 9, 2015.

1. junemoon

junemoonNew Member

Threads:
    I thought about doing this for a quick moment and changed my mind quickly. It was not the fees associated, nor the worry of a bidder sending a bogus check or money order. What concerned me was the shifty dealings of some used cars salesman, also auctioning out vehicles.

After doing a quick Google search, it became apparent some people do not like competition and go to some extremes to pull away your buyers from purchasing your car. Their tactic is set up fake accounts and bid up the price of your car, thus deterring any serious prospects from making a bid.

So, I was wondering, if anyone ever sold a vehicle through eBay?

2. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    That sounds very sketchy and I haven't a car to sell. My neighbor, however, has bought a car through Craiglist. Can you believe it? They got lucky with a great car that was driven by an older lady with low mileage, and they had to drive to Tennessee to pick it up.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Purchasing or even selling a car on eBay comes with inherent risks, but you can have a successful transaction without any funny business. It all depends upon how you go about things. You just have to watch out for the scams and then do your due diligence in order to wind up getting your asking price for a car that you're selling on the platform.

4. junemoon

junemoonNew Member

Threads:
    Good to hear, have you had any experience selling a car on Ebay?

I have done my due diligence, and decided I am not interested in weeding out the scams. Sure, I am able to detect the obvious ones, been there done that, but there are people who have this down to a science, and I am talking about other car dealers trying to detract people from buying your car and attract them to their car.

Although, I might change my mind, would be interested and appreciative of any tips in this area.

@IceyFireFly - Oh yeah, I can believe it! Sold a lot on Craigslist, but never a car. When I have put a car on there, I got 95% scams, and 5% percent low ball offers. At least, they got to see who they were buying the car from before purchasing!

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I never thought about selling or buying a car on ebay. And the same goes for bikes as well. There are certain acquisitions I make in life that I want to last for a long time. Therefore I go to great lengths of checking them out thoroughly. Vehicles would fall into that category.

6. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    We've sold our last couple of cars (2 or 3) on Craigslist with no issues, though, if that hadn't been the case Ebay would have been our next step. My husband, my brother, and my father have all bought cars on Ebay.

I think you just have to be a smart shopper and a smart salesman to make ebay work for you. And, to be quite honest, I think Ebay's better car deals are for slightly nicer more expensive used cars. Anything under $5000 is pretty easy to do on Craigslist.

7. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ebay actually has a separate app for vehicle sales, in addition to the regular eBay app. I've never sold a car on there, but I have looked at cars on the app, as well as online. I'm not sure I'd chance it these days, with all the crazy stories, since of course you would have to meet the person in real life to do the exchange. For something like that, I would definitely recommend meeting up in the police station parking lot, and checking out the person via cross referencing their name, phone number and email address ahead of time.

8. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    There seems to be more and more people selling their cars on Ebay, but I don't find it to be a particular good idea. Actually, I find it to be pretty oblivious since every transaction usually ends up in a PayPal account and with cars we're talking about thousands of dollars, and PayPal might block that sum of money since they're not accustomed with many accounts actually getting this much money in their account in a lifetime. It's not a good idea overall. If you use classifieds websites you'd come off better.