gadgets for children

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by melapie • Aug 6, 2012.

1. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen a lot of cases like this mostly with celebrities and rich people. But if it was up to you, would you let your kid/kids have their own cellphones, Ipods, Ipads?

I wouldn't probably let my kid have a cellphone until he's 12 or 13. I just don't see the need for it. And although we have an Ipad, it wasn't bought for him therefore not meant as his plaything. The family use it for all sorts of things, mainly like the computer. But I do let him use it for educational games. How about you?

2. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Same here. When they were younger, there was a common PC for the entire family. They had their time to play their computer games in the evenings. But as they grew up, they got their PS3 and handheld gaming devices, which they share. Getting their own ipad is out of the question at the moment... not that they stop asking for it though!

3. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Yet mobile phone is a necessity these days. If they already knew how to use it to call their parents, its a lot better to had it with them. My niece which is 5 years old know which number to dial to call their parents, police and hospital.

4. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    I never let my kids have a cell until they were 13 and they had to buy it themselves. I believe when you have to pay for something yourself, you'll take better care of it and I wanted my kids to learn this as well. They also had to contribute to their bill.

Unfortunately, with the disappearance of pay phones, mobile phones are necessary. I still don't think younger need their own cell. Small children shouldn't be out on their own to require the use of a cell.

5. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I bought my son a mini laptop the year before last (he was 7 then) and didn't have a problem with it. He'll be able to use it for school, and he also likes to play games on it. He can also use it to watch Netflix in his room.

Cell phones are another story. I don't think he needs a cell phone until he has a job and may need it to communicate with me. At that point he'll pay for the monthly charge himself.

6. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I would buy them for my kids. I might wait a little while for the cell phone. I'm not sure how long, but he would have to be somewhat responsible with it. My son is only 18 months right now so there's no need for it for several years at least. But if I had money to blow, I would buy him an ipad at least right now. I saw a little girl sitting next to us on the plane who was 22 months old and she was using an ipad (I believe it was actually her mom's?) like she knew exactly what to do. It sure helped for traveling. She could draw, play games, watch movies, etc. on it to entertain herself. It was actually really interesting to see how good she was at using it. I wouldn't wait too long for an ipod either, whenever he asked for one. My son loves listening to ours when we let him.

7. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I hope to keep my kids from cell phones until they're driving, fat chance right? We have an ipad and have downloaded a few things for our toddler on it. They are mostly educational. I don't want them to have their own gadgets until they understand the value of a dollar. Six hundred bucks for an ipad is a lot of money for me. Not something I want to just hand to a kid and let them think it's theirs.

8. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I am not too keen to get mobile phones for the kids but a computer is a totally different thing altogether. I got all my children involved in using computers at a very early age.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that if I had a child, a simple cellphone with camera will do, especially if he or she is below the age of 13, so that he or she can reach us easily. But when my child is already in high school, then I'd probably give a more expensive gadget if I'm satisfied with his or her grades.

10. Albertharris

AlbertharrisNew Member

Threads:
    In today many children have a different types of electronic gadget. Each electronic gadget provides a lot's of functionality for child entertainment. By the little electronic gadget they are doing a more activity like a playing games, listening music and etc. They are spending more than time to play these types of gadget.

11. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    I won't be buying children expensive gadgets. Small children (less than 12 years old) I think still have no high regard of stuffs. They don't usually care whether an item is expensive of not. To them it's just another thing that doesn't have importance. Usually they grow tired of one toy and want it replace after a couple of days of they tend to break it after only a few uses. If you want to buy them a gadget, cheap stuffs would be better. When it gets broken, I'm sure it won't worry you too much as it's not expensive.