Have you stopped using your land line phone?

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by jewel777 • Jun 22, 2012.

1. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I stopped using my land line phone some time ago and don't really miss it. I was using calling cards to get more bang for my buck, but found them to be a pain. I'm finding it so much more convenient to just use my cell phone (plus it gets better reception.) The problem I have is keeping my minutes down since I don't have unlimited minutes. I try to limit my calls to and use my evening and weekend minutes if I need to talk more. So far so good as for keeping withing my limits, but we'll have to see.

2. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    It's better to use a cellphone than a land line phone. I've always hated using the land line phone because it's too heavy. My mobile phone is lighter and I can carry it with me, so there's no need for two phones in your home. It's a way to cut down on some of the bills by paying only for the cellphone usage.

3. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    I'd like to do this, but the cell phone coverage where I live is pretty awful. Sometimes text messages arrive in my inbox the next day, and some days I have to try several times in order to be able to make a call. I also miss lots of calls on my cell. I have heard there are ways to boost cell coverage, but I don't know what they are. If someone else knows the answer to that, please chime in!

4. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    When I moved last year, I never got a new landline. I felt like such a chump paying 2 phone bills, especially when I barely used the landline. My cell phone just gives me more bang for the buck. Unlimited minutes, unlimited long distance, just didn't seem to make sense. Now I just use 1-800-free-411 and have free directory assistance and viola! I am saving all kinds of money.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    The only reason I had a land line for the last several years was only for internet connection. When we moved into our new home last fall, we decided to go with cable internet. We no longer have a land line and it is nice to be saving that money now.

6. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Well I don't have a way to boost your coverage, but I have a solution to the texting problem. I have an android phone and I use Ping Me or Hookt for all my texting. The difference is the texting messages are instant, and you don't have to wait all that time for a message. It's so much faster I use it all the time. You should download it and give it a try. This way a person can't say they didn't receive your text.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's a landline in my apartment. My roommate was concerned about the 911 emergency issue. I don't use the landline and I haven't used on in years.

8. MasterProX

MasterProXMember

Threads:
    Unfortunately, the landline in my house still... exists. My dad doesn't feel like getting a cell phone, so all he uses is the landline.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Pretty much. I have had my own cell phone for something like 10 years now and have never had a landline in my own name. I do still give out my mom's landline number for companies that I don't want end up calling me with trash/spam/telemarketing BS. She rarely answers her phone anyway, but it's at least still a legit number.

10. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    We do have a landline but I never use it: like never. Not even for internet. I just use wireless. There is a new telephone company now where we are and they offer fiber optic technology so we are switching over to them. They are cheaper and far more advanced, very good combo. Other than that, all we get is promotional calls on the landline.

11. siriusboi

siriusboiMember

Threads:
    I don't use my landline phone anymore but I still get calls from it though.My cellphone is handy and very helpful to me.We just bought a landline phone for the sake of being able to connect to the internet.Without the phone, I won't be here in this awesome forum.

12. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Our family have also stopped using a landline phone 8 years ago. That;s the time when all of our family embers already have a mobile phone and we find it more convenient to just use mobile phone instead of continue to pay for phone bills that we barely use.

13. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Our landline phone is an essential thing in our house - I personally can't even imagine not having it around! My parents use it for calls for work, and I use it for school calls, as well as personal calls to my friends. The thing is, mobile phone load is expensive where I live, so landlines are actually more conventional if we're talking about the price of things.

14. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I gave up my landline phone years ago. About 4 years ago I had one only for DSL as I was told I had to have the phone with it (good old Verizon), but once I dropped that DSL I dropped the landline. I can't remember when I actually had a landline phone that wasn't just for Internet. Maybe 10+ years ago.

15. MissMin11

MissMin11New Member

Threads:
    We don't use a landline phone and haven't for about 7 years. Until about 1 year ago, we had cell phones as our main means of communication. Now, when we are at home we use Google Voice for our at home calls and use a prepaid phone when we are out and about.

A pre-paid phone costs us about $20-ish dollars every few months (we barely use it) and Google Voice is free. Between the two, we are saving a ton of money.

16. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    We dropped our land line phone about a year ago and it's been REALLY nice saving htat extra $25 each month. We use our cell phones now which we would be paying for anyways.

17. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I'd love to do away with the landline, but where we live, there is absolutely no mobile network coverage, so a landline is a must, both for the phone and the Internet, as we can't get cable here either. It's a remote coastal, mainly holiday area, and while it's a great place to live, there are drawbacks, such as narrow roads and the mobile network access problem. Still, at least I can look out over the ocean as I make my landline calls!

18. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    Where I live, I don't have a landline phone. The landline phone is located in my landlord's house where she fixed the wireless broadband for us to use. Back home in Malaysia, I have a landline phone in my house but again, it's for the Internet. We hardly use it to make calls.

19. cluckis

cluckisBanned

Threads:
    No, we havent stopped using our landline. To tell you the truth, I dont think we could live without it. As teenager, I know it sounds weird for me to say that, but I really only use landline for calls, and mobile for texts, and mobile internet on the go.

20. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I stopped using my land line phone years ago. I don't see the point in it. Having a cell phone is good enough for me, plus I don't want to waste money on two phone bills.