Give Groceries As A Gift?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by thisnthat • Oct 31, 2016.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Would you ever give someone groceries as a gift, or maybe buy a gift certificate from a grocery store, if applicable? Maybe it doesn't sound like a very exciting gift, but if you know someone who is pretty much broke and could really use it, would you do it?

I may just go with a Walmart card and let them use it for whatever. They can buy groceries with it if they want or buy other stuff. I was just thinking that the grocery store is much closer. They don't always go to Walmart because they don't want to spend the gas money.

I think I can also get a discount on the grocery one, so they'd get more for less. Do you think something like this would be an okay idea?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For my 3 nephews, I give them a big bag of groceries for Christmas. It's actually for their family - they have children of their own now. But the groceries are more of imported items that I buy from the Duty Free shop like juice and chocolate drink, candies and chocolates, canned goods and even fruits. Every year, that kind of gift is my Christmas gift for them plus some money for their children. It has been my habit out of practicality. At least their family can eat spam and corned beef which I'm sure they seldom buy.

3. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Given your reasons and motives I would definitely go ahead and gift it. If it is for a good cause, why doubt?

The truth is, people feel more happier and grateful when they get what they really need and is useful for them, rich or poor.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Gift hampers are a nice idea because people can then have nice food and don't feel guilty about it. I'm quite canny when I shop for myself, but food hampers are a bit like fine dining. You treat yourself to things that you don't buy all of the time, but like, or brands that you don't feel you can justify buying.

I think it's a nice idea, because everyone deserves a treat. I know students love them, and everyone eats food so it's not a wasted gift.

5. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    That is a good idea too. I always did like making up gift baskets. Maybe I'll do that instead, since it tends to be a bit more festive. Maybe I'll make up a food basket and tuck a card inside. That sounds like a plan.

I can make it real pretty, and pack it full of nice treats, and then add a gift certificate as well, so they can pick up a few staple items. I think that does sound nice, so thanks for the inspiration.

Now, I just need to decide what to get and find a great basket or food hamper to pack it all in. I just picked up some smaller baskets yesterday to make a birthday basket and a baby shower one.

6. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    If I were gifted groceries I would be more than happy whether I am going through tough times or not. Food is the greatest gift in my opinion, I love it when I get invited to eat in my birthday or receive food I can cook later. I love food and I bet most of you do too.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think they are a great idea and you can decide on a budget and tuck a gift card in as well. If someone gave me a food hamper, I would like some luxury biscuits (cookies) some Italian pasta, a bottle of something nice to drink, and things that everyone can share.

It's better to have something useful than things that end up being regifted in a goodwill store. My exes siblings gave us some candlesticks once, and I would rather they just have given us a bottle of wine or a box of chocolates. They went straight to the goodwill store as we didn't even use candles.

8. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    I personally ask the person first if it's not a surprise thing already of what he really need. If he say that he wants cash then I would give him groceries. It's a psychology thing and I'm sure you're familiar with the wordings: Wants vs Needs. :D

9. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    @kamai@kamai I agree, and like Theo said, it's really nice when you get something special that you might not regularly buy for yourself.

This is so true. I've always been a fan of giving and receiving practical gifts. I like something I can use. I like to give something that others can use. It also helps avoid building up unnecessary clutter. My mom always says, "Don't just give people 'stuff.' Most people have more than enough stuff."

That's another good point, @biege@biege, although when it comes to gifts, I don't mind giving wants instead of needs sometimes. A lot of people won't buy things they want for themselves, so I like to treat them to something they wouldn't get on their own.

10. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I think that would be a great idea. As long as they can use the gift then I don't see nothing wrong in giving them a mundane gift such as a grocery item/s or supermarket gift certificate. I have received a department store gift certificate before and I used it to buy a shirt. But also beware, as some people can be ungrateful if you give them something too mundane. I know someone who is like that.

11. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that's kind of why I was asking. It could seem like a boring gift to some people. To me, it would seem like a great gift, especially if I were broke. Even if I didn't necessarily need food right then, I'd be thinking of it in terms of it saving me money (and then being able to use that money for something nice that I want).

Maybe I just over-analyze. I think I will still give such a gift, and toss in a couple fancy treats along with the "normal" stuff.

12. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    All of your plans are good. The recipients will surely be very happy. Gift giving is the easiest way to make other happy especially those who least in life, those who are poor. In my case, I may use any of the three suggestions you have made here. Grocery gift is good. Gift certificate is handy and it is also good. Walmart card token convertible to gift from the store is also good.

13. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I would definitely LOVE a gift card for a grocery store. Having groceries bought for me is also nice but I'd prefer choosing. I think it's a great gift! I think that would be the greatest gift I'd receive and especially if it's a good amount of credit/money. If someone doesn't appreciate it, I don't know what's wrong.

14. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @thisnthat@thisnthat, Yeah I think that would be your best bet. Actually, some people don't even think that it's boring, some people think that such gifts are just plain cheap, lol. Then, instead of being grateful, they would think that you're just stingy and do not want to put more effort in finding a gift. So you made a good choice to add a few more treats to your gift.

15. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks @Nakitakona@Nakitakona and @TheKnight@TheKnight. I appreciate your comments. I hope the people I had this idea for feel the same way that you guys do.

Groceries aren't cheap though. ;) I hope they wouldn't think any of that. I was putting thought into it, since I figured it would help them out. I think it's always important to add a little something special, even when giving a practical gift, so yeah, treats are a must.

16. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @thisnthat@thisnthat, Yes groceries aren't cheap, but if I were to give someone a gift, I would opt to give cash instead, so that they can just buy whatever they want with the money. It also spares me the hassle of having to shop in the mall.