Have you ever had your gas cut off?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by SEA81 • Jul 9, 2012.

1. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    Just wondering what happened when you did? My bill is due tomorrow, but I'm in the process of moving, just lost a job before I even started it (not my fault, apparently the person hired two people for the same position and one was a relative, so I lost out), and I have to pay several thousand dollars worth of taxes this week. I've never had anything cut off before, but I'm sort of afraid that may happen. What does it entail?

2. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I am not sure about your state, but typically the gas company can't shut you off because you are a couple days late. Now if you haven't paid your bill in a couple months you may get cut off, but if you are current they will not shut you off if it is not paid by the due date. They are a required utility and not a for fun so they do have more strict laws against what they can and can't do. Also they have to send you a shut off notice with a date as to when they will shut it off. If you look like you will be quite late with the bill, you may want to call them and discuss it with them. They may give you options and offer advice to places to turn for help. My gas has never been shut off, but I had a neighbor who was months behind on gas and electric before getting shut off notices. Her bill got out of control before shut off.

3. donaldplozha

donaldplozhaMember

Threads:
    I don't have these problems here in Albania, as there isn't any company that is furnishing me with gas. You buy a 15 liter tank filled with gas for a specific price per liter and you use it until it's over. Then, it's simple: if you have money, you go and buy another tank, or if you don't, you don't buy it :D

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    They won't shut it off just because you're a little late, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. In fact, you can go several weeks often times. If you're really concerned, call them up, tell them your situation, and offer a partial payment. They will usually work with you if you put out some effort.

5. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I agree with the others...I think that you should call the gas company. Just to keep things simple and flowing. You may be really inconvenienced if you do not communicate with them and let them know what is going on with you. Most places are very accommodating when you tell them what is going on. It makes life much easier.

All the best with your move...!

6. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I've had my gas turned off once and it took me months of not paying the bill. I think I was about 3 months backed up, and they gave me a warning that if I didn't pay they would turn it off. I'm not sure what your situation is like, but you shouldn't be concerned about that because it takes a while before they reach that point. Once it's gone you barely notice, unless you cook often then it will become obvious. I microwave most of my food, so I didn't notice a difference.

7. micromachne

micromachneMember

Threads:
    I've never had my gas cut off. But honestly, I don't think I'd notice if it was cut of, excluding taking showers of course.

8. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    I have never had my gas cut off. Right now, we're electric, thank goodness. I'm glad we have electric stuff, as it makes it easier.

9. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    Once you get a few months behind, they'll send you a warning, then, before they actually turn it off, they'll bang on your door and ask for payment before they actually shut it off. If you're not there, they'll leave a hanger thing on your door letting you know how to go about getting your gas turned back on.

When I got my gas shut off, I just had to suck it up until I could scrape the money together to pay the bill. Took showers at the local university for a few weeks, relied on the microwave for cooking and used a lot of blankets at night.

10. LiquidatorBrunt

LiquidatorBruntMember

Threads:
    When I worked for a gas utility it took 90 days of not paying your bill. During that time, if you at least made some payments or tried to work with the company they would extend it. The utility I worked for didn't really want to shut your gas off, if it's off they can't sell you more. You will get plenty of notice if they do decide to shut your gas off.

11. trident252

trident252Member

Threads:
    A few days late won't make a difference. It's when you are a few months late that they shut it off. Where I live, they can't cut the gas off in the winter months, so there are people that purposely don't pay in the winter and catch up in the summer.

If I were you, I would just call the gas company and explain the situation to them. The worst thing that they can say is that they don't care. But they won't do that. They want your business and they need customers that are at least trying to pay their bills.

12. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    In my area we use gas tanks so we replace them when it's all done. I have gotten my electric and water cut off and when this happens there's usually a small cost to reconnect it. We get charged installation process because they usually give us the opportunity to be late with three months worth of bills, so we are to blame.

13. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    We use gas cylinders where we need to pay first.
    However, there're gas lines in some areas where you need to pay the bill according to usage. I don't think they will snap off the connection so soon for a delayed payment. However, there'll be a fine for late payments though.

14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am still using cylinder (refill) so I do not have to pay a monthly bill for my gas connection. However I have a feeling that you get a grace period on your due date so you should not worry if you're late by a day or so (unless you have used the grace period". I think you will have to pay a late fee if there is a provision in your connection.

15. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was not married and living with my parents, we had experienced several times the cutting off of electricity due to non-payment of the bill. We were hard up during that time and I was in college. When I got a job, I made it a point to save extra money for the utility bills in case my mother would miss her budget again. Fortunately, the cutting off of electricity did not happen again. Even now, we are diligent when it comes to paying the electric and water bills. When the supply is cut off, the utitlity company requires a reconnection fee which is an added insult to injury.

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy I am lucky in this matter as we never faced this situation because we always had a dual cylinder so we almost always ordered the next one as soon as we finished one. The gas service proves us a cylinder 3rd day so we were never out of gas. During my stay in Australia we use gas supplied by pipeline so we can make payment through a credit card so it's not a problem even if we have not paid in time :)

17. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    No, it never happened to me (and I hope it never happens).

However, I have some friends who have experienced this bad experience for a few days in winters and they have been pretty bad days (just to make it clear... it wasn't for lack of payment :p, it was a problem in the machinery).

18. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I think you will have this problem of gas cut off if your subscription is postpaid, that's you can pay after using the service. Over here we do not get that kind of service where gas is supplied to homes and after which bills are served. Here I go to gas station with my cylinder to be filled or refilled and pay instantly. There is no fear of sudden gas interruption or cut.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @tonyb@tonyb In most parts of our country we do not have pipeline but we depend on 14 KG + cylinders. We have almost 300 million gas consumers in my country with most of them having only single cylinders so it has got to be a problem if you have no arrangements of having your bottle filled immediately. There are several reasons a consumer might face having his refill so it's better to have an extra bottle. I have two one of the same size and another of 2 kg just in case.

20. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    In my country, there is no chance of the gas being cut off because we don't have that type of supply system. For households, we have cylinders and for commercial purposes, there are tanks on the premises away from the building in which the gas is filled from the supply trucks on demand. The gas is either paid for upon or before delivery