Free Phone From Computer

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by Farrah • Jul 6, 2012.

1. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I am looking to make at least local calls for free from my computer. Is this possible? If so, please share how.

2. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    Not that I know of. The closest thing would be using a MagicJack. They cost $20 and you plug it into your computer and use it as a phone through the speakers of your PC. If Im not mistaken you need internet to do this. I don't believe that there is a free phone service out there yet.

3. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Outside of Google Voice, I don't know of any other free options for you to make free calls. Now, I would advise you to not get hooked on GV as they are said to start charging sooner than later. But, until that time, they are a great option to make local and long distance calls.

4. youtubedomination

youtubedominationMember

Threads:
    I believe you may be asking about VOIP? If you are in the US, your best option would be Google Voice. If you are in pretty much any other country, iCall is a great program.

5. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    Google Voice is probably your best option for now. They will be like many other things and will start charging soon.

6. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think there's a way to do this aside from Google Voice, though GV could possibly change in the future so try not to get too attached to it.

7. tetutato

tetutatoActive Member

Threads:
    Wait Google Voice is free to use and I can call cell phone / landlines using VoIP? o_O How do I sign up?

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you have a Google account? If not sign up for gmail. Unfortunately, now when you sign up for a Google account, you will automatically signed up with Google Plus.

9. tetutato

tetutatoActive Member

Threads:
    Of course I have a gmail account :p but oh, this is Google Plus? Apparently I'm not old enough for GP. -_-

10. cluckis

cluckisBanned

Threads:
    I really think Skype is the best. I know you can't call phones for free, but once in awhile you'll get free credit from them.

I got $2 worth of credit a few months ago.

11. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I use Skype and I never pay for credits. I just use the Bing Rewards for 60 minutes talk time. It only costs 90 points for the credits you should join and you can make all your calls for free.

12. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Ahhh yes. This is exactly what I was looking for! This will surely come in handy. I have also learned that with yahoo messenger I can call someones cell phone for free.... live and learn.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use Skype with unlimited calls for $2.99 state side a month. I have a local phone number so people can call me for $18 for 3 months. The sound is good on both ends. It's not free but it is reasonable. I tried google voice but I had trouble making out going calls.

14. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would recommend MagicJack. I bought the $80 MagicJack Plus because they touted "you don't need a computer" to use it. Not really true! Technically, you don't need a PC, but if you don't use a PC you have to use the MagicJack with a router. Who has a router without a PC???? You do need some type of internet access and if you want to switch over a phone number you already have, it is $20 in addition to the $80 device.

The phone quality is very poor. I have lots of people tell me they can't hear me very well. It doesn't matter whether I plug it into a phone or if I just use the speakers through my PC. I think I would skip MagicJack.

15. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    Yeah thats why I stated it wasn't free and you need a PC with internet connection to use it - most internet connection now come through a modem. In addition - Google talk will be charging starting this fall if Im not mistaken so it won't be free anymore.

16. xShivam

xShivamNew Member

Threads:
    This is possible; and its free. You can download Dell Voice and call to most of Canada for free. Check out their homepage at

17. micromachne

micromachneMember

Threads:
    Aside from Skype, I know you an sort of do this with Google Voice.

18. LiquidatorBrunt

LiquidatorBruntMember

Threads:
    This is somewhat disappointing. I have been looking for a way to save money on my phone bill. MagicJack kept saying they would release a version for Linux operating systems but then never came through. Is there any word on how much GoogleVoice will be charging? My concern with using Google is I have no faith that they will keep anything of mine private so I'd rather not have them in control of my phone conversations.

19. Budgeteer

BudgeteerNew Member

Threads:
    I've been using Google Voice/Talk as my home phone for the last 2 years, and it's fine. I would also consider using the Ooma Telo device and get free VOIP service (plus some basic fees that will be less than $3 a month most likely) for life. It's a decent chunk of change up front, since the devices usually go $200 to $300, but the absence of any real bill makes up for it. If you don't have the money up front, you could always try Skype, since I think their fees are about $4 a month or so, but you can't use a regular phone with it like you can the Telo.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I heard that Google Voice/Talk is free, but only for US residents. You could also use Skype, but you have to pay for call credits.