How Do You Determine If Something Is A Good Deal?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Blossom • Nov 20, 2015.

1. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I'm looking to purchase a new car soon. I came across an ad for a 2013, Nissan Sentra SV with 3200 miles for $14,000. According to the ad, the car had not been driven much because the owner has some health challenges. I think it's a great deal because of the low mileage, but my father seems to think I can find one less expensive. Should I jump on this or keep shopping around?

2. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Ask if you can test drive the car. Sometimes the price sounds good but the vehicle doesn't fit the driver due to the way it fits the driver. Example, leg room, head clearance to the roof of the vehicle or maybe there is a blind spot you just don't like. Get a Carfax.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I couldn't agree more with @MrsJones@MrsJones. It might be o.k. if you're young and limber, without any health concerns, to just decide on a car from looks or price, but I have lumbar and cervical disk issues, and it took me forever to finally settle on the car I have now. I test 'sat' and 'drove' at least 25 vehicles before deciding on this one, and with some, all it took was sitting in the driver's seat to know that the vehicle wasn't going to work for me.

@Blossom@Blossom I'm not sure where you're located, but one thing I do when comparing prices is cross-reference not only with the Kelley Blue Book, but also with CarMax, since they have set prices on the vehicles. There's no point in comparing prices to those at a traditional dealer or car lot, because most of those can vary quite a bit from what you start off with, versus what you'll end up paying, unless they have no haggle pricing.