Extreme Frugality?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Mar 30, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I saw this discussion somewhere on the net and reading some of the posts it was quite obvious many of those people had no idea what frugality is all about.

But as there are some people who think it might not be all that great, I'd like to know what you guys think? Is extreme frugality a good or bad thing?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think extreme frugality when you don't need to be isn't always healthy. I had an ex who was Scottish (known for being frugal) and he wouldn't even buy me chocolate on Valentine's Day. So I bought some for myself and he then proceeded to eat them. He had a well paid job, but was just so mean. Naturally that ended the relationship.

We all find times when being frugal is a necessity, but when it isn't we can still be careful and buy what we need rather than on a whim. That to me is what frugal means, buy what you need, but still treat yourself every now and then if you can.

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I have to admit that I would be inclined to agree with Denis Hard - that many people don't appear to understand what being frugal really is - particularly as - apart from noticing that many seem to assume that being frugal and being cheap are one and the same thing - it also appears to be relatively common for many to mistake being miserly/stingy and making huge sacrifices purely for the sake of saving money - with that of being frugal.

When in actual fact - not only is that a wrong assumption - but there is a huge difference between the two - for example -

Being frugal - will never sacrifice quality or comfort - just because something is cheaper - as long term value is of more importance

Being cheap - will always sacrifice quality to buy what is the cheapest - as the lowest price is more important than value for money

or to put it more simply

Cheap - means thinking short term - whereas - Frugal - means thinking long term

Also bearing in mind that - as being frugal is generally a choice rather than a forced necessity and is usually considered a smart move where finances are concerned - in fact so much so - that many extremely rich people actually choose to live this way - living frugally is quite the opposite of being stingy and always looking for the cheapest option - as it it is in reality - nothing more than managing your finances wisely - by only buying what is really needed and making cost effective decisions without sacrificing quality or comfort when you do.

So in answer to the question - as living a frugal lifestyle is a choice - no I don't think that being “ extremely “ frugal is necessarily a bad thing at all - as not only do the majority of people who choose to live this way - normally choose the level of frugality that they feel comfortable with - but it can sometimes - if done out of necessity to get finances back on track - prove to be a very beneficial learning curve.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think extreme anything is rarely healthy. I'd like to know what the discussion was about though. As for frugality, I myself find it okay and sometimes it just is a personality trait most likely brought upon by environmental causes growing up, and it is very much a helpful characteristic in many situations but should be kept in check which is true of many traits we acquire. For me, like anything else, it has a time and a place, and when it's being done at the wrong time it can be very distasteful but when done in the right time there is not much argument that can be made against it.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess it depends on how people define frugality to begin with. Some people think it means being a cheapskate or being stingy. I think it means living well while spending less money to do so. There's a big difference.

Scraping and scrounging when you don't need to or buying things that are cheap just because they are cheap isn't being good with money, if you ask me. The cheapest stuff is not always the best "deal" or "value." There are also people who buy stuff on sale just because it's a good deal, even if they don't need it or won't end up using it. That's still wasting money.

I think being frugal means being savvy with money... knowing when to save, when to spend, and that it's okay to splurge occasionally. Everyone needs something to look forward to.

Living well on less -to the extreme- doesn't sound like a bad thing. ;)

6. venusflytrap

venusflytrapMember

Threads:
    I'd say it all depends on your personal circumstances, personality and attitude. If you are in a bad situation, you obviously have to work hard to make ends meet. You might have no other option but to be extremely frugal. On the other hand, if times are hard but you can afford a little treat from time to time, I think you really should reward yourself for your strength, your endurance and ability to stay balanced, no matter what. If you deny yourself everything, it might start affecting you psychologically.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not going to stand in judgement of anyone who does it, because obviously we all have our own personal preferences, personal situations and other difference circumstances. But for me personally, I wouldn't ever practice it out of choice, because it doesn't appeal to me at all. I work really hard and like the finer things in life. So I like to spoil myself, and prefer to do so over having to always scrimp and save and roughing it. It suits some people and I say kudos to them.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At the same time, don't you like to save money on the finer things? :)

That's what being frugal means to me. Living well, but not spending every last dime to do it. I think it is possible to live well while living within one's means. It does take extra effort, but I don't mind it.

