Getting A Discount

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by to7update • Jan 5, 2017.

1. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Just recently I was visited by a representative from my gas and electricity company and the guy said I was eligible for a 10% discount, all I need to do was call their support number. This was one strange visit and I was doubtful, but I made the call and got the discount. I mean, what company sends a representative to offers discounts?

2. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I think your doubt is quite reasonable. In such cases there will be a hidden agenda of the organisation and sometimes we will not able to sense it at first instance. I think there may some other conditions to fulfill to get this 10% discount, may be like buying some accessories from them. You will come to know of it only when you call them.

In some shopping malls there will be a display saying "up to 50% reduction" and when we pay the bills for the items we took we come to know that the actual offer is only applicable for some costly items. That is why they have used "up to" in their offer. So as customers we need to read between the lines before jumping into a conclusion. You have all the reasons to be skeptical.

3. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Here in our place there are two gas filling stations were opened and operated. There are people who campaign for the motorists to avail the discount offered by the said gas company and in return they are given an incentive for every customer/motorist they referred. And I think there is no problem about that. It is only a different thing when they are asking for an order pay for a priority for service.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This thread reminds me of the gimmick of some vendors of LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) stove gadgets. The gadget is connected to the valve of the stove that connects to the LPG tank. The gadget was supposed to save you in terms of gas consumption. Their spiel at first is the prevalent fire caused by LPG stove. And they make it appear that they are from the Bureau of Fire hence your impulse is to trust them. And when your trust is already there, that’s the time they would sell you that “gas regulator” which can save you money in your consumption. However, that is not true because the regulator is just an ordinary regulator. My mother was almost duped by that. Fortunately I came home just in time before she paid for the gadget.

5. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    Never trust any incentive from a company because not all are genuine, there may be a few but most of them have been crafted to dig into your pockets. A certain company gave us discounts for their gas products and most of us bought them only to find out that it was enlisted on a list of companies that existed illegally. Their gas cylinders were weak, some started leaking others exploded. The company stole from us and risked our lives.

6. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    I would be very wary about someone turning up on the doorstep and giving a phone number that they want me to call with my account details. It would be too easy for them to be a scammer or to misuse the details in some way.

One genuine tip to save money is to change your tariff or supplier every year. The fixed deals only work for a limited period and once they expire the supplier puts you on a much higher tariff. If you keep moving each time your current deal expires, you can get much cheaper prices.

7. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik AngaraActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe they do not want to lose out customers. So, they sent a guy to make sure that you have their trust and as a token of appreciation, they have offered a discount as well. I do not find anything suspicious in this. It's all a part of their promotion and to retain customers. He only asked you to call to the support number which I feel is completely safe provided the company is well established. Here in my country, I have seen many sales representatives going around trying to convince people to buy their product and offering some discounts. It's all a part of market strategy.

8. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I am a bit skeptical about the way he approached you. You could have asked why such generosity? Then perhaps you could have known their agenda.

You have to be careful with gas cylinders as sometimes discounted items are half full.

9. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    This is something really strange!
    Even if there's an offer, it is utterly uncommon for a vendor to purse the customers to avail that.
    No worries! as you've only gained something. Even if there's a hidden agenda, that is unlikely to bother you.

10. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I had never heard about or seen a sales representative go pay a visit to anyone especially not to offer discounts. I would feel skeptical about it too, that is one strange way to get a promotion. Well there's always a first time for everything, I am glad you got your discount and wasn't scammed.

Just curious, were there no purchase requirements nor other type of catch to get the discount?

11. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah lol! I think I've gained something, but when I look at my bill I don't even understand it, as it seems Chinese. I think they make it complicated on purpose.

I am currently negotiating a discount for the new windows in my home, with a good conversation the price comes down $100 or $200 and we are all happy. :)

12. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We used to have discount on electricity bill payment in the past but now they have withdrawn it. You will be surprised to know that our government offers discounts and rebates to defaulters in the name of one time settlement but nothing to honest consumers. As far use of cooking gas is concerned they say we are already getting in the name of subsidy.

13. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    So the government there is responsible for gas and electricity @Ray1@Ray1? In my country it was like that too, but maybe 5-10 years ago they sold it all, and now it's from the responsibility of private companies. I cannot really say if it's better or worse, but the prices are not better, that is for sure.

14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree private sector is more efficient in providing services compared to government agencies. like our phone services have come in private sector and thus became cheaper as well available on demand. In the past an applicant had to wait for a telephone connection for 5-10 years. The government has plans to transfer electricity to private sector but the government employees are not allowing the electricity going to private sector.

15. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it's not the case here exactly. Some very strange legislation came out in the time of privatizations process, and the way those companies were getting clients was far from being ethical. Either cases, I think my company offers me a good price, but again, the bill is just too complex for me to understand it fully.

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @to7update@to7update Actually it all depends on governments and willingness of the political parties. Here in my country there are too many parties which keep pulling the legs of ruling party so they have to take decision under pressure and to keep everyone happy including the large government workforce. They cannot give everything in private sector which may take away at least 50 million government employees plus their family members (voters) away from them.

#16Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2017
  17. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I'm glad that you can get a discount. Saving money is so great! Here in America, if you qualify, you can get LIHEAP for electrical and gas payment assistance. Every State has it, but you have to apply every year for it and qualify for it. Telephone companies in America, has the same kind of payment help called Lifeline too for low income people. At benefits.gov you can see what you qualify for aside of these 2 benefits for Americans, there are other benefits like rental subsidy where our government helps pay for rent too.

18. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 There are a lot of interests involved and a lot of money is on the line, that is why everything is so hard to understand. The government applies taxes that come along with the bill, and our effective consumption ends up being a small part of the final value that we pay. Can it get any more confusing than this?

#18Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2017
  19. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I believe that many persons would not have made the call because it was a very unusual way to offer a discount and it would seem to resemble a scam. You jumped out of the box, made the call, and it paid off so kudos to you. This goes to show that things may not always be as it would seem to.