How do you save money on movies & entertainment?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by MoniqueSeibel • Dec 22, 2012.

1. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    This question is more geared towards people who, like myself, watch a lot of movies and tv series for entertainment. What are your frugal strategies for saving money on movies? Do you buy dvds, go to the theater or rent?

The only things I can think of would be collecting scene points or redeeming air miles, completing surveys for gift cards or air miles, winning passes & dvds, trading in used dvds, Netflix (even if just for the free trial) and using the library. Any other suggestions?

2. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    Being on a very tight budget these days I save by getting dvds from the library. No charge. And at least where I am the selection and number of new releases is very good. Not everything of course but I would say pretty fair. And they even have some tv series dvds. Not Sons of Anarchy or Weeds which I would like to see. Oh well. I am also not sure if the dvd thing is common to libraries everywhere btw.
    Ryder13

3. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    Oh that's a good idea. I forgot libraries carry DVDs nowadays. I don't frequent the movie theater much at all however when I do, I like to go early or the first show of the day and save 50% off the evening price. Other than that I like to DVR shows or use Netflix to save money.

4. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    We have Netflix. Also redbox is cheap and there are often codes for free movies!
    The library rocks.

5. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    Happy to hear so many people are using the library! The collection they have has significantly improved over the years. Just ensure you are returning the dvds on time to avoid any late fees. But I'm a fan of Netflix as well.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy dvd's, especially when they are on sale. And I just watch HBO on cable tv. I think if you just tune in to HBO frequently or watch cable tv in general, then you can save a lot of money, since you are already content with the movies that they show, so no need to go to the cinema, unless you are anticipating to see a new movie.

7. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I buy all my DVDs from Amazon, Ebay and Play and I deliberately buy from the sellers because they are almost always cheaper. My thing is buying old classic sitcoms and I can buy an entire series for as little as $2.

8. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I tend to look out for DVD sales online and instore, and then I'll buy box sets, or movies that have been out for a while. I also swap around DVDs with friends, so we all get to see something different. And I'll drop hints coming up to Christmas and my birthday. That's pretty successful, as I often get what I want as a present. Luckily, I don't mind waiting to see a movie, so I'm never tempted to go to the cinema or buy a movie as soon as it's released on DVD.

9. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I never buy movies, I don't care for television series and I only go to the movie theater three times a year (last year twice). Most of the films my wife and I enjoy are the oldies (between the silent era and the 1960s). A lot of them are in the public domain or available online. We also rent at a place that offers them at a reasonable price and has a huge selection of the films we love.

10. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    Libraries are a great place to go for DVDs, especially if you're not the type to re-watch things over and over again. I never understood people who acquired a large DVD or movie collection, but never actually watched any of them more than once or twice. Another thing to consider are subscriptions like Hulu, Amazon Prime (which offers streaming, among other perks), and Netflix. It may not have everything that you're looking for, but it's better than having nothing or paying for cable/premium channels when you may not have room in your budget to do so.

11. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    Movie sales are good, especially if a movie place is going out of business. Our local BlockBuster is going out, so I recently headed over there to pick up some titles. Major savings!

On a regular basis, I have Netflix and the internet is a nice place to find a lot of things Netflix is lacking. Places like Walmart sell older movies for $5 and I can almost always find something I like in those bins if I'm in the mood to get a new dvd.

12. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    There is this online site that has eliminated the money I spend on buying DVD and TV Series. Just visit the

and type in the name of the Movie or Series you want and watch/download freely. Welcome!

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also get movies from the library, in my area there maybe a long list for new releases but I do not mind waiting. I waited a month to see one movie.

Most of the time if I see a movie at the theater someone else is paying. Right now I want to "The Hobbit" but don't know if I want to pay that much to see it. A senior citizen ticket is still expensive to me, it maybe because I remember going to the movies for .99 when I was a kid.

14. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think getting the gift cards is the best i buy most of my dvds on amazon and ebay mainly amazon because i have a site that i vote on polls and get points worth amazon gift cards and get my dvds that way it doesn't take any time to rack up the points so that's how i save on my dvds.

15. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Well I usually digital download a lot of stuff. For example, if an indie horror film is released...I'll download it from amazon.com instead of paying for the DVD on a blind buy for like $19. Also, I don't go to the movies that often these days. Mostly because I go to see a lot of horror films and the action movies and comedies these days look like crap! Summer is when I usually seek out NON HORROR at the movies. But a lot of it are just noisy big budget films with bad actors and rehashed plots.

16. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I save money by downloading the films at home. I go to the cinema occasionally but I don't like paying the equivalent of 15 dollars to watch a film I probably wont even like. I'd rather download it and watch it for free in the comfort of my own home.

17. emmy2points

emmy2pointsActive Member

Threads:
    I would frequent the library if the ones in our area carried a much better selection of DVDs, but they're not quite there yet. Nowadays, I wait for movies to come out on DVD rather than watch them in the theater so I rent from Redbox or Blockbuster. I've used quite a number of Redbox codes already for free rentals, and earn them through Bing rewards or signing up with the Redbox mobile text club. I also get free Blockbuster DVD rentals by earning points through My Coke Rewards.

18. Gamrpro

GamrproMember

Threads:
    I go to the theaters about once a month. I think I prefer to rent and if I like a movie a lot then I'd buy it. If you don't have Netflix I'd recommend getting it if you want to save but I don't really like their selection of movies.

19. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    There are moments in life when I try to save money and be frugal. I always tend to watch films on the computer and stream them for free in order to save money.

20. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I watch movies on TV and this saves a lot of money. I also visit the theatres, however, I don't watch all kinds of movies. I go to the theater only to watch movies that is from a big banner and features popular actors or is from a well known director. Another way to save moneyn on movie is by burrowing DVDs from friends.