How early have you gotten in line on Black Friday?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Dude • Mar 30, 2012.

1. Dude

DudeMember

Threads:
    I've gone as early as 1 AM and waited for 3 hours. :p What's the longest you have all waited, and what is the earliest you've gone to get in line on Black Friday? :) Do you think it was worth it?

Looking forward to hearing your stories!

~ Dude

2. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    Last year was the longest I have ever gotten in line. I waited in line at Old Navy for an hour and a half last year. They had a special going that offered the first 100 people in line a free underwater digital camera with every $40 purchase. I was lucky enough to get one of these and my husband was able to as well. We gave one of the underwater digital cameras to our daughter for Christmas and still have the other camera in storage for use someday. We also got a lot of great deals on clothes for everyone. The hour and a half surprisingly went by pretty quick. There was a lot of nice people to talk to in line. So, I think it was worth it.

I have seen people camping out 12 hours before some stores open, like Best Buy. I think this is just crazy. I cannot see sleeping on the sidewalk for this long.

Black Friday is awesome, but Cyber Monday is a lot more laid back.

3. Dude

DudeMember

Threads:
    Wow, that's great! I have never gone to a clothing store on Black Friday...maybe next year! ;)

I was outside of BestBuy when I was waiting...there were already tons of people outside, and I missed the deal. I don't know if it's worth it to freeze outside for several hours just to save a bit! If the deals are huge I may do that though...haha!

4. Pandorical

PandoricalActive Member

Threads:
    I wish we had this in the UK. As far as I know we've got nothing anything like it. I've heard stories of getting things ridiculously cheap in America though.

5. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    Oh wow, like I said in the other thread, I have never participated, as it seems to be a US only thing. It seems to be slowly coming into Canada, but is no where near as intense as the US. I have watched the videos online, and have been terrified! It looks insane! I too would love to see what crazy stories you American's have to share over Black Friday.

6. DrakenV

DrakenVMember

Threads:
    I remember having to wait about 3 hours outside a Best Buy when I was younger! Nowadays, I don't participate in all of that silly line waiting.
    Cyber Monday is the way to go!!!

7. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Is Black Friday called Boxing Day in Canada or am I wrong? Sorry, I'm not from either the US or Canada. I've heard the prices go WAY too cheap and people just go nuts when the stores open to the public. So many injured people too - so you must really want something to go through all that :p

We don't get that here. Prices are high all year long, lol.

8. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    What's Black Friday? It's not something we have in the UK - least not that I'm aware of, anyway.

9. calvinandhobbes

calvinandhobbesNew Member

Threads:
    Black Friday is the Friday after thanksgiving. All the stores have great deals on everything that day, so millions of Christmas shoppers go shopping that day. It is supposed to be very chaotic, so I never go.

10. Randomhero

RandomheroMember

Threads:
    I think the longest i've waited for 4 hours lol :) good times

11. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I went shopping on Black Friday once and spent more money then I would have if I went shopping the next week. That and I bought useless stuff because it was on sale. It kicks off the season, but often times you won't find as many deals as you think you do. I have seen many fliers from stores that had things listed cheaper the week before Christmas then they did on Black Friday. It is all good for those who like it, but I personally do not participate.

To me, it is not worth getting out of bed to fight with others who are going to rush the store as the doors open. People have died on Black Friday because of the crowds.

12. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    Ever since I discovered online ordering, my black Friday woes have been a thing of the past for years. But the last time I waited in line on a black Friday was horrible. The line was so long I said screw it lol. I'm talking about from the registers, to the back of the store, to back past the registers, to outside the store. Yeah, THAT bad.

13. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    I don't do Black Friday. I'm not one for getting up that early or staying up all night to stand in line to wait for the deals. I prefer Cyber Monday. I can find some pretty good deals on Cyber Monday. I know a lot of friends and family that go for the Black Friday deals and they love them. I know that there are some wonderful deals out there on Black Friday.

14. dexterlablab1

Threads:
    Yeah, but Cyber Monday deals usually aren't as good as the Black Friday ones.

15. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    The earliest for me was a few years ago when I woke up around 3am to get in line at Best Buy. It was only a two hour wait but it still felt like forever. It did not help that the weather was so cold and I ended up coming back empty handed. So, I have to say that it definitely was not worth it. I've pretty much given up on going out on Black Friday since it's so crazy and chaotic (one time, some lady at Wal-Mart threatened me and almost tried to beat me up because she thought I was cutting in front of her when I only wanted to leave the store).

16. dexterlablab1

Threads:
    I remember back in the days before the internet how we used to see people camping out in front of the malls overnight. Just to catch those deals.

17. Some1else0

Some1else0Member

Threads:
    The earliest was 7 AM. I'm not one to wake up early/camp out all night for a good deal on a few things... haha.

People get so serious about Black Friday. My friend grabbed the last item in stock of a certain good, and this lady came up to him and started yelling at him to hand the item over. Then the manager came and she was asked to leave the store... Crazy times

18. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I've never done the whole Black Friday before either. I'll participate in Cyber Monday, but I just don't have any interest in standing in line for that many hours and then fighting through the crowds. I've never stood in line for a concert or anything either, though.

19. Zacko

ZackoExpert

Threads:
    In Canada, you have the Boxing Day sales. I used to go out with my cousins at midnight and wait in line for a new TV or electronic until 4AM or so!

20. TheMightyMathias

TheMightyMathiasNew Member

Threads:
    I think the longest that I waited was about half an hour. I just came to Target about half an hour after it opened, but they were letting people go in in small groups so that the store wouldn't get too overcrowded. It was worth it though. I got and iPod touch 8GB with a $40 gift card. :D