Have and would you sleep overnight in a van?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by SpringBreeze • Nov 13, 2013.

1. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm debating on buying a vehicle that I could drive easily, sleep comfortably, and change clothes in. I've been considering RVs but someone advised me earlier to consider Vans. So, I'm wondering if anyone of you have slept in a van before? If yes, was it comfortable? Could you stand up straight in it? Was there much room for luggage after turning the seat into a bed?

Given a chance, would you sleep overnight in a van?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Heck yes! I've slept in a tent, not sure how a van would be worse. I'd sleep in anything though.. I love the great outdoors and would love an RV, but a van works too. I can make anything comfy, there's always a way. And I'm short so standing up wouldn't be an issue anyway lol. It's an adventure, go for it :D

3. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    One of my favorite vehicles was a Dodge Ram Van. It had a Mark IV conversion package and the rear seat went down to a bed. I added a feather bed and a down comforter and it was extremely comfortable. Some of the best sleep in my life. We used it for short and long road trips, Vegas and other places where you could either tire out before the rest and go catch a nap. This one did not have the pop up top, so standing, not totally. You could though easily change clothes in it. Compared to an RV it could go anywhere, park anywhere and the gas savings were tremendous. On long road trips we showered at the truck stops that offered showers and had a great time.

4. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    If you have ever slept in a tent, then this would be a piece of cake. Just remember not to fall asleep in the car with the heating on!

5. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    Well, personally, I wouldn't get a van over an RV. Especially if you'll be sleeping with someone every night like your wife. There just isn't enough room and comfort plays a huge factor in it. Yes, in theory there is enough space to lay down in, but I slept in a van once and it was just generally an uncomfortable experience. I suppose if you're used to the restricted sleeping arrangements that camping in tents offer then it should be a piece of cake, but for me nothing beats the luxury of having an RV with an actual bed and kitchen in.

6. Cara18

Cara18Member

Threads:
    I slept in a van before and it was very comfortable. I was able to stand completely straight up but I did have a lot of room to move, etc. A van would also probably be a lot less expensive than an RV too.

7. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    How did you shower at truck stops? I do long trips all the time but I've never seen this before. I should have wondered since truck drivers do need to shower too. Hmmh... this is a very interesting idea... Is anything required? Did you have to lie since you were not a truck driver? Are there showers for women? How much money was it?