Got A Tip That Has Paid Off

Discussion in Utilities started by Ke Gordon • May 27, 2016.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I got a tip on here, that i think has really paid off. Someone said to do laundry run dishwasher etc. after 8pm the off peak hours after electric. I have been doing this, and my electric bill was way low for last month. I think it really has made quite a difference. I am not sure who posted this, but Thanks! That bill is one of my biggest expenses, and the lower I can get it the better! It is especially important during this hot summer months, when no doubt the AC will be running at times.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So do you mean to say, electricity rates are lower at night so if you do your laundry or any other undertaking that requires the aid of an electric equipment is better done during the wee hours? I do not know if the same principle applies in my city but there were occasions where I did laundry at night and the bill does seem lower compared to those times I did laundry in the morning.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use a pay as you go plan now. Got myself a prepayment meter and to be honest I don't know if the rates will be lower at night since everything is already paid for but I don't spend as much money as I used to in the past anyway as at times wrong meter readings could inflate the bills.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That sounds interesting Denis Hard. I don't know if our electric company offers something like that. I could check with them. We seem to have few alternatives when it comes to our electric bills here in Virginia. I really wish we had deregulation in this state. I would love to pick my electric plan. I think I will talk to my legislator about that.

5. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    In my country, there is no such provision and the amount of electricity you use is charged at a flat rate irrespective of the time. The only service that goes down with regard to offpeak hours is the cost of mobile phone calls. However, some people are planning to migrate to prepaid and those who aren't are installing their own electricity meters to avoid being overcharged by unscrupulous company officials.

6. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    My electric company actually offers an online program to track the electricity peak hours and tell you when it's the cheapest to do things. Works great! I save at least $20-$30 a month.

7. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    The electricity company has always indicated that there are lower rates for off-peak usage. However, I don't know if this statement is correct because it seems that not many persons have given attention to this revelation by the utility company.

8. GraceMarie

GraceMarieNew Member

Threads:
    Mosquito yard spray:

• Big bottle of blue, cheap mouthwash
    • 3 Cups epsom salt
    • 3 stale 12oz beers
    • Mix until salt is dissolved
    • Spray anywhere
    It won't hurt plants/flowers, and mosquitoes will be gone for a few months.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have never heard of this but I suppose I will give it a try soon. The only problem is that it's usually hottest during the day so it's much more sensible to keep the airconditioner on during that time rather than night time but I suppose if the savings I'll get from doing this is significant enough it's worth a shot to try and adjust. I will be trying this out next month and checking my findings by comparing it to this current bill we will get soon.