Harvard Or Hard Work?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by iamawriter • Jul 14, 2017.

1. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @Jamille@Jamille Hard work definitely includes good education. I have not said anywhere that illiterates should be given an opportunity just because they are hardworking.
    I was just talking of the mindset of those employers who blindly go for those who are the products of prestigious institutions over everything else.

#21Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2017
  2. Kiama

KiamaMember

Threads:
    Attending school doesn't necessarily mean that you will become successful. And not attending school does not mean you will be a failure in life. I have seen people who have little education only having undertaken primary(basic) education and they end up employing graduates.

What determines success in life is wisdom and not knowledge. We should be inventors and innovators and not solely depend on classroom knowledge to make it in life.

3. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I cannot really say if one or the other saves more money. I mean, a good business investment could cost as much as college. Anyway, besides looking at cash, I'd have to say that college isn't necessary nowadays to get ahead - but mark my word, you're going to have to work hard no matter whatever choice you make.

OK, expanding on that idea, imagine you get a humanities degree and you note there are not a lot of jobs. However, though, if you're willing to go a step further and turn your humanities thing into a blog project etc. then you might make some cash.

Now assuming you get a math or science degree. Well, that could mean easy jobs, but it's incredibly tough to get the degree. I mean, people drop out of Calculus II like flies.

Now, finally, looking at the guy who didn't go to school at all. Well, he's going to have to go the extra mile, sort of like the humanities major.

4. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    Having gone through the comments, this seems to be a touchy subject with many. I'm therefore hesitant to throw in my opinion that might set off a new row of argument. However, I will say this; Harvard and hard work both has its pros and cons. Like someone rightly pointed out, some organisation will not consider your application if some of these top schools are not listed on your résumé. Hard work or better put work experience is a really big asset and has gotten so many through the door. But is this enough to take you to the very top? Can you stand against the competition?

5. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @tallulah@tallulah The mindset of organisations is to blindly prefer those with degrees obtained in big companies and many a time that is preferred to experience. The EQ is also totally ignored. EQ is in built and does not come from degrees.

#25Aug 28, 2017
  6. annitha

annithaActive Member

Threads:
    I learned to know that many people have the high ambitions but little skills or natural ability to achieve it through the higher education. Even with the best schooling and the greatest grader, many of the students fail in life because nobody thought them how to deal with the things and difficulties in the real life working environment.

7. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    It's a very vague comparison, since going to college regardless of it's status helps you in the future but nothing can be accomplished without hard work.

8. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @annitha@annitha As long as society does not change and give importance to qualities that help solve real life issues no amount of hi fi college education is going to help although college education could be a plus point.

#28Sep 1, 2017
  9. annitha

annithaActive Member

Threads:
    @iamawriter@iamawriter I learned to know how the society gives importance to unimportant things and how they give accolades to the people who essentially mean nothing to you and me.
    Instead of developing what really means something to us all, a society decided to pay money and status to the things that make no difference whatsoever.
    Education is only a good thing if put in a good practice, otherwise, it is useless.

#29Sep 1, 2017
  10. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @annitha@annitha It is only the well to do that can afford to go to prestigious colleges and not necessarily the brightest. This fact should be borne in mind by organisations while employing candidates. Many great minds lose because they do not hold degrees from such colleges.

#30Sep 2, 2017
  11. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    @iamawriter@iamawriter I think it's a bit of the both but hard work matters more in all sense. Why do I say so? Even if you happen to see yourself in Harvard, hard work is still needed to get the best grades and graduate with a good result. Harvard is not just any college, it's an educational institution of the best among the best. Any one single slip up would cost some much.

Also even if one graduated from Harvard or any other high prestigious University, without working hard, the certificate won't fetch you any thing. I have seen quite a few people that graduated from more than 6 years without getting any reasonable job to do.

#31Sep 2, 2017
  12. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @Heatman@Heatman I am afraid I have to repeat this. I fully agree with you that grades are important. But some deserving hardworking, and the intelligent will be left behind simply because they could not afford to go to those prestigious colleges.

#32Sep 3, 2017
  13. annitha

annithaActive Member

Threads:
    @iamawriter@iamawriter I think there is a failure of understanding that the Harvard and similar educational institutions are limited to the United States, and mean so little to other people in the world.

It is not all the best and I can vouch that the educational system in USA is a joke in other parts of the world.

Intelligence and capabilities are diversified, but for ones who are brought up in poverty in some third world country this kind of system means absolutely nothing.

#33Sep 3, 2017
  14. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @annitha@annitha You can say that again. Much water has flowed under the bridge since recognising such institutions as being the best in the world. The world of internet is there for everybody to pick up knowledge just by sitting at home.

#34Sep 4, 2017
  15. annitha

annithaActive Member

Threads:
    @iamawriter@iamawriter Apparently some people still think that the power of education can bring them to prosperity and a big pile of money.
    They couldn't be more wrong.
    Education is a good thing, but as you said it can be acquired over the internet or in some alternative way other than school.

#35Sep 4, 2017
  16. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    For people who have money, maybe going to Harvard would do them good. I mean, they get educated well and meet people who also have money, connections in short. by the time they're done with school and want to build a business or whatever, they already have money for that and connections. For people like me who do not have enough, I would rather spend my time building a small business than go to school. I would just invest my money and put up a small business until it grows rather than spend years in a room and then end up working for someone else once I graduate.

17. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    Hard work, Through hard work you can achieve your target and I am sure that this will be a good and appreciative thing. As we all know Hard work is the key to success.