Go For Slower Internet To Save Cash?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Denis Hard • Nov 21, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Internet service providers have different internet plans priced differently based on [connection] speed. Those who want higher internet speeds quite obviously will pay more. However fact is most people don't need lightning fast connections if all they use the net for is to read articles, watch a few videos, etc. That's why choosing the cheapest internet package would be a good way to save money.

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    From what I have been told, the slower connection speeds are not any good if you primarily watch movies or videos because they have to buffer a whole lot more than at the higher speeds. If you just watch a short youtube tutorial every now and then, or listen to a song video, you will probably not have an issue. However, if you have Netflix, Hulu+, or one of the other movie channels, and you watch movies a lot, then having to wait for the movie to buffer all of the time would be a real pain.
    I was willing to pay a little more for the high speed internet and have a cheaper cable TV connection with less channels because we both enjoy watching movies, and have Apple TV.

3. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I was coming in to say just that, if you are a streamer of any sort, then suck it up and pay for the necessary speeds to do it. If you play online with any sort of multiplayer, you most likely will need to do that. Right now, I am able to get by on a 4G hotspot. It sounds crazy, but the only time it really becomes a problem is when I'm on YouTube for some videos. YouTube will even tell me that is why it has to buffer because of my internet carrier.

For the times I want to watch something on a website, I just have to sit through the stuttering and hope that I can get enough of what the point was with on a staccato playback.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The amount of money I save by having a slower internet connection is not worth the time I spend waiting or having to reset the router because it is too slow for the number of people using it.

5. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    This sounds like terrible advice. Time is money, it's not worth saving a bit of money and end up ripping out your hair when a webpage takes hours to load. Not to mention, most people watch videos and listen to audio online. Do you not know how painful it is watching videos that buffer every 5 seconds? There are somethings worth splurging a bit of money on, one of them is internet (especially google fibre)

6. ChaplinXXX

ChaplinXXXNew Member

Threads:
    Now the whole other side to the story is that you can pay for FULL SPEED but your provider is treating you just like all the people in your neighborhood who are not paying for high speed. People don't necessarily buy low-speed internet anymore because everyone around you has high speed internet and that's what you'll end up with anyways.

To save money though, I do recommend for people that do not "play videogames online" or "stream games online" or any of that sort to just invest in a device that grabs the wifi connection from the nearest open hotspot. By opening up their wifi routers to the public, people/business owners/homeowners are basically agreeing to let everyone use them.

I have a Dunkin Donuts literally twelve steps from my house. I've been using their wifi for the longest time because they are a company and have extremely powerful internet that they open to the public.

Good luck to you.

7. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    Okay this will make you laugh. I use DSL and would still be dial up had the provider not closed up. I watch videos online all the time so speed is not really an issue. When I see these packages from Time Warner and the like I think they are nuts, not to mention rather expensive. Why pay $89 or even $49 a month when I do just fine at $17.99 Now the thing is , you can't get just a dsl anymore, they want you to go FIOS, well eventually they will get to me but till then I don't care. This is just as fast as the cable at work.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not worth it, as no speeds are guaranteed unless you have a fiber optic cable in your area (in the UK) otherwise you are at the mercy of how many people are using the internet at the same time as you. Even then the disclaimer will state they cannot guarantee speeds and are not liable.

Having used slower internet, it's too frustrating and if something takes too long to download it times out and you have to start again. I tried a package with a certain amount and then unlimited after midnight, but it wasn't worth it as I had to stay up late to download and upload anything large. As I was tired, I was more prone to mistakes and exhausted trying to work around that schedule to save money.

9. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    Never again! Once I got used to super high speed of Comcast, I'd rather eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches all month long in order to afford high speed internet.
    Just downloading anything on YouTube took forever before Comcast.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think going for the cheapest pack is the most practical as well since I've already gotten to compare the higher grade ones and they aren't really that much different, or at least that's how my experience was. I think most of the difference is in download speed but I honestly don't download that much and would rather stream anyway.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you there! If I could, I'd absolutely go with a lightening fast internet connection. Sadly internet fees in my country are extortionate and the speed appalling. Like someone else stated, time is money and time wasted sorting out your internet is just so hassle some. Sometimes you spend more time waiting than actually doing anything. Try watching YouTube videos; as I have a slow connection, I can tell you now sometimes I even give up trying to watch videos. The stopping and starting is shocking. To be honest, I don't think in this day and age we should be discussing affordability when it comes to the internet. It may not seem like it on face value, but I strongly believe a decent internet connection should be a bare necessity made accessible to the masses at a reasonable price. How we ever survived without the internet, I can't begin to fathom!

12. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm it really depends. I've been able to get a decent connection with the 15mbps plan that I have now. Before I had a 75mbps plan, but I don't really feel we need that speed, as long as we make sure that there's no one hogging all the internet.

13. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I am on DSL right now and get speeds less than 1 Mbps. I am going to get a plan for 4 Mbps next month where they will supply the router and everything. That really hurts because I just bought a new router after the one I was using for 6 years died. Now that will just sit idle. Maybe I can hook it up somewhere else as an access point but I don't see how with one phone line connection in my apartment. And even with a standard router I can connect to the internet wireless anywhere in my apartment without any effect on signal strength.

But I have been on DSL for the past 4 years and I cannot stand slow internet speed. I don't even download anything but just surfing and everything is a hassle sometimes. Or when HP makes me do those monthly upgrades which take me 15-20 minutes when on any cable modem it would take a minute or less. You all are talking about 15-20 Mbps. I don't even think there is an offer like that in my area.

#13Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2014
  14. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I stopped watching television in general a while back. Now I watch all my tv shows on Netflix or Hulu. That's why I stopped paying for any kind of television service and pay a little bit more for a faster internet. I save some money and the speed guarantees a great watching experience.

15. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Usually not, but sometimes I have to save some money (It's always necessary to have some money left over, isn't it?).

Well... It's kinda complicated for me because I really like to stay connected. But then I remember there are the points with free wi-fi (which is a good thing) and in the end, everything is fine.

16. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    NO, I wouldn't put that into consideration going for a slower internet to save money. On the long run you'd be losing as you can hardly achieve enough tasks under such a poor network. If you are a Freelancer poor internet connectivity can jeopardize your rate of production. What if you are working on a time based project and get slowed down by your internet, that will be a terrible experience. I'd rather go for internet sharing, so long I am sure the speed is excellent, in order to save money.

17. kingcool52

kingcool52Active Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't either. Luckily for us in the UK Internet companies are quite competitive so the prices aren't too bad really especially for unlimited usage which is what I have. It's important that you have a decent internet speed as most of the work we do now is online. You're more likely to lose more money if you have slow internet from things like taking ages to pay bills etc.

18. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Speed is just relative term whdn it comes to the internet connection. Most super fast connections have the T and C which you most likely have overlooked. There is a speed breaker after a certain limit so if you are inti streaming be careful.

19. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Paying for a slower Internet connection isn't saving money at all here in our place. Lesser or larger bandwidth to pay gives no difference as far as the speed Internet connection is concerned. In fact, our government is finding some measures to overcome the slow speed of connection offered by the big network providers. It has already given a warning to the networks if they couldn't comply with their required speed according to their promo or mentioned on their ads, their franchise would be cancelled.

20. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that's optimal. The amount of income you could produce with faster internet makes going for slower internet a bad idea. Also it can be frustrating so the variable cost aka your discomfort would be above your revenue aka the internet package.