Haggling on the price of used cars

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by espeons • Jul 11, 2014.

1. espeons

espeonsNew Member

Threads:
    How many of you haggle on the price of a used car with a garage or dealer? Have you had success with this and how was your haggling received? I'm thinking of buying a car soon and am in need of some haggling tips. Please add your own tips and stories about this below.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sorry I am not a haggler I just research some facts about the vehicle so that I know how much I may be interested in paying. If the price is more than that I will walk away. I also have a mechanic with me when I look at cars to give me advice on how much it will take to get the vehicle thru inspection.

3. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    They say a used car dealerships worst enemy is a smartphone. Salesman hate it when you look up a vehicle on autotrader or alike right there on the spot as it really hoops their own ability to haggle with you. They either match or beat the best price or you walk away. It's really as straight forward as that. I've heard that some apps even let you simultaneously ask for quotes of local dealerships based on the best offer you received from dealership A and see if any are willing to beat it.

4. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    I haggle only if necessary. If I see that the car is still in good condition and if I feel that the price justifies the car then I just pay right up front, that's what I did when I bought my Audi. But when the car looks to be in a shape wherein the price seems to be a little but unfair, I try to reason out with the price and most of the time they do drop them.