How do you make a small Christmas Tree look and feel bigger?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Zyni • Dec 11, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My tree is very small. I usually stand it on something to give it some height. I also try to make it seem fuller by adding garlands and such. I use small ornaments, so the big ones don't look like they're too big for the tree, making it seem even smaller. So, do you have any tips to share to make the most of a small tree? I'd love to get some ideas.

2. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Last year I switched from a tall tree to a smaller tree. It sits on top of a small table and I use holiday themed fabric to drape around the tree base to the floor. So once the presents are under the tree it gives the effect that it's taller. I also use a combination of regular and small ornaments placing them from inside to outside on the branches which adds fullest after the lights are already on the tree of course.

3. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    honestly I feel like the best way to make your tree feel larger is to A) use smaller less bulky ornaments that are spaced well. Large ornaments look cluttery and less of the tree can be seen. Also, when putting lights on set them back into your tree a bit to make it appear thicker.

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the tips, MrsJones and Nikki. I hope to be able to find and purchase a larger tree during the after Christmas sales, but I want to use this one, one more time. I'd rather spend money on gifts than on a tree right now, so I'll hit the post-holiday sales. I have done pretty much as you all suggested. I just feel like it's a bit small for the room. Maybe I need to give it a bit more height, and make sure to stack all the presents small to large to "build" some height and heft to the arrangement.

5. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Hey Zyni! For your ornaments, instead of the traditional coloured balls, try using something that is oval shaped or anything that has length e.g. gingerbread mans, candy canes etc. This can help in giving it height as well but just make sure they are not overly large. If you have a star up on your tree, try getting a shiny one that is not too thick so it doesn't appear to weigh down on the tree. The brilliance of a shiny star as compared to a matte one will give more height to the tree as well. Hopefully this helps!