Have you ever shaved with a straight razor?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Kek • Aug 15, 2014.

1. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    I've recently thought about the amount of money I spend yearly on disposable razors. It turns out that it's more than one would expect. So I thought about buying myself a straight razor, or at least shaving with a safety razor. Both of those turn out to be much cheaper in the long run, not to mention more manly. :) I'm quite afraid of trying them out though, to be honest. Both are extremely sharp and not really fool proof. You can end up with a really nasty cut if you aren't careful.

Does anyone here have any experience with either straight razor shaving or safety razors? Would you recommend it?

2. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    I have used a straight razor in the past and found it to be good. It gives a close shave (better than an electric razor, in my opinion). Now using the razor is similar to using a disposable one, the only difference really is how you hold it and the position of the razor. I would recommend it, but before you jump in, watch some videos online that shows you how to shave with a straight razor.

3. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I only see those straight razors used by my my dad's barber when he gets a hair cut. Seems much safer if someone else does it for you. I also see my dad using a safety razor then, the one with disposable blades. Maybe you can try that one too, if they are still being sold.

4. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    No. I have never used a straight edge. My mother did shave my legs for the first time w/one though. It was a crazy experience. For all of you wondering, she had a dual background of working in hospitals and in beauty shops. So, she know how to use a razor. I was always too afraid to go 'there' if you know what I mean. So, I stick to store bought blades with protective outer coverings.

5. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    My boyfriend does not shave with a straight razor himself but if we're going to an event he tends to head out to either a barber or the shave shop and get one. It looks great but not much better than what he does himself and he always says that when the barber has the blade close to his neck his palms are sweating because he thinks "one wrong move." I don't think he would ever use a straight razor himself but for special occasions he likes it.

6. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    My husband says, "It does supply closer shave, but you have to know what you're doing. It's a faddy thing right now. It is something done in old times that people are trying to get back too. But I don't have a heavy beard, for those that do, it might be better for them." Being a female, I only use a Bic type razor for my legs so I don't think my opinion would count although I can say I prefer it to an electric one. I figured a direct quote from the man-shaver in the house would be more helpful. I had no idea this was something people were doing. But I do know that in the T.V. show, 'Community' there is a segment in a Barber Shop and it was HILAROUS and made me want to go to one. Here's a brief clip although it doesn't do the entire scene justice:

(notice the opera playing in the background? I think at one point they get served a fine whiskey! lol) I'm sure real Barber shops probably aren't that fancy.

7. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I have thought about trying lately.

The great thing about a straight razor is that you can design really sharp lines in your beard...
    If you're trying to style a goatee, or just trying to look cleaner, straight razors can be awesome.
    The thought of using them on yourself is pretty weird though... I would be careful.

8. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    This is something I never have done and don't plan on it. I just don't trust my steady hand. However, I have my T-liners edged down to the point where my hairlines and shaves come out razor sharp. Despite my non-experience with straight razor, I think it's the best way to get the cleanest & closest result.