How Important Is It To You To Buy Local?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by animos • Jun 6, 2016.

1. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer small, these big stores like the ones you mention can only sell so cheap because they buy such large quantities. The vendors that sell them contracts don't want to turn away business.

I worked for this one warehouse and their biggest contract was a super store which they had no choice but to offer the lowest prices for them because they made up half of the companies profits.

Businesses don't turn away those types of clients, so they will sell super cheap, which mean the giant stores can also sell cheap and still take home healthy profits.

Unethical, and unfair monopolies, so I prefer the small stores who will offer quality at a premium price but not too premium.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The small stores here have a cheaper price tag on their goods than with franchise stores like 7-11. However, the franchise store have a better policy regarding the returns and replacements of defective items. We had a sad experience with a small store that the owner engaged us into an argument for a simple bread that was expired. You can guess that we now patronize franchise stores no matter if prices are higher.

3. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I would have to make an assessment of the factors such as distance, availability, and price to see where I would be able to get the best value for my money. It could be possible that the item is nearby but after covering the cost of going elsewhere to acquire the same thing, I am still able to obtain it at a lower cost than what is being offered nearby. The opposite could also be true where even though the item may be cheaper elsewhere, the travel cost for obtaining it may make it more prudent to get it nearby. So after these assessments, I make my decision on where to purchase the goods or services.

4. Gena

GenaMember

Threads:
    Buying locally is very important to me. I think supporting local businesses is the way to go. Not to mention it is very rewarding.

5. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I always try to buy local, it saves money, it will promote the local business, you are doing favor to the community. As a responsible member of the community you should care about your community. If you buy local, you will be sending money for the betterment of your community. Usually,I don't go to supermarket to buy things, I go to small stores and always try to find local products. I go to farmers' market instead of supermarket to buy vegetables.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To me, it doesn't matter if I buy locally or not. It just comes down to a matter of convenience, in that buying locally tends to save time. But if I want something that is out of the way, I will get it. I don't mind where my money goes though, as long as the company I am giving my money to is reputable. And it is not as if where I am has a certain type of food or reputation to uphold.

7. Robilas

RobilasMember

Threads:
    It really depends on the product. If I know that I can get (almost) the same product at a similar price, I prefer buying from local stores, and I am even willing to pay a little extra to support a smaller store selling quality products.

Here you have a point. The main reason I shop at bigger stores like Walmart is that they have everything I need in the same place. Instead of going to four or five different shops I can buy all the products withouth spending money on gas or time walking between places. But I agree that we should support local stores.

8. bmiller1357

bmiller1357New Member

Threads:
    I live in a very small rural community. We have a local grocery with high prices and a Dollar General. I work in town so I tend to buy most things right here locally. I buy quite a bit from Dollar General. I will only buy what last minute things I need from our local grocery. I will make the half hour trip to go to WalMart to buy a large supply once a month or so. My husband is manager of a meat department in another town so he usually brings things that we need home. I feel like if I buy most of what we consume here locally, I'm not spending money on gas to drive to the next town. I think it balances out.

9. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJMember

Threads:
    I strive to buy local when it comes to food since I want to support the local farms in my area. Furthermore, I am concerned enough about the imported/genetically modified food to pay the extra money to be sure that I am giving my family healthy and natural food. As for other merchandise, I am not as concerned about buying from local merchants since cost becomes more a factor in weighing where and what products to buy although I will strive to buy goods manufactured in my home country even if it costs a bit more.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I agree that this is an excellent point. I don't have a car, so I have to make the most of it when I can get a lift to one of those bigger franchises that provide a wider selection of all the things I need, rather than buying locally just to support my town or area.

11. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I always prefer to buy local. It helps small business stay afloat. However unfortunately the prices in these stores are much higher then in national chains. In that case I will unfortunately go to large name retailers. However when it comes to eating out I almost always chose local restaurants compared to chains.

12. whysewserious

whysewseriousMember

Threads:
    I do try my absolute best to shop locally when it is for myself, my boyfriend or my pet. If the quality is there, I can justify spending the little extra if it helps keep a business owner afloat.

I would love to be able to spend more money for work locally, but I just cannot in many ways. I am a wardrobe stylist and much of that involves buying too many garments and returning what was not used. I do not want to negatively effect these store owners' sales, and I feel like the chain retail stores can afford to take the hit because the sale balances out the returns evenly.

If local businesses did a lend system where I checked the clothing out and then purchased them after they were used, I would definitely do that! It is how I have shopped when I was in Los Angeles but it has yet to be adopted in my home city.

13. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    Truthfully were I live I feel like big box stores are more expensive then other stores, I get my dog food from a local feed store because grain-free is expensive and this is the cheapest place I can find it. Plus local butcher shops/grocery tend to be the same price or have good sales.

14. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    As I do most of my weekly shopping in a supermarket, I tend to feel guilty for not visiting the local markets for my fresh product. There is a van seller very close to me from whom I buy my eggs, but his vegetables were not so good. I bought some delicious blackberries off of him which were very good value and the biggest and juiciest that I have ever seen. Although I say I don't visit the local markets, I don't actually think that there is one near enough to me. It is something that I would have to ask around or maybe do a little internet research to find out. It is a shame that we are gradually losing our small shopkeepers to larger stores, but larger stores are so very convenient.

15. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I always try to buy local if I have the option, but even though I know it is important, for some thing I just have to go with the cheaper alternative. When it comes to food I think I am the best at buying local, and that is easier because it always tastes fresher. It is important to support the local economy, and I do believe that, but reality does set in sometimes. Interesting stuff, and thanks for sharing.

16. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    Price is the most important factor for me. The local stores are often pretty expensive. I actually buy almost everything online. So I don't frequent the local stores very much. My local stores tend to be a couple of restaurants, the mechanic, the plumber, and the electrician.

17. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We do a mixture of shopping locally and buying from big stores or online. I am getting more and more items online since we have Amazon Prime, and have free shipping, and good discounts on almost everything.
    However, the main thing where I like buying local would be produce. There is just no comparison to having fresh fruit and veggies that were grown right in the area and brought to the farmers market, or even a local store. We have a small Seventh Day Adventist store here that gets most of their produce from local farmers, and the differencein taste and quality is flat out amazing ! The ones shipped up green from South America just can't begin to compare with fresh local produce.
    We also shop at the local hardware store, and small cafes that are not chain restaurants, when we go out for lunch; so we try to use local businesses as much as we can.

18. cardinals27

cardinals27New Member

Threads:
    When buying things such as fruits, vegetables, or any other kind of food I try to buy local. For one I think that when you buy local you will get much more fresh products than you will at a major chain grocery store. Also you know exactly where the food is coming from. On top of that it is always nice to support the small local businesses. Besides food items I don't really buy anything else local because it is just too easy to go to the store and get it. As far as food goes I like to buy it from a local farmers market not just because it is grown local, but because I know it is going to be much more fresh.

19. Ellen

EllenNew Member

Threads:
    I make every effort to buy local , if there is any way possible.

20. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do like to buy local if I can, but a the end of the day it's about quality and price. Supporting local or domestic goods even is important, but they should also be competitively priced.

With tight budgets it is harder to buy local all of the time, but it should be encouraged otherwise all the shopping outlets will be in retail parks. I know in Cape Cod many people support local mom and pop shops, and many can afford to do that and it keeps people in jobs and preserves the local community spirit.