How Do You Choose Gifts For Lil' Ones?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by hellavu • Jan 26, 2015.

1. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Especially when they're not your kids.
    For me, it's hellish. I have to give gifts to my goddaughter and her lil' brother, and to the kids of my friends. I never have any kind of clue what the young ones like. I feel like this is the reason why people fall back on what are considered sexist cliché -- any pink princess thing for a girl, any blue racing car thing for a boy. I would not hesitate to give girly things to my own son, but I would never dare do it to the son of someone else...

This whole matter is even more frustrating when you know the kids did not enjoy much your gift and then they go and spend a few hours with the box of the expensive toy you got them. Urgh!

What do you keep in mind when you shop for someone else's kid?

2. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to ask the child's parents and see what the child is in too. Ask what all kids are into at that age. Most parents I know now ask for vouchers for big chain toy stores, like ToysRUs or even Argos. A lot of my daughters friends love getting vouchers then they can choose there own gifts.

3. jcort

jcortMember

Threads:
    I generally buy gifts a little more advanced than the child. So, if it's a 3 year old, I don't mind buying a gift that says "ages 4+". In my mind, that means that they'll get to play with it longer. Plus, I'd rather have a toy be too advanced than too simple.

I also prefer to buy toys without batteries. That's getting harder and harder to do, but I feel that it keeps the parents from having to keep investing in batteries to keep the toy functional.

I love toys that are well made and high quality. Wooden toys are great for this, and I feel like they are more durable than plastic. We have so much plastic in every area of modern life, so when I can find something that isn't, that's a minor victory.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually just ask the kids themselves so I get a more accurate answer, and if the gift requested were even a little bit questionable I'd ask their parents first. Sometimes I'd go to the parents first just to be extra sure that I'm not overstepping my boundaries, but for the most part I think just general toys are okay.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never stress myself out thinking about what gift I'll buy a kid. Since I buy my small relatives gifts always and have them visit me at least once a year, I normally let them ask me for something to buy them the next year. It's always "next" year since they come over at Christmas time. Sometimes I may choose to buy them books.

6. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Books are always a good choice, Denis. Coloring books, short stories, character books, those soft books made of fabric for babies, quiet books, noisy books.. there are all different kinds.

I usually don't run into this problem, helluva. Most kids that I buy a gift for, I know well enough to know what to get for them. My biggest problem was trying to buy birthday gifts for my kids' friends from school, since I didn't know them. If you have kids, maybe they can help you pick something out. If not, you could always pick something basic like blocks, Legos, books, etc.