Google Voice is a Free Phone Service

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by TNSabrina • Sep 2, 2012.

1. TNSabrina

TNSabrinaMember

Threads:
    A friend of mine introduced me to GoogleVoice last year when I could not afford to pay my cell phone bill, and it has been a godsend. GoogleVoice is free, and you just use your Gmail or Google account to sign up. You will get to pick your own phone number from a list Google provides for your area. You will need a working phone to get started using GoogleVoice, because you’ll have to verify your phone; however, after that, you can simply use GoogleVoice without another service provider.

If your phone is not currently working, then I’d suggest using a T-Mobile phone and buying a pre-pay Sim card, which you can buy for $.99 at

This way you can use GoogleVoice when you are away from a wireless internet connection. GoogleVoice works by using a wireless internet connection. You can also send text messages online and check voicemail online. There are different apps you can use with GoogleVoice, but I currently use Groove IP Lite (the free version), and it works great. So if you’re looking to save money on your cell phone, especially pre-paid, this is perfect.

If you have questions or need help, please feel free to post here.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I didn't know you could get a phone number through it. I've only ever used it to make outgoing calls and it works really well for that. I preferred it over Skype for the most part even.

3. anniep1978

anniep1978New Member

Threads:
    Thank you for posting this! I have been looking foe ways to lower my phone bill. Is this similar to Magic Jack?

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Because of abuse, Google Voice is not going to be free for much longer. It will definitely be free until the end of 2012. So, get it will it's hot! ;)

5. xStylezx

xStylezxMember

Threads:
    Yeah, Google Voice is a handy service. I've had a phone number through it for many years now. Though I haven't used it in quite some time. I love all the features it has and need to get back to using it!

6. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I use Google Voice, but I just plug a microphone into my computer to make calls. I didn't realize it had as many features as you described above, such as being able to use it when you are away from a wireless connection.

7. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    I use it mainly as a "front" number. I give it to people as my main number and just forward it to my cell phone. That way, if I accidentally lose my cell phone under the couch or something, I can forward calls to my land line and can use the web interface to txt.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a GoogleVoice that I use to give to people I don't really want calling me on my home or cell number, like sales people. It is convenient to have. Thanks for the post, I have not used my number in some time now.

9. jooomes

jooomesNew Member

Threads:
    The problem with Google Voice is that you are unable to use it over a mobile network. Other than that, it's great. My primary use for it is to give out my Google Voice number to people who want my number, but I do not want to talk to. You are able to cancel Google numbers which is also great.

10. Jennifernew

JennifernewNew Member

Threads:
    Google Voice enhances the existing capabilities of your phone, regardless of which phone or carrier you have - for free. But every application is having some disadvantage. Similarly google voice is also having some limitations like:

1. Google’s phone service does not yet work from mobile phones, unlike Skype. You can call someone else’s cellphone, but you need to make the Google call from a desktop or laptop computer. That’s too bad, because many iPhone owners using Skype say that Skype on Wi-Fi network sounds better than the iPhone’s own voice call service.

2. For now, only Americans can place calls, although they can call most of the world — free within the United States and Canada. It costs generally 2 cents per minute to call other countries.

3. You can’t dial 911 from Gmail.

4. Nor can you dial 611 for customer service.

5. Unless you sign up for Google’s free Google Voice service, you can’t specify your caller ID number. And if you don’t have a Google Voice number, you can’t take incoming calls to your computer.

6. You can’t use Voice Calls for Gmail unless you install a special browser add-on. Some workplace IT departments ban the installation of software they haven’t officially approved. In fact, even if you’re using Google’s Chrome browser, it will warn you that the add-on may contain a virus or other malware, because it does that for all downloads.

11. riku517

riku517New Member

Threads:
    I love using Google Voice for those pesky deals online that has me to input a number. Though the voice mail translation is a bit buggy (and, at times, hilarious), it's great to not get spam to my actual phone. Google Voice is an amazing product and all you need is a gmail account (which is FREE)!

12. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:

I have been using google voice for about a year now and I really like it, you can get voice mail and you can also text all you want free. It is a really good way for me to keep in touch with my kids and their families in Texas. I really like it and I am always recommending to others.