Homemade Holiday Crafts

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Ke Gordon • Oct 18, 2015.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Will you do any Homemade Christmas crafts this year to save money and give as gifts? I saw a Neat thing on facebook the other day with making mugs with nailpolish designs on them. You put the nailpolish and mug is water and use a toothpick to make a design and Voila! They looked like they would make a neat homemade Christmas gift, and the cost would be minimal.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I learned wood carving a few years back and though it's not easy, the more I did it, the better I became. This year, I've carved some dinosaur toys which I intend to give to the kids who'll visit me this Christmas. While yes, it will save me some of the money I'd have spent buying the kids toys, doing all that work kept me quite busy, didn't have to spend too much money on entertainment.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I would love to as I like spending as little as possible for gifts so I can spend some on myself, but unfortunately I'm not very good with crafts as my finished product always comes out messy. The most I do is just digital artwork and I have relied on those in the past but it unfortunately takes up a bit too much time to come up with something complex enough to serve as a good enough gift, not to mention it's probably more appropriate to have it framed which ultimately defeats the purpose.

4. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I love homemade crafts and I love receiving them too! They are the most thoughtful gifts and you end up remembering them more than any store bought goods.

5. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I usually make and give edible gifts myself including fudge, cookies, cupcakes, mince pies and apple pies. I've also done some photography and painting for Christmas gifts for people before. I think that when they're home made they're generally better received.

6. Ke Gordon

Threads:
    I am not very talented with crafts and artsy type things myself, so it is kind of a challenge to do good homemade crafts. This nail polish design cup looks basically foolproof, and something even I can do, so I think I will be doing some of these for Christmas, and even for myself. Plus with all the colors available in polish you can make them as different as you like.

7. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I sew and was hoping to make at least one quilt ti give as a gift this year, but have not had any time to work on one this year. Next year I would like to make a few presents so I can customize them and so my kids will have something to remember me by.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This reminds me of the time when the loomband was in fashion. My niece had made a lot of loombands and packed it in boxes with colorful designs. It was a big hit because all her loombands were sold a few weeks before Christmas. Truly, it was a good gift idea. But for me, I have no aptitude in arts so maybe all I can do is become a customer of such homemade arts that I can buy as gifts for my circle.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What are the nail polish cups that you're talking about? Do you have a link? They sound interesting.

I'm not sure what I'll be making, but if I plan to make homemade Christmas gifts this year, I had better get started soon. I think I'm going to try making a nightgown from a T-shirt, if I can find the image again. It was really cute, and I picked up some T-shirts at the Dollar Tree to try to make a couple for my grand babies.

10. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As hand painting unique motifs and patterns on plant pots, glass jars, plain mugs, jugs, cups, plates or in fact any kind of crockery is hobby of mine and I often use the remains of my nail polish and stencils for doing this - you might also like to try some of these very simple ideas

Handicrafts - Mug-art-ideas.

Handicarfts - Glitter-candle holder.

Handicrafts - Flower Glass Candle holders.

Handicrafts - Gold spot candle holders.

Handicrafts - Recycled-glass-jar-painted.

especially as - not only is virtually any design you wish - easily painted on with the aid of a few stencils and a couple of bottles of nail polish - but you can re- vamp almost anything into a really original personalized gift - that not only looks good - but stands up to frequent washes in the dishwasher too.

11. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love this idea. I'm on a very tight budget this year, but it would be nice to be able to buy a few plain mugs or glasses and make a nice design on them for a few friends. If anyone has or comes across the nail polish swirling video that @Ke Gordon@Ke Gordon was talking about, I'd love to see it. Now I'm sorry I threw out a bunch of nail polishes recently, I had some colors that would have been great for these types of projects.

I have some handmade decorations a friend and I made that I put on the tree each year, and it brings back happy memories. My family and I tend to focus on the baking at the holidays, and share what we bake, but it would be nice to make up a pretty container to share the baked goods in, as well.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I go nuts on the Christmas crafts as it is.. I don't really save all that much money because of it lol. I'm sort of a Pinterestoholic, so I make almost everything I see on there. SO many great ideas and if you aren't obsessed like I am, you'll definitely save money with making your gifts.

13. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    What a great craft idea! I can see making candle holders, vases or mugs and giving them as gifts to my kids teachers. Inexpensive but what a thoughtful creative gift. I think the Dollar store near my house has clear glass mugs and vases you could decorate. You could decorate a mug and then fill it with the fixings for hot chocolate or make dipped chocolate spoons. My kids love making crafts and the personal touch means a lot. I think I'll have them make cards and we can sew up a cotton gift bag to send in the gifts. Thanks for the great idea. Since it's only November we have lots of time to make them.

14. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, @gata montes@gata montes, I love that idea. I have tons of old nail polish around here (four daughters worth), so I will definitely be making some things. I can see picking up little glass decorations at the thrift store or the dollar store and making really cool stuff. I think I'll make some decor items for my girls for their rooms. Nice.

It also looks like a great way to personalize some mugs. Very cool.

15. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    Last year I made a set of personalized snowmen mugs for my sister-in-law's family for Christmas. Personalized, hand-decorated mugs are a very inexpensive gift to give. I bought ceramic white mugs from Dollar Tree for $1 each, then decorated them with Sharpie markers to look like snowmen, and put a family member's names on each one. After they were decorated, I baked them in the oven so that the Sharpie marker will stay on the mugs. I put hot chocolate mixes in each one, and voila! Easy, inexpensive handmade Christmas gift.

16. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I think homemade gifts are great. We got a cousin who took up woodworking and got a simple little dish rag holder with a magnet that we still use which he made for us. It's just great and so useful these homemade gifts are and it's just what we need around the house too. Things that are homemade is best most always except that I love gift cards too.

17. Ke Gordon

Threads:
    I saw the link for the nail polish mugs on facebook, but I would try youtube I bet it has been posted on there. There was really very little to making them. The one the woman made in the video was very simple, and really nothing to it. Believe me, you wouldn't have to have craft talent to make it.

18. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    I would have never thought to use nail polish on ceramic or glass. What a great idea. I probably have 200 bottles of nail polish and not buying food safe ceramic paints would be a great savings. I am not sure I could do this for gifts for my family though as they are all beyond overstocked on glasses and mugs. Perhaps I could use it to paint trinket or jewelry boxes.

19. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Not sure - but think I might have managed to find a couple of videos that do appear to be very much - like what you have described Ke Gordon - especially as the process does look to be extremely easy.

Either way - even if they're not the exact same one - as it certainly looks to be a process well worth trying and fun too - hopefully these will be of help