Every time one of those as seen on TV ads air with something targeted for kids all of my kids say " mommy mommy I want that!" When I say everything I mean everything. Any way my kids saw the Glow Pets commercial and of course that became number 1 on his birthday wish list. So I wanted to make that happen for him. I was able to find a selection of the Glow Pets at our local Walmart in their as seen on TV section so we bought him the puppy one he wanted which was the blue and green puppy. We took it home and wrapped it. The next day we had his birthday party and we had given him the other gifts we had bought along with gifts the guests brought. When it came time to open the last gift which was his glow pet he opened it up and screamed with excitement, so we knew we picked the right gift. So immediately he wanted to try it out so we pulled open the belly of the pillow and pulled out the battery pack and screwed off the back and put them in. Went into his bedroom and shut the lights off after making sure the battery pack was set to on. We then tried to turn the lights that are in it on to make it glow and it turned on. He was so excited that it was working and that he had his glow pet puppy. After a while he had wanted to go and play with his other gifts. So I pushed the button that should have shut it off only it did not turn off. I squeezed the paw again and still would not shut off. Then I started to smell what smelled like melting plastic coming from the button switch that is in the paw of the puppy pillow. I brought it closer to my nose to confirm that was where the smell was coming from and noticed that it was extremely hot. I quickly pulled open the belly and the battery pack and took out the screw opened it and pulled the batteries out. It was pretty obvious this was not safe to have a child sleep with. I had hoped that maybe this one just had some type of malfunction and we had purchased it at our local Walmart so we decided to try and exchange it. My son did not quite understand what was going on but we assured him we would get him a new one. We brought it in and was able to grab the last puppy Glow Pet they had and brought it home. I put the batteries in flipped the switch on the battery pack put it in and squeezed the button in the paw. The lights flashed on but then immediately shut off. So I tried squeezing the paw again to turn it on and the lights seemed to turn on while my fingers were pushing the button but as soon as I let it go it would shut off. I went and told my husband that it looks like this one is not going to work either. So he opened it up to try and figure it out and tried putting the switch from the ON position to the TIMER position then he pushed the button on the paw and it turned on and stayed on. These pillows have a timer option so that after you child has fallen asleep they will shut off so its not on all night long. Any way my son was happy that it was working and I figured well we would probably rather it be on the TIMER option any way so it would work out. Later that night he was excited to sleep with his new glow pillow and even wanted his bedroom door shut, this is not something he normally does as he is only 5 and feels safer with the light coming in His Room from the kitchen. So we obliged and he fell asleep right away. I went to check on him about an hour and a half or so after I had tucked him in and the Glow Pet was still on. I thought huh it was supposed to shut off after 20 minutes for safety reasons. I opened it and checked the battery pack and it was definitely set to timer. I pinched the paw to shut it off and it would not shut off. I was pretty irritated at this point so I shut it off but turning the battery pack to off. So the next day I tried to figure out what was going on and it turns out this one was also defective, that is unless they have that issue. I would not recommend buying one of them no matter how much your child might want one. They are just not safe and a pain.