Full Service Gas Stations - Anyone Use?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Jason76 • Nov 20, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Obviously, it's not a money-saver, unless it is bundled with perks like a free auto-checkup (window washing, checking fluids etc.) However, though, in the US, unless someone is sick or old, it's sort of shameful to use it, especially if your a man, though that might be sexist to say. Anyway, in certain other nations, though, full-service is taken for granted, as it was in the US at one time, say the 1950s.

Oh, by the way, I'd have to say that full-service should be an option some places, but where I live it is not. It's because there are cases of old people etc. who maybe cannot pump the gas.

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We hardly ever see a full service gas station, and most gas stations are completely self-serve and pay with a credit/debit card at the pump. Even ones that are staffed only will pump fuel, and do not do the whole little checkup that a real full service gas station used to do.
    I remember when a gas station always had someone to not only fill up the gas tank, but they also washed the windows, checked the water and oil, and if you asked, they would also check your tire pressure. Now, you have to do all of that yourself, and even pay to put air in the tires.
    We usually stop at Sam’s Club and put fuel in our car because it is a high quality of gas, and it is as cheap as some of the off-brand gas stations are.

3. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Here I see most gas stations that have full service but that is because the workers expect a tip. Mostly every job here consists of getting tips to be able to earn enough to survive especially tourist places. One can even find people who go around and help people get out of the parking lots when there is a lot of traffic but it is all to receieve a tip. Here it is tough if one can't make a tip or comissions.

4. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We have occasional free services available at petrol pumps but not regularly however, they provide you free air pressure check up and set your tires right in case you need them (most of our car tires are still with conventional tubes). However in my current location there is no free services available as most of them are entire self service stations and there is no tubes in cars. If you do not have the credit card you can go to the counter and pay for your petrol and in case you feel like buying something to eat or take away.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Being a woman and not knowing about cars, I made it a habit going to my favorite full service stations when I was driving. I never ran out of brake fluid, my radiator was always filled with water and my windshield wiper water always filled. Clean windshields and window always when you go to full service. I grimaced when the self service stations was coming up and never went to them favoring my full service station instead because being a regular they always checked the important fluids and belts my car needed in between servicing at your mechanics, so I felt safer with full service stations always when I was driving.

6. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe I'm a guy but I normally only put in motor oil. In that case, I want check-ups occasionally, but I don't need to go to a 50s style gas station, - which by the way, in much of Asia, is still the way, for constant ones. However, though, it might be convenient to get things checked at every gas stop - which would be a fill-up for a full service - or is it a fill-up? Do most people order fill-ups?

#6Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2018
  7. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    @Jason76@Jason76 :)I don't know, but I always wanted a full service fill up with a free car wash. When I go to my regular gas station they know when they checked, so no duplication of services. I like the pampering and felt safer when I was driving always. I started driving in 1972 and kept driving till 1998 and no engine troubles ever.

#7Dec 21, 2017
  8. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe Do you feel full-service stations would save people money? I mean, how do the number of auto mishap in say, the US 1950s compare to the present day? I cannot really say without looking at the stats. However, it seems to reason there would be way less.

#8Dec 21, 2017
  9. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    @Jason76@Jason76 :)That's a very good question, but I don't know. I only know that the full service worked for me. I stopped driving just as it was being phased out, so buses are how I get around now. Gas was cheap, full service still available and less cars on the road back then. I sometimes miss my car especially when the weather is not so good, but most of the time I get by. In emergencies, the bus system picks us up for free to distribute us at the designated areas of evacuation.

#9Dec 21, 2017
  10. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    I live in the USA and full-service gas stations went out with the 1980's everything is self-serve now and it's not hard at all to put gas in your car and to check the oil and tire pressure. My father taught me how to put gas in the car and check the oil and to check the tire pressure by the time I was 13 years old.