Free Internet Access?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by NinetyEighty1 • Sep 16, 2017.

1. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I recently came across a book on Amazon that promised free internet access by building wife antennas. I haven't brought or read the book yet and it has mixed reviewed both good and bad. I was wondering if anyone here every tried to obtain free internet hear by installing antennas and was successful with it? It sounds like a good way to save money to me.

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No such thing as free internet access, you got to pay for wifi and if you go to an internet cafe, which I haven't gone yet, you do pay too. At McDonalds, they got free wifi so does the library have free wifi that I know of, but home wifi-you got to pay for it. No one has any free wifi at home. Right now Spectrum has a pkg. deal going on that you can look into, and it's really good deal to save, money. One thing I found out about Spectrum, not all channels are on the basic cable, and if you'd like channels not on the basic you got to upgrade and it'll cost you more when you upgrade. I hope Spectrum has the special 29.99 for internet, phone and cable in your area too. This is the best deal I've seen in a long time.

3. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    Free internet access would definitely change a lot of things for the better and billions of people will be glad if it ever happens including me. I hope it will be achieved very soon if ever it was really planned to happen to benefits the people of the world and not just the rich.

4. NinetyEighty1

Threads:
    There was a very small part of me that was slightly doubting the idea but it could be a possibility in the future. Though, you have the right idea about Spectrum and finding good deals with both internet and cable. I am going to still have to look further into the book one day for more information, just in case.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Free always comes with catches such as compromised security so is it worth it? Even today people in business will spend money on dedicated IPs to avoid any hacking or at least try to. I think internet access is cheaper these days, so access is not the issue, but the security of the connection is more of a concern.

6. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    There is a saying that even in a free country, that freedom is not free. So is the same thing with free internet access because in reality, it's not really free. It's either only through hacking that one might tap into the network mainframe of any establishment that have it's own network and internet database. Without this, anything that you buy and say that you would be successful in building our own network with free internet access is definitely not feasible.

7. walter12

walter12Active Member

Threads:
    I would rather pay for my own wifi connection than use any method advertised since i don't see the point when the fee is not that high.

8. NinetyEighty1

Threads:
    You have a good point there. However, as I stated I have not read the full book yet. It had a good number of good and bad reviews on it, perhaps the author was merely exaggerating with the title and meant cheap ways to have good internet. Such as building your own wifi antennae or something of that nature.

9. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    The idea looks good, but everything that's free is never 100% free when it's something for everyone. Sometimes it's better to pay to be able to have a quality service.

10. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't heard about one building his or her own WiFi antenna before, maybe it's a new tech innovation. I have known of building network mast and it's not something an individual can do solo because the amount of fund and technology involved in building is so much that it's rather wise and more economical to subscribe to other people's or an already existing network to have their internet access.

11. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    It would be the losing of Internet provider if it would be realized. Imagine it is free and anybody could use of it. Now where's the income or the return of investment of the Internet provider be sourced. It would be, I think, impossible. But in our country, the government would subsidize the Internet connection for the people free. The plan is to provided free Internet connection to public places, market, airports, seaports but it is the government that will shoulder the subscription for the people or the public. I think this plan is feasible.

12. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I've actually heard about this three or four years ago and I knew at least two people (my cousins) who took advantage of the so-called free internet through an antenna. They didn't actually make the antenna themselves but someone who knew how to do it sold them the service for a one-time fee of $30. It was illegal because it entailed unauthorized tapping from the signal of an internet provider.

To be honest, I also did my own research to find out how I can do it myself (in other words, I don't want to waste $30). I found a lot of resources/forums on the internet on this topic but I was hesitant to do it. My cousins only managed to enjoy the free internet for four months because the internet provider found out about it. The service was cut and the telecom sent them a bill for the illegal access with the threat that they will be prosecuted.

If you want free internet, then you can explore public places that offer free WIFI such as malls, coffee shops, or convenience stores.

13. annitha

annithaActive Member

Threads:
    We only have a free internet access in the cyber coffee or in the certain hot spots in town. It is easy to acquire a free WiFi line but quite hard to spend more than 10 minutes sitting on a bench outside getting a clear signal. I will rather pay a fee and use it at home.

14. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    That's the point or disadvantage of free Internet. It couldn't be avoided or controlled the number of users. The greater the number of users would affect the strength of Internet signal. Unless there's a strong signal that could handle the influx of users.

15. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    So far here in my country network providers offer free Facebook minus the pics and free access to certain sites, but that's about it. I don't think it will be completely free though, because if they did that then they would lose profit, and a huge chunk at that.

16. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, its possible to get free WiFi but how many hurdles it might take would maybe wear a person down pretty fast-and they could have restrictions on their hotspot sites as well. I see many of these Hi-Power antenna's on Amazon for sale that pick up the local hotspots near your house like Mcdonalds-but you must live rather close to these establishments. I would search Amazon for "WiFi antenna's" and see what you come up with-and also read the comments from the people that purchased the product below.

17. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I was once getting ''free'' internet off a Linksys modem someone had but the internet was abysmal. We even installed an antenna to get a better signal and it worked but it was still slow. Then later, they added a security password to it so we bought the antenna for nothing, haha. We had slow but free internet for a few months but it wasn't worth it.

18. annitha

annithaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see a use of a free internet if I can't open a single page in my browser. Also, many pages look really sketchy in the smartphone.
    In case of a bigger number of the users, I don't even hope to get a clean signal.
    I can get a clean signal at the few places, but they are not really comfortable to surf, so I see no use.
    I think it is only good to send a quick messenger message, but not for any other more demanding task.

19. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I have the idea of free internet being suggested on many ocassions, but I am not a believer in its viability. First of all, I believe that if it should happen it would expose users to many dangers, especially hacking and again, it would be a costly affair. How would the cost be covered, and wouldn't there be resistance from the internet providers?

20. annitha

annithaActive Member

Threads:
    It would not expose users to anything, because it would operate same as paid version. Why do you think that a level of protection is better or does it even really exist for paid internet?
    The only thing that would be evident is disgruntled internet providers who live off the fat subscriptions.