Have you ever actually bought something from an informmercial

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by xcmiller93x • May 6, 2012.

1. xcmiller93x

xcmiller93xActive Member

Threads:
    Have you actually ever bought something that you saw on the TV? I never have, and I'd kind of be afraid to. If you have, what did you by and what was your experience with it?

2. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    My parents bought my sister the Ab rocket, and it's okay. It works just like it claims, but it takes more effort than it appears on tv. I have purchased the pads that you rub in circular motions over your legs to remove hair. They do NOT work at all. I'm sure some items are far better than others, but you have to be careful and don't expect too much.

3. Jeremy Green

Jeremy GreenMember

Threads:
    I actually bought a Shamwow, and it didn't have me saying wow. It was an okay product, but didn't absorb all of the liquids that were on the ground. I would give it a B plus rating.

4. ilike2save

ilike2saveNew Member

Threads:
    I was going to say that I have never bought anything through an infomercial, but then I remembered The Firm DVDs I bought. It was a stair stepper set with four different videos and workouts. I think I paid between $50 and $100 for it all. I'm sure it would have worked great...if I had ever used it. I think I opened one of the discs and didn't even make it through the whole thing. It was really hard! I ended up giving it away to a family member and I think she sold it in her garage sale a few months later.

I wouldn't mind trying out some Pajama Jeans, though. ;)

5. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    I've never bought from the informmercial itself. Like, you wouldn't catch me dialing up the number on screen or anything like that. But I have bought the same product, the EXACT same product at stores if that counts for anything.

6. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Like Dexterlab above me I have freely shopped through the As Seen On Tv things at the store whether it was Walmart or K-mart. Most of the things don't look very effectively however I've been pleasantly surprised by how many products have turned out to be either great or awesome at what they've claimed to do.

7. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I bought the magic jack after seeing on an infomercial and it turned out to be exactly as awesome as they said it was. I even remember the friend I was staying with laughing at me for buying something from an infomercial, and then being horribly surprised that it worked exactly as advertised.

8. Snrm

SnrmActive Member

Threads:
    I was just about to say the same EXACT thing :p. I never saw the point in actually dialing the phone to order one of the products. I would imagine the shipping taking FOREVER and the cost of shipping being a lot. There is always a store in any mall for "As Seen on TV" items so I just go to a store like that for infomercial items. The items that I have got from the store have been...inadequate to say the least.

9. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    I never have, but my mother in law has gotten the kids gifts frequently from HSN. I don't like the idea of paying anything for shipping (especially since that seems to be where they make their profits since they always say they'll give you double the amount of the item, but you must pay extra shipping costs) - whenever I shop online, I'm sure to find a free shipping code somewhere. Otherwise I'll just go to a real store.

10. fallace

fallaceNew Member

Threads:
    I think my parents bought a magic jack, but I've never purchased anything... I also received a Magic Bullet last Xmas, but I don't remember if that was in an infomercial?

11. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I have never watched an infomercial long enough to know what they were selling, let alone buy it. I really do not like them. But I was just asking my mom the other day if she bought anything and she said the mop she uses for the kitchen...it is pretty cool and it works.

So, seems like stuff actually is real and works. I just have a deep suspicion of them.

12. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I always wait until the product is available at Bed Bath & Beyond or a store like that. I have an aunt who buys everything she sees, but she rarely ends up using the stuff. A friend of mine swears by some kind of fancy blender she bought through an infomercial.

13. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I haven't, but my dad has.

And I swear, he must've been brainwashed, because when he was telling me about it (all 72 times...), he sounded just like an infomercial, lol. Fortunately, it was one of those hot air cookers and it worked great. We used to have one previously, but he became obsessed by the infomercial variety and had to have one.

14. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Neither have I, but my grandma bought one of the sweepers she saw on TV. Apparently it got the job done, it cleaned things as the ad promised.

15. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yeah. I used to get sucked in all the time. Make up, Proactive, weight loss patch, Richard Simmons Sweatin' To The Oldies, Surveillance Cameras, Focus Factor, trim spa, and many many more. Its not the products that I would really complain about, but their sales tactics. 1. They always have to put you in some club that is next to impossible to cancel, and 2. They keep trying to up sell you a bunch of crap that you don't want or ever need.

16. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    A few years back, just before Christmas, my husband was watching an infomercial for an electronic keyboard that could play anything you wanted. I didn't know what to buy for him, and he seemed quite taken with it, so I bought it. It was really easy to use, and he had a lot of fun with it for a few weeks. Then he lost interest, and it's been stored away ever since.

17. Toni6749

Toni6749New Member

Threads:
    I actually brought the Showtime Rotisserie Over (the “set it and forget it”) for use while I was in a college about two years ago, I don’t know if this counts but I saw the infomercial and then bought it from the “As Seen On TV,” store located in one of our malls here in Atlanta. It was a little cheaper in the store but it works like a charm.

18. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I have no actually purchased a product from an infomercial. Though there were a few products I purchased once they were in the stores: bump-it, ab rocket, and the InStyler. Everything works the way they described on TV. The bump-it does add height to your hair, and if you do it correctly, the plastic piece in your hair is not visible.

The Ab Rocket actually does work. Believe it or not, it requires more effort by your abs than you would think.

The InStyler is the best hair straighter/curler I have ever owned! I love it so much that I would recommend it to every single female I know. The only downside of it is, it costs $100.
    But I have never had a curling iron or hair stylish be able to get curls to stay in my hair. Normally when I would curl my hair at home, and apply hairspray and gel and whatever I could think of to try, the curls would fall out within 30 minutes. When a stylist did my hair for prom, those curls stayed in for almost two whole hours. I can use the InStyler to curl my hair, apply NO PRODUCTS and have curls that will hold for 36 hours before they just begin to lose their springy-ness. (Sorry I completely made that word up)

19. greenplankton

greenplanktonMember

Threads:
    I have not bought anything from an infor-commerical because they only reveal the good points of the product, and rarely the bad parts of it. Would not want to risk my money on something which I wouldn't want to buy or require of.

20. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    The thing is, most things they sell in infomercials are actually just in the mall for a way lower price here. That's why I've never bought from an infomercial. Their prices are outrageous.