Holiday Season Shopping Scam Reminder

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Diane Lane • Nov 26, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It seems there are new scams that arise every year, and I just came across this, and wanted to share. I know many will be shopping for Black Friday deals today and tomorrow, and then Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday follow right behind, as well as the Christmas shopping season in general, so please take heed of these warnings, and secure your information and shop safely.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually there have been a number of scams on FB and because a lot of people fell for them, they got the media's attention. I'm sure that there are lots of others but as always there's an easy way to tell whether something is a scam or not.

If it sounds too good to be true . . .

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are scams everywhere, but when people are in hurry to snap up a deal, they don't read the small print or check whether a site is secure. That's why I hate deals that last a couple of hours as they pressure you into buying things and you don't have time to check.

I don't like app deals either, because they are more likely to be scams.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In many cases that's true, @Denis Hard@Denis Hard, but not always. Especially on Facebook, I've seen people who need to come up with money in a hurry selling items for a fraction of their value, and if you're in need of the items, it can be a great deal. One thing I heard of recently to also watch out for, although this would be very difficult, unless you're very familiar with what to look for, is that a woman sold her smart phone via I can't remember if it was Craigslist, Facebook, or another site (there are so many selling apps lately it's hard to remember them all), and she later found out that the money she received for the sale was counterfeit.