I'm one of those people, I guess. It suits me (except for the roughing it part. I don't like roughing it, ha ha). I enjoy getting the best deal on things, especially the good stuff. I love getting a discount on some splendid, otherwise expensive item. Those are the best ones, but I do enjoy finding everyday savings as well.

Personally, I think there is a difference between extremely cheap and extremely frugal. A big difference.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ah but you see @Zyni....there's a difference between living within your mean and being frugal. I do live within my means and will not spend money I don't have. See, when I think frugal, I think meagre, scanty, thrifty, penny pinching etc. I don't see myself as that. I love a bargain as much as the next person, and always shop around before committing to a purchase, but at the same time, I like to go out eating in a nice restaurant, without agonising over price, which a frugal person would. BUT I only do so when I know all my outgoings, including my savings, have been covered and I have a little disposable cash to spend. I like good quality clothes and goods and will not scrimp on those, but will only spend what I have.

Often my work colleagues will say I must be minted because of the quality of the stuff I buy. But I believe it all lies in the choices we all make, the planning, how we choose to spend our money and our preferences. There's living within your means, and then there's being tight fisted, which I think is closer to being frugal.

10. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I think extreme frugality can be a bad thing at times because you deprive yourself of the basic fun things in life that make life worth living. Everyone should be able to splurge every now and then. It becomes stressful when you are depriving yourself and having to think so hard how to save pennies here and there on everything, and it does put a lot of stress on the family as well.

11. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As mentioned previously - many people don't appear to understand what being frugal really is and generally assume that being frugal and being cheap are one and the same thing and also usually mistake being miserly/stingy and making huge sacrifices purely for the sake of saving money - with that of being frugal.

When in actual fact - although a relatively common assumption - thinking that being miserly, penny pinching and generally tightfisted to the point of sacrificing comfort, quality and depriving yourself of the basic things in life – is being frugal - is actually totally wrong - as doing that is NOT being frugal - but being a cheapskate.

Frugal people are smart with money - as they think long term and spend money wisely - but without sacrificing comfort or quality of life.

12. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think of it as good or bad to be frugal. It is a lifestyle that helps you save money. It is only bad if you become an extreme cheapskate and put frugalness before happiness and family.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Every person has their own definition of being frugal, and it really depends on how they apply it to their lives. I would love to splurge as much as possible, but my situation and finances doesn't allow that, so I'm forced to be frugal. I think anyone wanting to save money is frugal in various ways to stretch their budget. But if you clearly have more than enough and you are still cheap or frugal, then that is not right, since money is made to be spent.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find it hilarious what most people consider extreme.. absolutely knee slapping, actually lol. They really are for this world and all that's set up to make us poor and unhealthy. I think being frugal.. sorry, "extremely" frugal is only the person's business. If it helps them keep on track, so be it. If they do it to be minimalist and not contribute to the excess and greed of this world, then so be it (that would be me lol.. trying my best anyway). If anyone finds it a problem, then they don't have to be friends with them, or marry them. These aren't the people for you.. there are plenty of excessive people out there to spend your time with. Even on frugal, money saving websites such as this ;)

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think extreme frugality can help meet a goal that is short term but to live your whole life being extremely frugal would take the fun out of life not allowing yourself the once in awhile impulse purchase or trip just because. Life is to be enjoyed which can not be done if you are always looking at how much something cost.

You can get the best quality possible which may cost more and still be frugal. If you pay $3 for a pair of pants and can only wear them a few times is not a better purchase than a pair of pants that cost $10 and you can wear them for years. That is my idea of being frugal.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are a few ways that being frugal to extremes can be a negative thing. For example, if you are spending a lot of gas money to drive around for the cheapest groceries, then you have to consider whether it's worth it to waste gas going to six different supermarkets instead of just one or two. If you are spending an hour to squeeze ketchup packets into a bottle, you have to consider whether there are more profitable ways that you could have spent that hour. There are high yield activities and then there are unprofitable wastes of time and those activities are taking frugality to extremes.