How fast do you eat?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Gelsemium • Jun 26, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many people have stomach problems and try to understand why that happens, but sometimes the answer is a simple one, we eat too fast. If we are accustomed to it, it's surely a difficult habit to change, but I think we will see benefits because chewing better is helping the stomach and also give us a better perception of when we are full. How fast do you eat?

2. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I can eat pretty slow at times,sometimes my food gets cold because of how slow i eat. I have always been a low eater since I was a kid. And I always get uncontrollable hiccups when I do eat too fast. So I try to slow it down.

3. limitless1585

limitless1585Member

Threads:
    I don't eat too fast. Eating slowly is a good method to lose weight. I forgot the scientific part, but I know a couple of friends who lost quite a lot of weight by eating slowly.

4. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it really has anything to do with eating too fast, or too slow, unless you can maybe show us some medical papers which supports this?

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a subject I have been very well educated in. I used to have a lot of problems with my digestion due to stress and hasty and distracted eating. I went to see an acupuncturist who told me that I need to eat consciously and chew every bite at least 40 times. At first I thought I would take me ages to finish my meal if I had to chew that much. But after a bit of practice, that included putting on relaxing music and candles, and also being grateful for the food, things started changing for the better. It's a matter of retraining your habits.

6. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    ;) When I am home. I take my time. It may take over a half hour.
    When I'm at work, it may take me all of ten minutes. I sometimes only have 20 to 50 minutes to eat. I never travel outside the building to buy lunch anymore.

7. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I usually watch movie or drama when I'm having my meal if I was at home so I always eat slowly. There are times though when I really need to be fast so I just eat little and accompany it with water.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I eat quite slowly, like it takes me 20 to 30 mins. to finish eating. I know that eating slowly is better than eating fast, because by the time the brain has processed that it is full, you have eaten less food than the person who eats fast, so it avoids potential weight gain.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, that is true, one of the advantages of eating slow is that the brain can tell the stomach that we are full and in that way we don't eat too much. Other advantage is that we make digestion easy by chewing everything better, this results in a less effort of the stomach, better absorption of the food and... less gases. :)

10. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    It depends a bit for me, if I'm doing something while eating like reading something or watching TV for example, I eat pretty slowly and I do feel better afterwards, but if all I'm doing is eating and that's all I'm focusing one, then I eat much faster, even if I'm not in a hurry because I just get bored easily.
    I notice I feel much more bloated than usual when I eat quickly though, there are definitely benefits to taking your time when eating...

11. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    It depends what I am doing. I can eat really fast though. But I met a Korean acupuncturist once that said you should chew as many times as you are old so that you get the proper enzymes to digest. Ever since then, I have been trying to eat slower because I have stomach problems sometimes. I'm older now so I can't chew as many times as I am old, but the concept makes sense to me.

12. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on how hungry I am. Eating fast is something you should really refrain from doing, not least because it means you'll suffer from a bout of hiccups which are a very annoying thing to have to go through, especially when you are trying to talk to someone and every other word is interrupted by a hiccup and the person you're speaking to starts laughing at you! ;)

13. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    This question is in health and beauty lol? Well anyway, I do have this issue sometimes and I have to remember to slow down because I can have the habit of really shoveling it in and later wonder why my stomach is giving me problems. I have to make a conscious effort to really chew my food well and not be in such a hurry because if I don't I end of paying for it later.

14. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Generally, I'm a fast eater and it's more-so because I tend to see eating as a necessity rather than a luxury of sorts. I am guilty of also having a sense of urgency to do something else after eating.
    That said, I've really been trying to slow down and enjoy it more. Or as my wife says, "taste" the food. Usually when we go out to a fancy place or eat dinner with the family, I have to be a bit more proper and take my time mostly with respect to manners.

15. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I eat way too fast sometimes. This is a horrible habit in my family. It is also a reason why my great grandmother passed away at 54. She ate too fast and then went outside when the weather was past 80 degrees to walk somewhere. She passed out and died. I have stomach aches from this habit and I am making a conscious effort to change it. I have gotten better but it is a hard habit to break. I know I don't want to pass away from something that is preventable and I can control.

16. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I eat incredibly fast and it's something I always work on but never conquer. When I was in elementary school they gave us a very short period of time to eat lunch and clean up after ourselves, if we weren't finished within 8 or 9 minutes we couldn't go to the playground. I always wanted to go play with my friends so I would inhale my lunch and clean up all within 5 minutes. Now I eat at my desk, during a conference call or while running errands so I haven't improved much.

17. Gelsemium

Threads:
    So that's a really nasty habit forex, eating at your desk during a conference call doesn't improve our health at all. We should take time to eat our meals, be aware of what we are eating and chew slowly or else we will suffer the consequences, that can be light ones, like gases, or worse like stomach issues or other complications. Eating is very important and we should give it proper attention.

18. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    You are right, when we eat too fast it can cause problems. When we only have a short time to eat at work it s hard to gear down at home, but neccessary. Also wieght gain is associated with eating too fast, we eat more before our body tells us we are full, in a shorter time.

19. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    For me, it depends on what I am doing. Now that I've become a mother, I tend to eat a little slower because in between my own bites, I'm caring for my son and making sure that he eats. I read a study a couple months ago that says that you will naturally try to eat at the pace of the person you're eating with. I found that very interesting.

20. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's interesting indeed dustymom, but I don't know if that article is entirely true. I mean, if you are with someone and you're not 100% comfortable that might happen, but if we are in family we just eat and that's it. My kids for example, one I need to tell him to eat slower because he's super fast and the other can be 15-20 minutes to eat some soup, it's totally stressing!