How Do You Prevent Your Nails From Breaking?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by gee wanjiru • Dec 23, 2017.

1. gee wanjiru

gee wanjiruNew Member

Threads:
    For the longest time, I have been known to have long hard nails. I think part of what makes my nails long and strong is probably due to my parents genes. There are some precautions though that I take to prevent my nails from breaking. One thing that I have discovered over the years that make my nails break is buffing. Every time I get my nails buffed they get weak and break. So I no longer get my nails buffed. I prefer to have a little discolored nails (which I will hide with polish than weak breaking nails.

Another way I prevent my nails from breaking is to make sure that I clean the top thoroughly with a nail brush after removing nail polish so that they are clear of any acetone.

2. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    My nails are strong too but every time I wash clothes, utensils or handle anything to do with water generally, my nails always break. Water makes them soft, colorless and weak. I haven't found a solution to this but someone recommended that I do house chores while wearing gloves.

3. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    My nails aren't too thick and hard and they break whenever they're exposed to water for a long time. To prevent breaking, I simply use hand gloves when doing household chores that involved prolonged exposure to water. Let me share, though, that when I was younger, older relatives advised me to rub my nails with garlic for a few minutes every day. The juice is supposed to strengthen or harden the nails. I'm not sure if this old folks remedy is actually effective because I didn't really do the routine religiously. I was surprised to find out that this isn't just a local remedy but something that has been used in other countries as well.

4. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    My nails have become very brittle recently. I think it might have been because I had a viral infection which lasted some weeks because I noticed they broke very easily. I usually keep them quite short so that I can type but while they were fragile I bought some nail strengthening varnish which seems to be helping.

5. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I had never come across this issue until recently, and it happened with my younger kid, who was around 6 at the time. His nails were really fragile and kept on breaking, so the pediatrician recommended nail polish, and it worked. After a few weeks we didn't even needed the polish, as the nails seemed to be stronger already.

6. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    Gelatin based products if consumed will give health to your nails and even hair. Desserts such as jelly, marshmallows, souffles contain gelatin. Jelly is easy to make. One could have this regularly/

7. JOHN MATTHEW

JOHN MATTHEWNew Member

Threads:
    I would like to use lemon with lukewarm warm water if have such type of issue.

8. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmyMember

Threads:
    Eversince I had brittle nails and this is my problem that is why i make it sure that i always cut it short. i already read many articles regarding what to do about this thing. I thought maybe I lack some vitamins that is why I started taking multivitamins a long time ago and somehow my nails does not easliy break unlike before.

9. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    I am not having such information about preventing nail breaking. Girls really remain so conscious about their looks even about their nails.