How do you save money when it comes to Commuting to work?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Kaybee517 • Aug 11, 2012.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I had a 3 hour commute (1.5 hours there and 1.5 hours back) several years ago, back in 2007 when the price of gas shot up to over $4.50 a gallon. It really sucked particularly hard because I was also driving a large SUV at the time which was already a gas guzzler. On top of it all, the longer the commute you are taking to and from work each day, the more likely you are to get stuck in backed up traffic for even longer, not to mention the more prone you are to getting speeding tickets, as well as damage to your car. I also got several tickets for speeding and had to replace my windshield twice because of all the rocks hitting it from passing trucks.

I ended up moving just a few miles from my employer to cut my daily commute down to just 5 minutes or so. The cost of living was much more in that area but it was still cheaper than what I was paying extra in gas and wear and tear on my vehicle to commute the longer distance.

2. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I commute and ride in a car pool most days of the week. The cost is slightly higher than riding a bus but it drops me nearer to my workplace and I feel more comfortable with it. We pay a fixed amount monthly for the service to the office and it's certainly way cheaper and less stressful than using my own car. I also get to ride with the same people every day and it feels safer than riding with strangers. Travel time to my office is about two hours. I've been looking for a job nearer my house but I've not been lucky to find one that can match what I'm currently earning.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Don't give up your car until you can't afford it or can't drive any more. I sold my car over a decade ago and gave up my license 2 years ago. Then guess what we had a lot of emergencies since then. Family helps us, Catholic Charity has transportation, but they fill up fast and you're lucky if you can get a ride with them too.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bus over ten years now and like it until I needed emergency help, then, I wish I had a car. I only bus now. During rainy times I always wish I had a car. Riding the bus I always watch how much bus fares until my bus pass amount is reached. About the middle of the month I always reach the bus pass amount. We pay $60 a month for our bus pass that gives us unlimited bus rides for the month. Some people park at the bus facility and bus the rest of the way. Riding the bus is always cost effective for transportation.

5. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I rise 2 hours earlier to take the bus instead of taking a taxi and take the employee shuttle to get to my final destination. They don't sell any cheaper bus passes here so I don't have any other choices to save more. I wanted a car but calculated I would spend more on that than on public transportation.

6. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik AngaraActive Member

Threads:
    I use public transport almost daily. Here in India, we have a monthly pass for using public transport which is very cheap. The overhead metro works are in progress and I am waiting to use the metro for faster and cheaper commuting. The buses are cheaper as well but they take a lot of time because of the traffic. At times, when it becomes late, I use the share cab services which are very handy and reasonable.

In the evening, when returning from work, I use the railway services. The station is close to my workplace so I go there by walk and board the metro train. It saves a lot of time and is cheaper as well. I avoid using individual cabs which are very expensive and also the major contributors to traffic problems.

7. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Fortunately my house is not too far away from my office, but not too close also. I go to office in my bike which is convenient for me. I can use public transport too but it is not viable as I won't be able to reach office on time. As we use bio-metric punch card system in office for attendance it is very important to be on time.

Nowadays I am not so addicted to driving as before. I have traveled a lot. Moreover, fuel prices are sky rocketing in our country. For far away places I usually depend on public transport which is economic and safe.

8. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For commuting to work, it is always the mass transport that I use which is cheaper. However, there are times that it is very inconvenient to line in the long queue for the train and the bus so I resort to hail a taxicab. However, it is very difficult to find a vacant taxicab during rush hours so I have no choice but to line up. That is why I always use my car in going to work because I have difficulty in taking the mass transport. My age is a disadvantage in the long queue especially when I have a lot of things to carry.

9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite way of saving money on commuting to use two wheeler which costs almost 30% as much as my car. Use of two wheeler not only saves me money but saves me time as well because driving a car in our kind of traffic condition is too difficult especially during peak hours. I drive my car mostly during night time or going for long drives and my two wheeler while commuting for work or local shopping.

10. efrain silva

efrain silvaMember

Threads:
    You may just get a bus pass, for that matter. It's smart. It's efficient. It's rider friendly. It really beats wear and tear on your own personal vehicle, leaving you to use it only in smaller and closer distances & destinations. Bus passes are not that expensive either. You could also carpool with fellow employees near your home location....

11. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We do not have efficient bus service in my area but we can travel by shared three wheeler which costs very little but the traveling conditions in these kind of transport system are so poor and crowded that these are considered for poor ones. I am not exactly a rich guy but I would prefer to stay away from this kind of traveling but prefer my two wheeler for commuting to my work.