Free Gadgets On Facebook?

Discussion in Facebook Offers started by gracer • Feb 11, 2016.

1. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    My eyebrows raised when my husband showed me something on Facebook that I think is too good to be true the other day. He told me that Facebook chose him as one of the lucky users who would receive either an IPhone, a smart phone or a Mac book. He only had to answer some questions under time pressure. Then when he was done answering, he was led to an online shopping site.

Well, we just shrugged it off because I didn't believe it was true anyway. Have you ever encountered this kind of thing lately?

2. mccanono

mccanonoMember

Threads:
    Haha. Yes, I've encountered lots of this actually in the past. Before, I'd go sharing posts in order to "win" free gadgets. But when I realized I was doing it for nothing, that's when I stopped being too gullible.

There are actually signs when you can tell something is just a gimmick or not. If the promotion is being held by a reliable organization, then it's highly likely that it's legit.

3. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    @mccanono@mccanono It can get frustrating sharing and re-posting without really getting anything in return right? lol Sometimes I would just smile if I see some of my friends sharing the same posts on Facebook promoting a site or company knowing that they have probably been lured into exerting efforts for nothing. A lot of people could really take advantage of other people through social media so it really pays to be very wary with promotional claims. :)

4. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I have not encountered any such kind of thing on Facebook based on the fact am not a regular visitor to the site. Facebook is a minefield to navigate since all sorts of scammers are on the prowl. I had such an experience with a survey company which was promising freebies and other bonuses once one signed up. After this, I was directed to a lengthy survey questionnaire which took a whole hour to fill only for the page to go blank. I had done the survey for nothing.

5. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I also experienced that with survey sites promising this and that, only to find out after answering their long questionnaires that I wasn't qualified for that survey. It's very disappointing because I have spent time in answering questions hoping to get my fair share but I only ended up wasting my time.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I experienced the promise to get some free thing by doing something which I did not pay that much attention to. It seemed like a gimmick so I paid not attention. There are so many scams around it is safer to just not click on it.

7. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen those ads on Facebook a while back but I just ignored them as I did not believe them to be true. I never believe that I would win anything especially a new iPhone. I have not seen the ads in a while so maybe they got rid of them on Facebook. I think they wanted you to buy something or get some kind of money from you.

8. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I feel like the people who posted that were more onto stealing identities because they did not offer any product or ask for shares of their link but they were asking for information like e-mail, mailing address and some other information. So I told my husband to just ignore it because there are just so many people who try their best at stealing unsuspecting people's identity, and that's pretty dangerous because they could use your identity in committing crimes.

9. Jannatul Ferdous

Jannatul FerdousMember

Threads:
    I have seen such contest many times but never be part of them! I always find such things unreliable, now a days most of the hackers try to hack your data through such contest! Who knows when it may happen, so I always remain stay away from them. Few days back there was another post saying Facebook is giving you some prize money if you can complete some survey, some people really believe that as well! Later Facebook itself confirmed that they are not giving such any opportunity!

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So far as I have researched for I'm always looking for discounts and feebies, nothing about facebook having any kind of contest or giveaways at all. Facebook has a report a problem click and feedback too, for those that want to inquire or report a problem too. I too am very skeptical about something that sounds too good to be true!

11. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    The only thing that I have gotten free on Facebook was product samples from established companies. I wouldn't trust anything that said free gadgets on Facebook. There are so many scams on that site. Be careful what you sign up for!

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have encountered a lot of similar offers like that, but I just ignore it now. When I first heard it though, I tried to get as many referrals as I can to be eligible to get a free gadget.

13. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm sorry to spoil the fun but i don't think those raffle contests in Facebook are true. The first of its kind that I saw some years ago is the Mercedes Benz. All you have to do is to share the post and comment on what color of the car you like. What followed were appliances and lately I think there are beauty products. Ask all your Facebook friends and I'm sure no one had won.

14. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, this happens a lot, and it is so that people will click through to other websites and then give personal details. More often than not, nothing is won. This is a shame really, as there are some genuine giveaways on websites sometimes that aren't taken notice of because people just simply assume that it is a scam like everything else.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also think that when they ask for your email they will send you spam emails, and they might even sell your personal details to other companies, so never fall for those type of offers! Your credit card can get charged too without your consent.

16. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unless it is an established and well known company that I trust to a certain extent, I wouldn't put any attention or trust in Facebook offers. There is just too much of a chance of it being a scam of some sort. Remember the whole if it "seems to good to be true..it probably is." I would apply that to this situation. There really is no free lunch for most things, you are going to pay in some kind of way.

17. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As soon as I see those promotions, straight away I shut down. All of them always sound too ridiculous for anyone to fall for, anyway. -and my mantra has always been if it sounds too good to be true, it almost certainly is! I mean, they could at least try to make them seem plausible LOL

18. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    Yes, I have encountered a lot of these Facebook offers. And nope, I've never believed in any of them. Fraudsters can make up pages and profiles on Facebook easily. Unless it directs me to the official webpage of the manufacturer, I wouldn't believe an offer for a free gadget on Facebook. They would usually ask for your information and I wouldn't give it away just like that.

19. gats

gatsNew Member

Threads:
    A lot of those promotions are just marketing tactics to collect private information or to try to sneak in an affilliate sale. I only believe free givaways if they are from reputable facebook pages and they usually have a very low value.

20. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are lots of scammers on Facebook and though there are some who make the assumption that if something is on FB, it might be legit before taking action you need to take a step back . . .

There are easy ways to identify a scam. Anything that sounds too good to be true is a scam. There's no way you can win anything without participating in any contest. And it's highly unlikely that someone would get your contact information without you sharing it with them.

But one of the best ways to avoid scams is by making a list of legit stores [no auction sites though]. This way when you see a promotion and confirm that you are getting something from a trusted retailer you won't miss out the deal but won't have your money stolen by a scammer.