How Many Miles Before Buying Another Vehicles?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by MrsJones • Sep 10, 2016.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    We're about to hit the 140k mile mark on our Jeep. I've read somewhere that some vehicles given good maintenance can reached over 200k or more. Buying another vehicle is not in the near future at least for me but my husband may have other plans. I plan on 'driving it into vehicle heaven' if there is such a place. I'm curious though how others determine, by mileage, when to start looking into purchasing another vehicle.

2. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    We drive ours until it starts having lots of problems. In other words, we wear our cars out. The last used car I sold, I got $250 for it and they took it away on the back of a big truck. That car was over 20 years old. We buy used to begin with and then we are gentle on our cars. So they last a long time.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think if a vehicle has been cared for with the maintenance done when it should a care will last a very long time. Also driving the out the hard stops and starts will also help to maintain the vehicle for awhile. The amount of miles on the vehicle do not really show the condition of the care. A car can have a few miles on it and have been driven hard and never had any service done. My daughter has an older vehicle that was not in the best condition or the worst. She let this guy drive her car who brakes hard, starts the car off fast, just abuses the car. Now it is having a few problems.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since it's not likely I'll sell a used car for that much money I'd rather drive it until it dies.

I'll think of getting a replacement when I have clocked more than 250,000 miles but that doesn't mean I'll sell the old vehicle. I'll still keep it around, use it until it dies then sell it for scrap.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I definitely don’t drive too much, and I never get a very high mileage before trading my car. Even with a car I bought at 2007 and sold last year, it still wasn’t super high. It was around 90.000 km, which would be equivalent to 56.000 miles. It’s a lot, but definitely not as much as some cars around.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Same with ours, we had our Honda Civic model 1993 until 2013 before we sold it and bought our present cars. That's around 20 years of good service because we were diligent with the regular maintenance. And when it was hit by a series of problems that needed top overhaul, that was the time we gave up with that car and made plans of purchasing a new one. We bought if for 330k and had sold it for 85k. For a 20-year old car, that's still a good price (for the seller).

7. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have a 2000 ford stationwagon and it has almost 200,000 miles on it, and still runs okay for an older car with very high mileage. When I was thinking about getting a smaller car that would get better mileage, I look at the cars advertised online, and many of them were over 200,000 miles, and the price was over $1,000 for most and over $2,000 for some of them, if they were still in good shape.
    A well-made American car like your Jeep, @MrsJones@MrsJones , is probably good for at least 200,000 miles, especially since you have driven it and cared for it all of these miles that it has on it.
    I would suggest looking on Craigslist in your area and do a search for Jeeps that are the same age as yours and just see what is being offered and for what prices.
    As long as your Jeep is running good, and you are doing maintenance, there should be no reason to sell it unless you just want a different vehicle.

8. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    My 97 Ford Ranger runs great at the moment. It has some minor problems, but nothing to be incerdibly concerned about. Therefore, I'm not over concerned about it's milage. Hopefully, it will last another 10 years, but I might get another vehicle before then. Actually, to be honest, I'd rather have a really good gaming computer.

9. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I do not put into consideration the number of miles left in my car before I buying another car. I use my old cars so long as the car is in a good shape and form. I am careful with the way I drive my cars and always do routine check on the systems. I do not bother about mileage left before I decide go for another car.

10. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Many people are experts at keeping old cars running. I wonder how they do it. In the west, a lot of people are obsessed with having the most new and high quality gadgets. However, often such obsessions can seem silly as a lot of stuff doesn't need more enhancement.

Nonetheless, it is fun for a lot of people to pursue new things. I guess there is nothing wrong with that. Plus, such consumer behavior stimulates the economy which is good in a free market society.

11. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    In my country, people even drive vehicles in advanced states of disrepair though there are restricted to rural feeder roads and small towns to avoid running into trouble with the authorities. Its possible to keep an old car in a perpetual prime state through replacing those parts which become worn out.

12. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    I consider most vehicles to be good for 200K miles if maintained fairly well. Because of that, I have been very happy buying cars around 60-80K miles, and drive them to 200K or so. They were usually still running when I sold them. I have bought cars as high as 150K when I thought they were in good shape.

I have done this with:
    • 3 Mazda 626 models. One totalled in an accident at 150K miles (my only new car, ever), one had computer problems at 190K and parted out, one still going strong.
    • GMC Safari van. Purchased at 65K. Sold at 215K.
    • Chevy S10 pickup. Sold at about 185K.
    • Volvo V70. Still going at 196K.