How much do you spend on Halloween?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by MrsWilson2012 • Oct 7, 2014.

1. MrsWilson2012

MrsWilson2012Member

Threads:
    Between buying candy to pass out, costumes, yard decorations, etc, Halloween can be expensive.

We have a party for the kids at home, with candy, popcorn, and Halloween movies, because trick-or-treating can be very unsafe. This is equally as expensive. We also make our own decorations, as store bought decor can be outrageously expensive.

How much do you typically spend on Halloween? How do you keep costs down?

2. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    I can spend up to fifty dollars on Halloween if I had the money for it. I love to decorate the house really spooky. This year I might spend 20 dollars on me and my children we haven't had a lot of extra money this year so I'm making there costumes from things we have around here, or that I can get really cheap. I'm going to be a patch work doll the baby a patchwork teddy bear, but the oldest still wants to be elsa so I might have to spend money on that one.

3. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    In our country, people don't usually spend much effort to celebrate Halloween. Though sometimes my kid's school come up with some "Halloween" activities like costume contests. And for costumes, I usually sew them myself. I always go for the witches' costume because it's the easiest to make (including the props). We only need to buy a wig to complete the look. :)

4. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I do go out to Halloween parties, but I try and keep my costume to a lot of what I already have and keep prices down. In every year that I've been in school, I've never spent more than $50 on any individual Halloween. I really don't understand how some people can or even want to drop $100 on a costume, but I suppose if that's what they want to spend their money on, that's their choice.

Our house doesn't get any trick or treaters, so we don't need to spend any money on candy.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't really spend on the decorations. We decorate minimally and we just use the decorations that we've used in the past years. We only add very little, only those that couldn't be held off. We also buy only to replace those that could no longer be used, and they are just very few. Where we spend most are on candies. But they are not so expensive, and there are not a lot of kids to give it to, so we spend not that excessive on them. And in general, we don't spend that much.

6. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    Not much as a child I wasn't allowed to go trick or treating. My mum said "you want to go begging?" and that was pretty much the end of that. I have no interest in the pagan celebration. I spend all my money on my hubby instead as its his birthday. I saw the coolest life size Freddy in asda last year which had motion sensor. Creepy, I want him.

7. plantain

plantainMember

Threads:
    Well, I doubt I will be going to any Halloween parties this year. I have always loved the costume making aspect of Halloween; I never buy premade costumes because I believe in being creative and making something great from scratch. But this year I don't want to bother planning and spending money on a costume because I probably won't be leaving the house anyway. I am honestly pretty scared of drunk drivers so I've been hesitant to go driving at night on holidays like this.
    For some reason there seem to be fewer and fewer trick or treaters each year. I'll probably just slap a few pumpkins outside, buy some candy and make a nice home cooked meal for my family... featuring pumpkin of course :D

8. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I try to reuse my costumes or trying to make my own. I usually do not buy candy if I know I am working during that time.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have made most of our costumes, so I save a lot that way. We get few trick-or-treaters, so I don't need to buy much candy. I buy a few things, but I usually just end up making good bags for kids in the family with it. Very little gets passed out from home. I have a set of decorations that I like, so I usually just pull those out, though I add something from time to time. So, Halloween is not a occasion that I spend a lot of money on.

10. jackslivi

jacksliviMember

Threads:
    This year, we really had to watch our spending for Halloween. For costumes, we thought about things that we already had. First, we were going to be a knight theme. My fiancé was going to be a knight, I a princess, and my son a dragon. It was going to be awesome. I already had all of my costume. My fiancé already had his. We just had to get a breast plate. We just needed to find my son a costume. Everywhere we looked, we just could not find a dragon costume in his size. So we were walking down the toy aisle and I saw a mask and a cape for dress up. My son already has a superman shirt. I thought it would work out perfect! My fiancé has to work on Halloween so we just had to get a few things for me. It only cost us $10.
    For decorations, we made them ourselves. We took cereal boxes and made them into tombstones. We also made other ones that were pumpkins. It was a lot of fun to make the decorations. And the cereal boxes we got right out of the cabinet. All we bought was construction paper and glue. $5.
    My favorite tip of all, wait till after Halloween to get the good stuff and save it. We bought a bunch of stuff for last year during Halloween time. We should of waited when it went on sale.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't spend ANY CASH on Halloween. Didn't even go trick or treating when I was a kid [for religious reasons?] You'd wrongly call me stingy but fact is where I live most of the inhabitants are elderly folks who aren't that much interested in Halloween. So there'll be no kids knocking on your door which in a way is great.

12. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I continually wear the same costume every year to save money on Halloween. Maybe next year I'll decide to dress up as someone different other than Jason Voorhees in an old graduation suit and a fedora hat. I'll also be accompanying my younger sister and cousin in their trick or treating adventures, so won't be spending on candy. Good to know Halloween is on a Friday. Hopefully it's nice out for all the kiddies.

13. plantain

plantainMember

Threads:
    I just remembered that since we are in a new house this year, that is in a small gated community, we expect to have even fewer trick or treaters. I don't think the community gates will be open so other kids from around the neighborhood can come in. So it's just whatever few kids live in this complex, I guess. We will have to remember to buy only a small amount of candy else I will be eating it all for weeks... and I don't want to gain any more weight haha! It's easy to overestimate how much candy you need since as I said earlier, there seem to be less and less trick or treaters each year in general. I wonder why that is -- if parents are more scared or kids are less interested?

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'll probably spend a couple of dollars on a pumpkin and some candles. Other than that, I don't spend much money on Halloween, as I don't have any kids. In the country that I am currently residing in, Halloween isn't a big deal, and to be honest, I would probably not even notice it, if it wasn't for the odd Halloween shop decoration here and there.

15. kwriter93

kwriter93Member

Threads:
    I don't spend anything on Halloween, as I do not celebrate it. When I have kids one day, I may take them to trunk or treat at my church (to be safer) and make their own costumes. I just don't really see a reason to celebrate the day, personally. That may change when my future children want to go out for candy. I also don't buy candy because I live in a very packed apartment community and no one comes this way to trick or treat. On Halloween, you wouldn't catch me going to my door out here. There are a lot of strange characters in these parts anyways, you never know who you might be opening your door to at night.

16. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I would probably spend less than a hundred. I don't believe in buying costumes for Halloween as an adult, it's a waste of money for something that you'll hardly ever use. It's much cheaper if you make the costume yourself if you absolutely must have one.

Most of my expenses go towards buying sweets or ingredients to make Halloween treats (homemade ones are much cheaper, and healthier), and a couple of pumpkins to make pumpkin soup and carve a jack-o-lantern. I tend to reuse Halloween decorations instead of buying new ones as well.

17. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not very into halloween so I don't dress up or decorate or anything. I do get some candy to hand out to kids. We don't get many trick or treaters but we get a few. I'd say I spend about $15-20 total every year. On the off chance that I do dress up for work or a party I'll search for pieces at thrift stores.

18. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    This will be my first trick or treat with my nephews. We didn't celebrate it before because it's not really a big deal here in my country. Believe it or not, celebrating it is not "promoted" here in my country because it's a pagan thing.

19. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Nothing. I detest this day so much! Why would I want to reward children with sweets and money when they send the rest of the years causing havoc on the estate by robbing people, attacking people and causing criminal damage? And even when you give them sweets or money they will play tricks on you like putting bricks through your windows!

Horrible, horrible day!

20. randomdude

randomdudeMember

Threads:
    I do not spend anything for halloween. I don't consider halloween as being a holiday. I don't celebrate halloween and neither do my family. If a holiday is recognized by businesses and employers to the point where they pay holiday pay then I would concider celebrating it. But as far as know, I don't remember receiving holiday pay or time in a half for working on halloween. I celebrated it as a kid as far as dressing up in ridiculous clothing but that is it. Halloween should not have people spending ridiculous amounts of money because it is a waste of money.