Getting Rid Of Bath Soap To Save Money?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Beast_Titan • Apr 30, 2017.

1. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    There is a guy on Youtube who showed how he was depth free and how he doesn't spend money anymore. He got electricity from solar panels, He got internet connection from free wifi, he got food from Gardening and he recycle his own waste for compost.

The most extreme way of him to save money though is he stopped using soap and shampoo! He just bathe in the ocean and scrub his body with sand then rinse his body with fresh water to get rid of salt.

He said that he doesn't stink at all. Are you willing to get rid of soap in your lifestyle to save money?

There are also celebrities who are vocal about how they stopped using soap because they think it is healthier and it saves them money. Others still uses soap but only for handwashing.

Would you go this far to save money?

2. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't go this far to save money. I can resonate with the solar panel installation but the composting of my own waste and bathing in the ocean is taking it a bit too far and these methods would be a bit tedious for someone whose livelihood is dependent on efficient time usage. Imagine that I have to get to work in the morning and I would have to get out of the house to go bathe in the ocean and then wash off with fresh water to save on soap, this would probably put a strain on my getting to work on time and would be too much to endure just for the sake of saving on soap cost. Something like this would probably well suited for people who are off the grid but wouldn't be acceptable as far as I am concerned.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pardon me but bath soap is the primary requirement for hygiene. So if you don’t use bath soap then you cannot say your body is cleansed of the dirt. And that guy who said he bathes in the ocean water, hmm, I don’t think that is effective. Besides, how can you do that if you are living away from the sea? Maybe what you can do to save money on bath soap is to always place the bath soap in a dry place so the melting will be minimized.

4. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Scientist actually had proven anti-bacterial soap is bad for you. People can actually survive without soap. Brad Pitt cleans himself with just lemon juice, apple cider vinegar,water and baking soda. So humans can live without soap.

5. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    There is antibacterial soap, which is different (but as noted above, shouldn't be overused). Regular soap isn't technically a necessity. You can get clean with water. Soap is a lubricant that helps you get clean easier.

Still, I'm not willing to go to this extreme to save money. I feel cleaner with soap and I like a mild, fresh, clean, fragrance.

With the number of places to shop and compare these days, you can certainly find some cheap soap to use. I've found it for as little as 25 cents per bar at times. You can't get much cheaper than a quarter. Even for a bit more, it's worth it to me.

6. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Getting rid of soap to save money will only leave the person unclean and may emanate offensive body odour. I can't imagine taking bath without soap, how does the oily stains or stubborn dirt get to leave the body without using soap. Getting rid of soap entirely to save money is like predisposing the body to germs, pathogenic bacteria and other health problems. You can go for the cheap soaps to save money but not rule out soaps entirely.

7. Trixen

TrixenMember

Threads:
    @Beast_Titan@Beast_Titan Free wifi. Must be a very generous neighbor? ;) Anyway, soap is really costly if you place them in a wet container. It will melt in no time. I cut my soap into cubes and I keep the ones I don't need yet in the cabinet.

#7May 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2017
  8. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I guess we can suvive without soap and shampoo just like people did along time ago but they had methods to get clean which we are not used to. I wouldn't stop using soap and shampoo though. Like @Beast-Titan mentioned about Brad Pitt using other household items to shower makes sense, those items are logical as they are known to do great with cleaning and getting rid of bacteria. For me soap is cheaper than having all those other items though thats why I will keep my soap and shampoo.

9. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Probably he has been using that for he's running out of bath soap. Using the salty water for a bath has a good effect to the body, but that is done for the therapeutic reason of a certain malady. Getting rid totally of soap is like inviting germs to get into the body.

Soap has so many benefits to give to the human as well as their laundry needs. For me, I don't want to dare to do away with soap just to save money for the reason of hygiene.

10. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I can't imagine cleaning myself with ocean water and sand! I used to swim every weekend at a nearby beach and always ended up with sticky hair. We had to wash our hair with fresh water, shampoo, and soap as quickly as we possible. Bath soaps aren't that expensive and we can always maximize their use with proper storage. For many of us, it can even be more expensive to go to the ocean than buy and use soap,

11. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I can live without a soap for couple of days but then discarding it totally sounds impractical if not impossible though. Yes, there are ways you can do without soap by using natural substitutes like flowers and herbs but a time will come when you will need soap and shampoo.

12. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I can't get rid of soap even if I stay near ocean. I don't feel like I have bathed without using a soap. I have tried it as we don't get soaps in my hometown and there was this one time when I forgot and had to bath without soap for a day. I felt really uncomfortable.

13. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    I would not even try walking down that school of thought. It is like saying you brush your teeth without using any toothpaste. It is absurd and cannot work. I think it would be more prudent to use a less expensive soap. After all, some soaps even cost less than 0.5 dollars. I ever tried to wash my face without applying any soap and I felt like I had not done anything. I had to do it all over again. Soap is essential and will remain a key factor in ensuring that we get our bodies clean.

14. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I am not extreme in a way that I don't stop using something in order to save money. For example, I don't stop using cosmetic, toiletry just because I want to save money. However, I try to limit my dependency on the products I use and save money. For example, I take a bath every day, but I don't use soap every day. Using soap every day has a certain drawback, you will be deprived of natural oils.

15. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I like the fragrance of using soap. Sometimes my partner says to me after I have bathed 'mm you smell nice' but it is only soap he can smell.

I sometimes double up and use hand soap in my bath as a bubble bath so I don't need to buy a separate bubble bath but I would not be comfortable using no soap at all and as for scrubbing my body with sand .. no thanks!

16. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Since the guy lives by the sea and has 24/7 access to free clean sand, I expect he can get away with not using soap or shampoo! Lol! I have read of people who live a very close-to-nature life and do not use so many of those things that we take for granted and cannot make do without. But those are people who seemingly make their own soap in a very cheap economical way. I personally cannot even dream of not using soap. If I didn't wash my hands with soap, I cannot sleep!

17. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I came across some of the herbal liquids which can be used as a replacement for the soap. And they seem to be lot better on the skin. As they can be used to get the skin clear and also remove a lot of dead cell. Not everybody is going to like the herbal solutions though. Some people prefer to have soap that has good smell and often herbal stuff doesn't have any such there.

18. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    There are thinks that I cannot give up just for saving money and some of these are: the food, the water, the soap, shampoo, Pc and the Internet. I can give up on buying clothes, perfume, books, etc.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @overcast@overcast I suggest you to grow Aloe Vera which is good for different uses before bath, during bathe and after bath. The plant grows too fast and spreads even faster providing you juice and gel for your daily use. Fortunately Aloe Vera has no side effects and works very well as moisturizer, sunscreen etc.

20. Shana Peckover

Shana PeckoverMember

Threads:
    There is no way I would stop using soap. If you want to save money on soap, just save the tiny little bits left over, that usually get thrown away. I saw a show with a woman that would save them and put them into muffin tins to melt and make her own soap....I just don't think that I would feel clean without it.