Health Insurance for a self employed person

Discussion in Life & Health Insurance started by atribble73 • Jul 22, 2014.

1. atribble73

atribble73Member

Threads:
    I have been looking for some decent health insurance for myself, because I am self employed therefore there is no company paying it for me; only myself.
    Does anyone know of cheaper rates for health insurance, I do not care to have to take a physical, but if its cheaper priced then I will do it.
    The rates that I have been getting lately are from $300-$400 per month, who can afford that?
    The problem too, if South Carolina residents do not have health insurance, we will be fined at the end of the year!

2. bargainbabe

bargainbabeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm sorry to hear about that. My friend had an issue with this too with self employment (but it was more dental). She went with Spirit dental since it had the indemnity plan. My best advice would be to try to use an app and then pick the lowest rate. There are plenty of apps out there but I think Toad is easier since you don't have to register or anything -

. Also, I would be careful and make sure you're not picking something with a weird network or long wait periods. It would suck if you actually needed it but couldn't find a "network doctor" in your area or had to wait like 18 months for a procedure you need. Good luck. Health insurance can be a beast these days.

3. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I am self employed and have a policy through a private insurance company . I am in India currently and medical care is a fraction of the cost of what it is in the US. So this policy covers up to 3k in medical fees. I recently broke my foot in 5 different places. 4 meta tarsals were cracked. I needed an operation . Total came out to 98k Rupees or approximately $1700 dollars. Insurance covered EVERYTHING. I asked my dad how much it would have cost if this had happened back in NY. He said over 30k. :eek:

and this hospital I went to was one of the best in the state. It wasn't some shabby third world medical treatment. I had my own room , bathroom, everything.

4. atribble73

atribble73Member

Threads:
    I will go through the link bargainbabe, and thank you for sharing this with me. I am supposed to be on blood pressure medicine and medicine for my A.D.D. and can not afford to go to all the doctor visits because of the out of pocket costs they require each time.
    Wulfman, you are correct about the U.S. high rates for their medical coverages. Hopefully I can find something that is also a fraction of the price.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You might want to look into a HMO where you go to one place and all of your care is under one roof. I worked part-time just so I could get health insurance at one time. I was still self employed but I worked the hours needed to get the insurance.