Expensive surgery or euthanasia

Discussion in Pets started by Jennifer • May 27, 2012.

1. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    If your pet was to fall ill and the vet advised you that your beloved pet would need quite an expensive operation but that there was only a 50/50 percent chance that it would be successful. Would you give the go ahead for the operation to be done (knowing that you could barely afford it) or would you feel that it would be in your pet's best interest (and your pocket) to have him/her euthanased?

2. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I think I'd go for euthanasia if chances to survive were only 50/50. I wouldn't want my dog to suffer, so putting an end to her pain would be better from my point of view.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the situation and what is best for the pet. If the surgery could save them, the pet isn't too old, AND they would be able to have a good quality of life, then I would do it. To me, a pet is part of the family and as an owner you have a responibility to care for the pet. A pet is not a throw away commodity.

4. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I was actually in this type of situation a few months back. My vet recommended that my dog get surgery and even then there was no guarantee that she'll be fully recovered. It was going to cost a few thousand dollars and my pet was probably going to be handicapped for the rest of her life. The other two options were to put her on medication for a month to see if there is any progress or to put her down. I chose the medication one but during that month I had family members and friends telling me that I should put her down and not let her suffer. I was really thinking about it too since there was no way I could afford the surgery. But luckily, my dog pulled through and I didn't have to do it.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    It depends on a lot of things. If the pet is really old, the trauma of the operation might kill him anyway. I don't have a pet now, but if I did, I'd explore other options as well. And I'd ask the vet the acid test question: 'If this was your dog, what would you do, and why?' You need expert advice and support in a scenario such as this, but the main thing is to keep suffering to a minimum for the animal, and ask about the quality of life folowing the operation. It's certainly not a decision you can rush into.

6. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    This is really a tough call. I hate to see animals just suffering. And sometimes diseases like Cat cancer, and feline Aids can be very painful. I have never had to actually make the choice, but I used to volunteer at a Humane Society.

7. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    I have opted for the surgery before. The pet recovered, but had a downturn a few months later. Then he ended up passing away, but for the few months it was well worth it.

8. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    I would most likely have my pet euthanized. Not because of the money but I just know how hard it is for a person to go through and recover from a serious surgery I think that it would be even more difficult for a pet. They can't take care of themselves and you can't always communicate well with them either. I would rather just end their suffering sooner and with less pain.

9. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    Money would probably come second to a pet I consider family.

However, I would consider the pet's age. If the pet is still young and could live many more years, I would go with the surgery. There is no point in putting a pet that is a part of your family down, if they could possibly survive and live for much longer.

Now, if the pet was older and on it's last legs, I would cut the suffering and go with euthanasia.

10. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    This is a tough one. My first concern would be my pet's well being. I would weigh all factors and then make a decision from there. Ideally, I would want to believe that nature would take its course and heal him. I would also get more opinions and ultimately, see that those days my pet has with me are the best possible.

11. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    The answer to this question is dependant on what you are comfortable with. For me, the answer lies in quality of life. Not only do you have to determine whether or not the pet has a chance of surviving the surgery, but will he or she have a good quality of life afterward? If not, the answer is definitely no to surgery. I would elect euthansia.

12. siriusboi

siriusboiMember

Threads:
    That is really sweet. I have a pet rabbit who had died and I actually miss her a lot. No matter how much I spent just to extend the days she would live, it was all worth the money. Cash can be earned easily if you work hard but a loving pet is just one in a million. I've grown attached to her and she was the only living thing that I told every dirty little secret about me.

13. Micheleteresa

MicheleteresaMember

Threads:
    I would and have put a pets life ahead of my financial situation because i honestly believed he would pull through and he did! There are many places that can assist with low cost vet care if you take the time to do a little research, especially if you live in NYC or Long Island.

14. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I couldn't afford it and a 50/50 chance isn't enough to think of investing. Besides which a surgery that risking is probably not going to yield excellent results come time for recovery.

15. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I give my pets all the available options I can. I know this may not seem like it is something which works all the time, but they are a breathing creature and deserve to live.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The life of my pet is more important than money, so I will gladly have my pet undergo surgery in the hope that his condition will change. I want my pet to live as long and healthy as possible.

17. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When our first dog named Jedi got very sick - it was renal failure that did her in - we asked several vets on the course of action. We were willing to spend for any kind of surgery. Unfortunately, all those vets advised against surgery because our dog was already 10 years old. They said an operation may just kill our dog. And to end her misery, we agreed to euthanasia. The vet injected Jedi with a pain reliever and after 2 minutes was injected with the lethal injection that put her to sleep... forever. It was really a sad day for us on that 19th of May 2007.

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I went through this with one of my rescues last year. We just brought her home and she was missing a paw and her lungs were shot and then my unobservant mother stepped on her and totally dislocated her little arm. What a heart breaking time that was.. knowing she had suffered until we brought her home and then to be the cause (indirectly) of even more suffering as we were getting ready to deal with her other health issues. We were told that in her condition, she might die while she was under.. they had a lot to look into and do for her, but we allowed it. She was (is) a baby, so she had her whole life ahead of her and if there was even a tiny chance we could save her and give her a good life full of love and pampering, we would take that chance.. I couldn't let her die when all she had known in her tiny little life was absolute suffering. She's going to be two soon and she's the happiest, funniest, most loving cat I've ever had (I've had a LOT lol).. we made the right choice, despite the horrific cost to do it. Which is another topic altogether.. vets are some of the biggest crooks out there. Their expensive equipment pays for itself in no time at all, yet they continue to rape everyone and allow animals to suffer if you don't fork over your savings and first born child. Makes me ill.

That said, we're at a point for the time being, that if something were to happen to one of our cats, we would have to choose putting them down. It all depends on timing and situation.

19. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't want to extend the pets suffering. If the operation has 50% chance of failing in which case I lose the pet or 50% chance of survival and pet will be in pain for rest of it's life then I'd choose euthanasia. It shouldn't be about the money at times. If the pet will fully recover I'll spend the money but won't if fully recovery isn't guaranteed.

20. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wel
    Well that is a moral decision that I don't think anyone could really advise you on. I guess I would take into consideration the age of the pet...whether or not I had children, If I had time to devote to the recovery or not, and my families feelings on the subject. I think factoring all those things into consideration will let you know what is right to do. Also, there are some vet funds in some states that offer free or discount surgery. Check in a major city in your area. There is Vet surgical hospital in the Richmond Virginia area that offers this.