Heating? Nope.

Discussion in Heating started by NopGuy • May 16, 2012.

1. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know about you guys, but I typically don't pay anything to heat up my home during the winter season. Here in LA, it rarely ever drops below 50, so I just bundle up with a sweater or two and stay warm all season long. Anyone else do this simply to save money?

2. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I also do this because there's no need to waste money on running the heat. Besides it can get pretty expensive to run that for 6 months out of the year. You figure when it's winter you have to run the heat, and when it's summer you're running the AC. The only time you get a break is spring and fall. Some people run the heat for every little thing it's ridiculous. I'll be cold and save some money, than be comfortable and pay and arm and a leg for heat.

3. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    No, we do not use internal home heating but we live in warm city, similar in weather to LA. However, when I lived in colder climates, I used the heating. In some northern hemisphere places it is pretty much needed. Yet, one adapts. So, yeah, we just put on an extra sweater (-:

4. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    We have to run the heat in the winter where I live. We are in snow country here and we usually get hit with the artic blasts of cold air several times during the winter months. It can get below zero or be just barely above it for a week or two at a time. If you don't run the heat, your water pipes will freeze and then when they do thaw out, you've got water everywhere!
    We do get lucky in the summer months as we usually don't get that hot until August.

5. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I am a Miami Resident so we NEVER turn on the heat. I am very grateful for this - it saves a lot on the electric bill. I remember on a cold winter my mom tried turning on the heater and our AC vents blew out fire. They were THAT underused

6. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    No whenever it gets cold I just pop the heat on for just a bit.
    I live in Tx, I thought that it gets really really cold in LA in the winter cause of the coast...so thats not true?

7. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    Living in the south, it does not get very cold. However, I do feel the need to put on the heater sometimes because my toddler likes to be in a diaper and nothing else. If it weren't for her, I would probably keep the heat off completely.

8. crossunitedfate

crossunitedfateMember

Threads:
    Lucky for you, some of you live in climates where you don't need to have your heat on. Me on the other hand, I live in New York. And up here, it gets cold. So not having eat isn't an option. It gets cold enough to the point even bundling up isn't enough.

9. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    My uncle introduced me to just investing in thick blankets and wearing sweats and a jacket at home to save on heating expenses and I've more or less done that unless I have visitors then I have to turn the heat up. I also make sure that my windows have proper seals so that the heat does not escape when I do turn on the heater. That small maintenance issue alone can save you quite a bit.

10. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    no we don't use it a lot. It doesn't get too cold here.

11. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    Some people think I'm crazy but I flat out don't use the heat. I like the feeling of being cold and you can always bundle up/use blankets/etc. Of course if it's insanely cold, I'll put it on for a little but I never put it on all day long. I hate the feeling of being all hot and sweaty.

12. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    This is similar to what I do. The temperature is already very cold where I live, but I don't see the need in blasting the heater so I can walk around my apartment in shorts and a teeshirt. I keep my thermostat at a minimum. I only turn the heat up high when I'm getting ready in the morning, so it's nice and warm as I get ready - but when I leave the apartment, the thermostat is back to normal. When I'm home, I like to be comfortable in a pair of warm sweat pants and sweater (or long sleeve thermal shirt). Only when there are guests do I feel the need to raise the temperature and heat the whole apartment. Getting cozy under a nice blanket (or two!) will keep you very warm, too. There are other (free) ways to stay warm, but people just like the convenience of turning on a heater, I suppose.

13. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    It's funny, because no one in northern Europe ever uses AC. Whereas most American homes can't do without it. if it's only mildly cold then I'll just use a hot water bottle. I could cope down to 0c without needing heating. If you're home is well insulated a hot water bottle can often suffice, but it's not pleasant for long periods of time.

14. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely use my heater because it gets way to hot than i end up turning the ac on because it's so hot so i just leave if off if i get a little chilly i throw on a sweater and call it at that.

15. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I'm sure for some its not necessary to use a heater especially living in the South. After all some homes are well insulated and don't have cracks that allow the cold air to seep through. Unfortunately, my home isn't such house. I live in a very old home that has its fair share of crack and leaks. In other words places where cold air can get through. So, even though I live in Phoenix, AZ we are at this moment going through a severe cold spell (will for Phoenix that is) and I am having to use my heater.

16. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate heaters so i hardly use mine here it's been droping to the 20s so it's been getting really cold but still i just keep a sweater and blanket and leave the heater off.

17. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You don't need heating if you live in a warm climate. Here in London it is -6 and it has been snowing for 2-days. I am wearing multiple layers and a hat indoors! I even sleep in my clothes and my dressing gown because it is so cold. Some nights I just have to turn the heating on.

18. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I live in New York as well, and I agree with you completely. Not having heat is not an option. I would rather sacrifice the lights and walk around in the dark (In fact I do this: I try to have no more than one light switch on at any given time, and none at all if the sun is coming through the window) than turn off the heat.

19. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I try not to use the heating system in the house during winter because it really can drive up your utility costs. I just layer sweaters, put on sweat pants and thick socks. If its really cold I'll turn on the heater but only to a low setting.

20. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in a cold area it gets down to 20 degree's during the winter or colder. We have to have the heat on to protect the pipes and keep from getting sick. We do keep it down as much as possible to keep the bill down, when it is cold and wet outside this house is very cold, sweaters do not give much more warmth. During the summer it is very humid here so you need the AC. We do not get much of a break on the utility bills in the this area.