How Early Is Too Early To Put Up Christmas Lights?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by cocolgooh • Oct 26, 2015.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I saw today that one of my neighbors already has Christmas lights up and switched on... It's October! This seems far too early to me. And aside from that, a waste of electricity to have them on for 2 months, I would think.

How early do you think is too early?

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would say that December 1st is the earliest date they should go up. October does seem far too early. There's absolutely no need, especially as we haven't even had Halloween yet! I dread to think what their electricity bills are like!

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In a world full of hate and bitterness, I'm quite happy to catch little glimpses of cheer.. because they seem to be few and far between. It seems people complain about how horrible society is today but when people show any sign of positivity, even that's complained about lol. Everyone needs to make up their minds. I don't think it's ever too early to celebrate something when the world is so flipping angry all the time. I love to see it :)

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That sounds too early, I mean people are still putting up Halloween decorations in some cases. I would say mid-November is normal, but it's up to the people concerned. Some people like to make the most of it all and I guess it is only 8 weeks to Christmas.

5. Linda Shaw

Linda ShawNew Member

Threads:
    What ever happened to celebrating each of the holidays? Halloween, Thanksgiving the Christmas. Everything is so commercialized it's ridiculous. Tell them to put out their pumpkins and light them or hang orange lights.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I have a Christmas tree a small on that's made of yarn and covered with Christmas lights that I display in the front of my home by the window. I usually put it up in the second week of December, so I can save on electricity cost. I have mostly decorations that don't use lights so I can save money on electrical costs.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's never too early for anything. There was a neighbor of mine who never took down his Christmas decorations for months. He'd leave them on till February or thereabouts. While yes it will cost you some cash if you put up the Christmas lights too early, if it makes you happy why not do it?

Nonetheless I think the best time to put up Christmas lights is a few days before Christmas. That's what I always do.

8. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    There are lots of people in this neighbourhood, and my old neighbourhood, who are pretty much the same. They take the overt decorations down, at least, but the lights stay up almost all year 'round. Usually don't turn them on 'til October or November, at least. I suppose that's a good idea, but it also means leaving this stuff exposed to the elements for a looooong time... better at least check the lights to make sure they aren't going to fizzle and burn on you.

9. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    It's a bit early I would say. Wait until after Halloween and then put up your Christmas lights. Where we live the snow falls by mid November, heck we have already had frost for the past 3 nights. So we try to get the lights up before the first snow fall, just makes it easier on your hands when you are trying to clip the lights on the house without gloves. We usually do this around Remembrance Day.

10. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A lot of people here decorate right after Thanksgiving. I'm with @JosieP@JosieP on this one. I love Christmas, and am always happy to see the decorations. Holiday aside, the lights cheer me up. Back home, I lived in an area with a lot of college students, and they would leave Christmas lights up and on year round. I think it was their way of distinguishing their addresses to potential party goers, but I always smiled when I saw the lights. One thing I've noticed is that since the economy took a downturn in 2008, less people are decorating at all, and many who do are decorating less elaborately. I love to drive around the look at the lights, so I find that particularly sad :(.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think after Halloween is a good measure of when it is right to put up the lights and decorations. I'm guessing people who do it before Halloween probably just don't like Halloween enough to care about the difference in decoration and they probably don't mind skipping the holiday altogether so they do. Unless you have lots of money to pay for extra electric bills that don't really contribute much to practicality I think the best way to go about it is to put up the lights as late as possible.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Two more days! The minute everyone brings their kids in for the night on Halloween, I'm going Christmas crazy on the house in honour of this thread and my love of the holidays and choosing happy! lol.
    Less complainy, more lovey :)

13. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I noticed last year the day after Halloween some houses in the neighborhood had put up their Christmas lights. I think that some of them are older people who may not want to have to put them out after there is snow and ice to deal with, which is somewhat understandable. However, I think people should at least wait until after Thanksgiving to put up lights for Christmas. Thanksgiving kind of gets forgotten by the retailers, Halloween items are quickly replaced by Christmas items. In fact, I have already started seeing Christmas displays in the stores near me. Not to mention the Black Friday sales starting earlier on Thanksgiving day. We will decorate sometime after Thanksgiving.