First car?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Livvy • Jul 31, 2014.

1. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    So, I'm getting to that age where I'm expected to be an 'adult' now, even if I feel like anything but. So my question is, what is the best age to buy your first car at, and what is the best first car in your opinion, especially for someone who maybe doesn't know all that much about engines and such, like myself?

2. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    I was 21 when I got my first car, before that I drove my dad's or my brother's car. I think that there is no right age to buy your first car, just do it when you feel ready. I would suggest as your first car a small one in order to be able to control it easier since you are not that experienced.

3. CoolCat

CoolCatMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't go buying a car until you actually need one. A lot of people graduate college and get that first job, and feel like now they should get the car of their dreams. Six months later they realize their paycheck isn't as big as they expected due to taxes, insurance, retirement contributions, etc. and their car payment is taking a bigger chunk out of it than they'd hoped.

My advice would be to start saving for a car now, and when you find you need one (because yours keeps breaking down, you total it, or you don't have one and get a job requiring a commute, for instance), you will have a decent downpayment already saved.

As for what type of car, I would get something small and fuel efficient. It doesn't sound like you need a truck or SUV to haul things around so don't waste the money. They are generally more expensive to buy and the gas cost can be outrageous.

4. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I say the younger the better. It is never too early to start learning about auto ownership and how to drive. It's one thing that you only learn by doing.
    I picked up my first car at 18, it was a mid 90's Chevy Cavalier. Saved up and paid cash.
    That car taught me a lot. It was my first introduction to the world of adulthood! I had to pay to insure and operate it.

But please whatever you do, do NOT lease/finance a car before you are 30! It can be tempting to jump into a new car if you can "afford" the payments.
    No one wants to hear this, but if you cannot afford to buy the car in cash, you cannot actually afford it.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our first car is a Gemini, an old and dilapidated car with a leaking roof when it rains. It has no airconditioner but it is comfortable to ride in. We bought that from our life savings and when funds ran out, we sold it to my brother in law.

6. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's always better to get a car sooner rather than later. Age doesn't matter so much as getting your needs taken care of right away. The most reliable cars are usually the Japanese-made cars like Toyota and Honda, although what matters more than general reliability is the maintenance schedule you employ for the vehicle, and every manufacturer makes a few duds car-and-truck-wise. Buying the car is expensive upfront, but the true expense is everything that comes after that.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You should buy your first car when you get your license and need a car! No point in getting a car if you know you will be using public transportation or walking most of the timne, for example. For your first car, it is wise not to spend a lot and get a super expensive one, since it will be your first experience. Think this will be your guinea pig until you are confident driving!
    And regarding not feeling like an adult yet... relax, it comes with time. I'm 26 and sometimes I still don't feel like an adult!

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If you live in an area with plenty of public transportation and don't really need a car right now, then there is no hurry really. You can always start putting aside money as if you are paying for a car and insurance, to see if you are able to stay within a budget. Plus when the time does come to get a car, you'll have enough for a down payment, or maybe even enough to pay it in full.

My folks gave me a Buick Century when I turned 16. It was never really "mine" so to speak, but they let me drive it for a couple years, until I finally bought a car of my own - a used 1988 Chevy Cavalier. That car was a total piece of crap but it got me around for a few more years. My car payments were only like $150 a month though, so it wasn't too much of a dent in my wallet.

9. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Depends on your situation. As others have said, if your area provides decent public transportation, it may not be necessary to get yourself a car right away, but saving up is a good idea in case you feel you’ll need one later on.

I myself have a bit of a history with cars, such that I’m technically driving my own first car now. It’s a 2005 Volkswagen Beetle, paid in full. And I have to say… I love that thing, but it was abused before I got it, in ways I didn’t realize. Needed some extra love (which will hopefully be worth it if I leave this rock and decide to sell the car to someone else - kind of like, "I loved this car and hopefully someone else will after I do, because I took good care of it"). So I don’t think I’d recommend it to a car newbie, unless you know of a reputable mechanic in your area who knows their VWs. This was hard for me to find, and pretty pricey to boot. A Nissan can take a pretty good beating (I was borrowing one prior to this, which had also been run into the ground but still got me where I needed to go) and Toyotas and Hondas are usually quite durable as well.