Garden Lighting.

Discussion in Home & Garden started by luckycharm • Jan 26, 2017.

1. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Do you use lighting in your garden. Nowadays there are many solar powered garden lights available online which automatically shuts off and starts recharging during day times. When it becomes dark it switches on automatically. They are weather proof too.

I was planning to buy a garden light for my front yard garden. But I wonder if it will attract any pests due to lighting. Have you used any garden lights ever and do you recommend this?

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I have never used such lights but they seem to be great as they are solar powered. I think they would attract pests though but just a few around the light as I have seen at my uncles house. He doesn't have the same type of lights but he does like for his front yard to have some kind of lighting so he has a few out door lamps. I can't really tell much of a difference in the amount of pests that are around with or without lights to be honest.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We had once a solar garden lamp that was a gift from my wife’s sister. I was excited to install it in the garden because I am a fan of solar power. Unfortunately, it stopped working after a week or 2 and the main cause was the battery, that it wouldn’t charge anymore. When I inquired with a big home depot center, the attendant said that solar power is a scam (not true to its promise) and those solar garden lamps are just for decoration but you cannot expect them to work for a long time. That was about 10 years ago. Now, I am hoping that solar power system has greatly improved.

4. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I think you are right. Ten years back solar power technology has not developed well I guess. However, If you go for a cheap lamp it won't last for long. I bought a solar powered torch a few months back from a super market here. It worked only for a few weeks and after that it was not charging well.

There are a lot of fake products in the market taking advantage of this technology. But I wonder why mobile manufacturing companies are not actually using solar energy to charge mobile batteries. Poor battery backup is still a burning issue when it comes to smartphones.

5. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    You can buy the solar garden lights at the dollar tree for a dollar and they come in different themes like for halloween-with like a skeleton or pumpkin that lights up. Also they have strings of these solar lights that put out a bit of light also-you could add them to walkways,driveways,gardens, and pathways as well. They are good for occasional lighting at dusk-but they do work a lot of the time-and depend on how much sun you get.

6. walter12

walter12Active Member

Threads:
    Well you have a lot of options that you can consider for your garden in terms of lightning but choose what fits the style the best.