Homemade gifts to save money

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Dude • Apr 1, 2012.

1. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Here are a couple of recipes:

(I usually use soy lecithin rather than emuslifying wax, simply because it was easier to find and that's what the first recipe I ever read called for. Of course, you can add anything you like, like scented oils, etc.)

2. happyrocinante

happyrocinanteBanned

Threads:
    Here is a link to making Matha Stewarts Bath Fizzies...

I haven't gotten to try it yet but it seems easy. I was going to try and make it for Mother's Day but I don't know if I am going to make it! There are a lot of sites out there to tell you how to make these things.

3. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    I don't like making gifts for occasions. But I can make something that many people like and ask me to do. It's Friendship Bracelets, made out of embroidery thread. I used to make them year years ago, but they were very simple. We didn't have an Internet that time so the only pattern I knew was enough to make me happy I can do this. And some years later I suddenly realised that I've got the Web now and maybe there are more patterns there and I can learn how to make it better and nicer. And so it was. Since then I can make really nice bracelets I love wearing myself and giving my friends.

4. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I'd like to make things as gifts for my friends and family. However, I don't always have the time to make something, so I'll end up shopping for books for everyone. I like making art for people via watercolors because I feel more appreciated rather than getting them a new copy of The Hunger Games.

5. Raymond

RaymondNew Member

Threads:
    If your partner is found of reading then getting a novel of his or her favorite writer, is the best

of the universe. Gift them those books, they are looking forward to read or they are willing to read but not able to found it or are not easily available.

6. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    That's a nice idea to make all your gifts and that way it is personal and thoughtful and can save you a huge chunk of money. That way you can make it very special just for that person. I love homemade things better than bought stuff because that says you are thinking about just me and I love you for that.

7. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    These are some great ideas! I fully intend on making most of my Christmas gifts this year. I would love to make soap, but as a beginner, I think I might start with "gifts in a jar". I must start soon though or else Christmas will catch up on me...

8. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    It's been a while since I've made a handmade gift, but in these times money is tight I might try it. There are tons of ideas that you can do to make a gift special. You can even take something old, and put a paint job on it, and turn it back new again. I like the handmade gifts because they require more time and thought. Anyone can walk in a store or order something online, but it takes a creative person to create a masterpiece.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I make cookies and muffins. But I like to go to the goodwill stores and find treaures that some people would not pay attention to. One of a kind gifts that can be spruced up or just cleaned up.

10. liquidfuzzy

liquidfuzzyMember

Threads:
    I'm a big believer in making infused vodka! You can make candy-infused vodka, and even bacon-infused vodka which is awesome for bloody marys! I also like baking for people and just throwing some cookies into a seasonal bag. Everyone likes booze and cookies, right?!

11. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Well when the holidays come I make sure that I make my own personalized greeting cards that I will give to my friends and family. I'm not that great at creating "real gifts" yet but I'm already practicing and thinking of ideas.

12. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    Ever since I could knit I've been doing homemade gifts. I love doing it, but I'm not sure everyone appreciates homemade gifts. I've started making ornaments with my kids. We do something different each year. I've noticed most people are receptive to homemade gifts when they come from children.

13. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    I plan on making a lot of my gifts this year, not just for economic reasons, but also to give something more personal. I got inspired last year as I was shopping for Christmas gifts on Etsy and vowed I would do this for my loved ones this year. I think homemade gifts are also appreciated more by the receiver as well.

14. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    I have made my own Christmas cards for years but I am not talented enough to make some sort of gift or I would! I received a crocheted scarf a couple of years back from a friend and I still cherish it - you can see the love and hard work that is gone in to it, made me feel very special and certainly more appreciated than a bottle of perfume etc.

15. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I have made cookie canisters with my sister, and she has also made her own version of a trail mix for those we give gifts to outside our home. One year after my mothers death I used my sewing skills to take her wedding dress and created bride dolls for each female member of her family. This turned out to be a gift that every woman treasured, so what you said is true sometimes the personal touch can mean a whole lot more to someone.

16. AlinaBentley

AlinaBentleyNew Member

Threads:
    I am not so technically good but I can now Create Photo Mugs with my artwork and pictures at "Post My Greetings". I ordered a photo mug with my favorite photograph printed on it. They delivered the mug on stipulated time frame and I surprised to see the printing quality. They have done so much good.

After completely satisfied, I am again ordering a greeting card imprinted using my mom's best picture.

17. MaraJadeC

MaraJadeCMember

Threads:
    Oh, I love this! This is a great gift for any occasion especially to people who love to bake like my best friend. :D And it's her birthday next week. Just figured out the best present for her. Thanks BrittneyD!

18. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    One of my college friends who is incidentally very rich loves making home made gifts during the Christmas season. Last year she gave everyone a pretty glass jar and inside it were 365 strips of paper. Written or rather printed in each strip was an inspirational quote for the day. The idea is to pick one out daily either at the start of the day to help kick start it or when you feel down to help motivate and lift your spirit. I though it was ingenious.

19. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I always give people home,are gifts around the holiday time.
    I honestly noticed that people seem to make use of these gifts more and they always ask me where I got the idea.
    I love making homemade cookies and I wrap them up in a can and I add a bow and other wrappings.
    It's the perfect little gift that will fit anyone's taste buds,
    You can't go wring with this in my opinion.

20. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love making gifts for people, it really shows them you put thought into it instead of just running out and throwing money at someone. It shows you care :) There are so many great tutorials out there now thanks to the internet, you can make the most professional looking gifts these days.. I love it and the people I give to can never tell they aren't from a store until I tell them :)