George Foreman grill, surprisingly a great product!

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by dansmith • Mar 21, 2014.

1. dansmith

dansmithNew Member

Threads:
    Who has used the old George Foreman grill? When I lived in the barracks, that grill was probably the best thing ever because it saved me from having to eat at the mess hall every night. I had to buy my own meat for it, but it was worth it just to have fresh food, that actually tasted good.

The old advertisements for it were accurate; it really works how they said that it did. The juices stay inside the meat and grease drains out and into a drip pan instead of sticking to the meat and making it more fattening. It’s an extremely useful tool for those of us trying to diet; I always bought chicken breast and had grilled chicken with some low fat cheese on it.

My overall grade of the grill is an A+ because it really did do the things that all of those infomercials claimed that it did. Hopefully this post helps anyone that’s ever wondered about this grill.

2. Scottf13

Scottf13Member

Threads:
    I had three of them at one time, and I also kept one stashed in hiding when I was in the Army. Those things are freaking awesome. I need to get another one. I gave away one of them when I was going to move, and the other two somehow didn't make it to my house.

3. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I totally forgot I had a George Foreman grill! I moved and ever since then, it's been in one of my kitchen cabinets, hiding. But I need to bring it out again! It's pretty good. I wish I had a different George Foreman, however, because mine is a little small. I do like what it does, though. It's fast, easy, and gets rid of grease. Maybe I will upgrade to a bigger one. :)

4. bms00

bms00Member

Threads:
    I really don't use it - the feature where the grease runs off is nice but I pour out the grease anyway from a pan. And I find it much harder to clean than a pan. Grease would get caught in a few different places and was hard to get out.

5. fruii29

fruii29Member

Threads:

I agree with you. I had this grill, and it did helped me reduced a lot. The grease really falls off from the meat but it still taste good. I even bought one for my sister, to help her reduced some weight. It's perfect with my T-bone steak. But my sister like to use it on fish steaks. She's very thankful to me when I bought her that. She said it was the best gift ever. Now she's slim but she still use this grill frequently.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We have two of them in our household, the original model and a larger model with detachable plates. They are certainly convenient, but I've had my eye on some other brands of electric grills for a few reasons.

I wish there was a way to adjust the upper grill for more delicate food - perhaps some way to lock it in place without allowing it to completely smash the food. When using delicate breads, for example, to make a grilled cheese, it will squash the sandwich flat like a pancake. Also fish tends to get smashed as well unless it is something firmer, like salmon.

I also like how other brands, such as the Cuisinart one, allow the upper part to "rock" so it can lay flat on top of the food and not put more pressure on one side than the other.

While the slanted design allows the fat (and juices) to drain off, it's a bit too steep, causing the food to slide down the grill. I wish the grill lines were closer together and had a cleaner edge instead of the current smooth wavy design. Not enough of the grill surface touches the meat.

By the way, I've noticed that Big Lots has been selling refurbished models of the Cuisinart indoor grill for only about $39 or so. That's a huge discount from the normal price of $99 - $120 that it typically sells for.

7. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that its surprising that is such a great product. I loved my George Forman. I think that it removes fat and juices really effectively. Also the benefit of seeing them in the drip tray for me was that it put me off some things all together. It also cooks meats perfectly. I am going to invest in a new one as I had a small one which is not big enough for two people, because you either have to squeeze everything on or do thing separately.

8. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    I think they make fantastic burgers and really anything that you decide to grill on them. The George Foreman grills aren't bad as far as the cleanup either so overall I think they're definitely worth the investment, especially if you use them a lot. :)

9. cookiemonsterv16

cookiemonsterv16Member

Threads:
    I would definitely like to get one for my husband. The few times that I had seen it on TV it really does look like it is worth having and I'm sure it would come in handy for my husband he would love it. I think it is a must have for every kitchen and I would love to try it out.

10. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    Oh I absolutely love my George Foreman grill. When I went to college and lived in the dorms we didn't have kitchens so my George Foreman grill got me through college! Haha, You can quickly cook some meat on that thing and it tastes really good!

11. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    Oh wow, yes, this is a great product! LOVE it. I love the small one because I mostly cook for just me. Beware tho, NEVER ever scrape with a metal scrubber, then if you do EVERY thing will forever stick. But with another one, I didn't, and it worked great like just out of the box. Just get to the clean up fast on it, that's the only drawback I ever saw to them. And that little tray in front ~ you do have to have it! It makes great food. Now I'm hungry, lol

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had one a long time back but have not thought about getting a new grill. I think I will get one just to be able to make quick meals without the microwave.

Thanks for the review.

13. SavvyGirl2014

SavvyGirl2014Member

Threads:
    I LOVED my Foreman Grill when I had it. I need to actually buy another one because for some reason I can't find it since I moved. It really does work the way it was advertised, which is a sigh of relief with all the bad products on the market. The good thing about the newer Foreman grills that make them even better is that they are bigger and have attachments as well. So you can really use it more like an all around cooking item for almost everything. My favorite thing to make on the Foreman on the grill was either steak or lamb. The lamb stayed juicy and cooked all the way through. I would recommend it to pretty much anyone.

14. brandon0818x

brandon0818xNew Member

Threads:
    This is great! I've been looking into buying a new grill for a while, so this is really helpful! George Foreman is definitely a known brand, so I think it's pretty reliable. After reading your response, I'm almost sure that I'll be in possession of a George Foreman Grill by next month!

15. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Add me to the Foreman fan club, mine has served the Mrs. and I rather well. My parents are also hesitant to use these sort of products and I would have thought they'd prefer their own grill built into the stove, but no they loved the Foreman so much they had to buy one as well. I think what we all love the most is the double heating surface so it cooks from the top and bottom at the same time.

That said, it can be a pain to clean, but that's usually remedied by doing so immediately after you take your food off the grill.

Overall though, it works great and it's priced reasonably well too. It's one of the few devices I'd replace with the same product even if it broke down on me.

16. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    I agree! We love our Foreman Grill. My teenager especially loves it, he says he can grill meat and not have to worry much about cleaning up. It's perfect for when he's on his own for dinner and wants something more than just Mac-N-Cheese.

17. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I LOVE my George Foreman grill. I was actually surprised that it turned out to be such a wonderful product. Usually when you buy something from an infomercial it isn't what you expected. But this, this is so much more. Not only does it make cooking easy for me, but my husband can use it! That is saying something. That many could burn water, haha.

But it is great for cooking meat. It cooks out all the grease. I use it for sandwiches, grilled cheeses, you can cook anything on it. Just remember to spray it with non-stick cooking spray and then wipe it down while it is still warm. Be careful though!

18. atribble73

atribble73Member

Threads:
    I also have a george foreman grill and I am in love with it! I actually bought it for the leaner, more healthy eating part of the grease leaving the meat. I am now going to admit that I use it because its simple and cooks your meat through and through, without it popping grease all over you, while you are cooking it.

19. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Foreman grills definitely weren't terrible. They worked decently and could withstand a lot of use. I owned one for years and used it every once in awhile with great results. I just wish I still owned one.

20. teamrose

teamroseMember

Threads:
    I like the old grill, but love the new one I have better because it has a bread warmer on top. Simply awesome.