How Is Your Bargaining Skill?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Ray1 • Jun 24, 2017.

1. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    When my wife and I had to buy a car a few months before, a used car as we did not have enough money here in this country. I wanted to fully negotiate for big purchase like a used car which I know I am not good at. In fact, I was actually excited about the chance to improve my negotiating skills but my wife took over and did most of the talking :)

We were able to finalize the deal at AU$8000 a Ford Fiesta 2013 thanks mainly to my wife that saved us $750. Do you think you are good at bargaining or lack this wonderful skill.

2. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeodMember

Threads:
    Wow that is nice :D Unfortunately my bargaining skills are equal to zero. I don't have patience for stuff like that and nerves, but for example my mother always bargains and she always manages to get a discount on almost everything. I really don't know how she's doing it but, good fer her.

3. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I don’t think I am good at bargaining but I always try to reach to a economical price wherever I can. I know some people who got good negotiating skills and I think they know how to psychologically influence the seller to arrive at a good price. They know what tactics to be used with different types of sellers. This is mostly possible when dealing with local vendors. Usually they ask for 50% more than the actual price and we can actually get it half of the price quoted by them. For branded items this is not possible as the price is almost fixed.

4. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    One of my choices (which I usually use and which for the most part gives me a lot of success) is to say that I saw the same product in a previous store for the lowest price. This obviously doesn't work all at times, but it's always worth trying, right? :D

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not also good when it comes to bargaining much more with major purchases like a car. But I am fortunate to have a wife who has the knack for haggling on whatever we would buy. I remember when we bought our first car which was an old car, she hastily asked for a 20% when the owner stated the asking price. When the owner stood pat on the given price, my wife said that we still have 2 more prospects to see. And when we were about to leave, the owner offered us coffee and snacks. I knew that it was a ploy to convince us but my wife was adamant in leaving. Before we reached the gate, the owner first offered a 10% discount but eventually gave in to the 20% discount that my wife was asking.