How many people here still have a cathode ray tube TV?

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by Soliloquy • May 17, 2013.

1. Soliloquy

SoliloquyMember

Threads:
    You can hardly find them in stores any more, but I'm sticking with my old CRT as long as possible. A few years ago the picture started to lose certain colors and get all wavy, and my family started eyeing those shiny new flatscreen TVs. Instead of buying a new one I called the local small appliance repair place, and they fixed it good as new for only $80. I doubt it would be that cheap, if it's even possible, to fix a flatscreen.

2. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    That is really not bad to fix a tv, we have only flat screen tvs in our house now, got nice size one for only 276. and it works pretty good. They aren't as expensive as they used to be, I am thinking of getting a 19 inch flat screen too, they are about 149 at most places. At first I wasn't really trying to get a flat screen, especially when the flat screens first starting coming out the other older tvs were really cheap even for the big ones. But, I went ahead and got one and I really like them better, their not as heavy,and take up lest space and give out really good pictures and sound.

3. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    I have to say I think the CRT t.v.s are pretty much old technology now.
    I bought one which I am still using about six years ago and it still works.
    I basically use it as a monitor for my dvd player.
    I got it for a good price back then since they were already on the way out.
    It has served me pretty well. No reason to upgrade for me at this point. I have to admit that I probably would not spent to get it fixed if it needed work. I would probably upgrade.
    Ryder13

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My parents still have three of them at their house. They just recently finally got digital cable boxes installed at the house, but they are still watching all their shows on the old CRT televisions. Ironically two of those TVs are old ones I had given them when I switched over to flat screens.

I suppose it works for them, since they have no interest in upgrading to DVR boxes - they barely know how to change the channel on the digital cable boxes they got now. Also, they don't want their bill going up to get HD channels.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still have an old CRT TV not because I one of those guys who doesn't like to move on with technology but honestly, there's no point. I hardly watch TV so why not avoid the extra expense of getting me a new TV if I can play my DVDs and watch them on the CRT TV?

However, since I have to watch the world cup in June, I think I just have to get myself a new TV anyway.

6. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    I remember reading that there are still several thousand people in the UK that hold a "black and white" TV license. Apparently it's slightly cheaper than a normal TV license in the UK and presumably uses CRT.

I still have one CRT but it's sitting in a spare room doing nothing. The big ones weigh a ton though so it's a bother chucking them out - another one we had in the living room was given away to charity where they came and picked it up a long time ago.

7. Fauxpat

FauxpatMember

Threads:
    Most older video games don't play nice with modern TVs, so it's a necessity to have an older one on hand if you have any retro consoles. And, really, if it's not taking up space there's no point in parting with a CRT if it's in tip top shape. I still have on in our bedroom and it has a gorgeous picture for an off-brand TV bought over five years ago. And with a converter box, you can adjust the aspect ratios on each channel to get as wide of a picture as possible.

8. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree. It's too much trouble trying to figure out how to hook up these old systems on the new TVs most of the time. I was able to sell my bigger one at the yard sale last weekend but I kept my other one which is small enough to fit on my table. If I wanted to play my Super Nintendo it would be an easy hookup.

9. cedrickismw

cedrickismwMember

Threads:
    I have a CRT TV with the built in VHS my mom gave me to use. It has S-Video out as well and for the size the picture decent so I guess there's still use for these. You can get a small LCD for a decent price nowadays though so I would imagine its either a budget issue or personal taste.

10. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    We have a CRT TV in my mom's room, and it still works great. We've offered to replace with an LCD television, but she says that her old TV works great, and she doesn't need a new one. She gets a few local channels. We've also hooked up a DVD player for when she wants to watch a movie. She's happy so no need to change.