How are you dealing with minor scratches on your car?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by prettycolors • Apr 28, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I keep seeing commercials for those scratch removal products. You clean the scratch, apply a layer of gel/wax and the damage is gone!

But do they actually work? I never bought such products so I'm wondering if they're a good investment. Painting the car is bloody expensive so investing in a scratch removal product seems like a cheaper option. If it actually works.

2. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Waxing the car reduces the look of a scratch but will not remove it. Used car dealers often will have the cars on the lot well waxed to make them look not only shinier but to reduce the look of small imperfections. The problem is that the wax job will only survive the first couple of washings and then the scratch will be visible again. If you just bought a used car, it is too late to return it by the time you notice the scratches.

Wax is a good way to keep the car looking well if the scratches are minor but you need to reapply it from time to time. If the scratch is deeper and the metal is exposed, you really want to paint it so that it doesn't begin to rust.

3. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've seen some products that actually remove scratches. Some of the scratch removers say that the product melds into the paint thus eliminating the scratches. These products cost a lot though so I have never bought them. I've seen some videos though that show that they actually do work, even with very deep scratches!

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I usually ignore them, but some people get quite upset about them. In that case, as someone noted on here, there are plenty of scratch removal products for a car. Anyway, even if your not the type who rubs a new truck with a cloth, :rolleyes: you might still want to prevent scratches - cause every bad thing lowers the resale value.