Have You Started Your Christmas / Holiday Shopping?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Diane Lane • Aug 5, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to start basically the day after Christmas, because that's when things would go on sale. I did a lot of shopping back then, so starting right away, especially when I had received gift money for Christmas, was helpful, since I could spread the cost throughout the year. I had more storage space back then, and the children in the family were younger, so were easy to buy for.

Nowadays, my family has cut back significantly on Christmas shopping, so I don't have to start immediately, and I often make gifts, so will start them several months before the holidays, but not as soon as I used to.

When do you start your holiday shopping? Do you shop as much as you used to, or have you cut back?

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    OH man I don't even want to think about Christmas shopping. It is a hassle every year. I think I may just give everyone gift cards. I have done that, before and people seem to appreciate them. It is a shame because I used to love Christmas now it is just something that causes stress. I won't do my shopping until I need to. I just won't even think about it early.

3. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    Not yet but very soon! I try to knockout all my shopping in September and October so I don't have to stress or worry during the holiday season! Plus I hate shopping during that time because of the chaos so it's just best to get it done early!

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    My situation is such that most of the people I have to shop for are overseas, so it never hurts for me to get started early, especially with shipping deadlines to contend with. So I have indeed started picking up a few things here and there, especially if they’re on clearance. I wouldn’t say the amount I shop has changed, since there are limits to what I can send in a parcel. It’s more spread out over a period of time now, though.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There was a time I was quite broke around Christmas time and couldn't buy anyone a gift. To avoid a repeat of what happened back then I usually do most of my Christmas shopping early. By September I'll have bough all my Christmas gifts. Should I so desire, I could buy some "extras" a week or so before Christmas because I hate shopping with the crowds.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Now is the right time. I wish I could say I was that organised, but sadly I'll probably leave it until November/December. I don't know why I do it, because every year I tell myself I'll do it differently, but I just never do it. Yet this year I do actually have a few $$$ to spare. I guess it's just laziness :(

7. tasxx

tasxxMember

Threads:
    Ironically, this year I don't have anyone to buy christmas presents for other than my immediate family. I recently moved states and I don't plan on staying in contact with any of my old friends so that saves me money in the long run. I'll probably state my Christmas shopping on Black Friday and then continue from there. This year i'll be able to focus on buying gifts for myself for a change.

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I always buy a few things straight after Christmas, like cards and wrapping paper, because it is always so much cheaper at that time of year than before Christmas, however then I will save most of it until October at the earliest. I do pick up presents over the course of the year if I see that they are cheap anywhere, however most of the time I will do it nearer to the time. I do, however, save all of my store loyalty points to be used around Christmas, and this means that I don't often pay for the presents that I buy, which I think has to be a good thing!

9. Diane Lane

Threads:
    @GemmaRowlands@GemmaRowlands That's a good idea, to save the loyalty points, or also if you earn gift cards, and they don't expire quickly, you could set those aside for gift purchases. I always bought the cards and wrapping paper right after Christmas, too, since the prices were so low. In my family, we tend to personalize the paper to the recipient, so often have large stashes of many different papers/bows. I've seen some homes where the same one paper is used for all of one person's purchases, and I guess that makes it easy to tell who they're from, but I like the variety.

@Lushlala@Lushlala Haha, here's your reminder - go buy some presents! Nowadays, if I did that, I'd probably forget where I stored them, and end up re-buying them closer to Christmas. It's fun to knock some out ahead of time, though, then save a few special ones for closer to the holidays.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am working on points to use to purchase some of my gifts and I get cash back on purchases also that will help with the cost of gifts. I pick up a few things as I see them so that I am not running out looking for things at the last minute.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Diane Lane@Diane Lane
    Hehe I hear you, Diane. I also know just how convenient it is because I did it one Christmas and was so proud of myself LOL I found I could take my time shopping, giving me many options and saving me a pretty penny. It also save me time and energy :)

#11Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2015
  12. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    I start when it nears Christmas and prices get a bit lower. To start now would be wayy to early for me haha as it's still summer. I usually wait till black friday or Thanksgiving or December winter deals to do my christmas shopping because I'm quite the procrastinator :p. And I don't see the reason to start this early in my opinion as it's only summer. I usually start before or during winter because thats when the Christmas excitement finally kicks in :p.

13. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh no, not the C-word!

I'll admit that I'm not a massive fan of Christmas at all, for various reasons. Me and the OH don't have much family left so we don't have to buy a great deal of stuff. It usually gets bought about two weeks in advance.

14. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't really. I mean I started asking family and friends what they want for Christmas/the holidays and just have asked them to start thinking and letting me know what they would like and such. I've been keeping my eye out for deals though, but in all honestly I think it's a little too early. From now until Christmas new things will come out so friends and family will want something else, you know?

15. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    @missbishi@missbishi - I'm with you. I'm not a huge fan of Christmas. It's a pretty low-key holiday for us. While I do buy presents for the holiday, I set a $ amount and ask people what they want in November. Then I buy that.

I like to buy presents as surprises for people throughout the year just because. I like to see the genuine surprise on their faces when I show up with something for them. The expectation of gifts at Christmas sours it for me. It's just not as much fun for me.

16. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I love Christmas movies, and it's as if a switch flips in my head around June. I start humming Christmas tunes and carols, and start wanting to watch my favorite Christmas movies, or really, pretty much any Christmas movies. There are a few I've had sitting in my eBay Watch List, and I noticed recently that the prices have already started to increase. I thought I'd still have a few months to snag them without paying more money, but I guess not.

17. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I love Christmas and Christmas shopping. Most years I do start my shopping right after Christmas is over, but this year I decided to work on making money online so that I have a bunch of money to spend this next Christmas. Some of the sites I work on offer Amazon credits and gift cards for various retailers, so I am working on building my balances for all of these and will redeem them all when the holiday shopping season hits so I can get some good deals. I also use shopping rewards programs, so I will earn some rebates from using my earnings. It is a win-win situation.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't started Christmas shopping yet because I just put my things in storage and ,after staying in a temporary room rental for several months, I'm looking for an apartment again. When you put your things in storage, you realize exactly how much stuff you have, so I'm not buying more things right now. I'll wait until Cyber Monday to do my Christmas shopping.

19. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Still looking for an apartment huh? If I recall correctly, you have been at it for quite a while. I hope you find something very soon!

This year, I am going to focus on purchasing quality gifts as opposed to the quantity of items. In years past, I have purchased a ton of small gifts for my kids, but they are getting older now and I want to focus on getting them things that they will use for years to come. My daughter is entering high school this year, so the gifts will come with bigger price tags. This Christmas is going to take a lot of planning...and hopefully a lot of Amazon gift cards used!

20. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I totally agree about the expectation and sense of entitlement souring the experience. I also enjoy giving out gifts throughout the year. It's such a great feeling to give or receive something unexpected. Like @missbishi@missbishi I've lost most of my family, so holidays have been scaled way back, especially gift giving. I still look forward to the season and festivities, though, and of course have to plan ahead, so I can get my items listed/reactivated, and push them for the buying season.