How Much Would You Spend On Art?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by komaeda • Mar 30, 2017.

1. komaeda

komaedaNew Member

Threads:
    Many artists offer to draw people something of their desire, and that person pays the artist for their work. They're called commissions, and some make a lot from it. My question is, how much would you be willing to pay for artwork made specifically for you? Or would you never spend your money on such a thing? For myself, I'm only a teenager so I don't really make much money at all, so I probably wouldn't commission for artwork unless it were cheap and I really liked the artists work. The thing with that is, when artists make their prices low they may get more customers, but wont make as much and work too hard. The circumstances depend on the person, but what are your thoughts on it?

2. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I think this kind of question is very subjective because in fact, what is the true price that should be attributed to an art? By the way, what is considered art so that we can put a price on it?

I think it's a totally abstract world for financial issues and I do not really understand the criteria that are adopted for each piece. The correct - despite being utopian - would be: art has no value (financial).

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I don’t remember buying a painting or a sculpture. But we have some work of arts in the home that were all gifts from friends and relatives. I don’t find artwork a good investment because for me, it doesn’t look tangible enough. Maybe I don’t have the eye for arts but my priority are practical things like necessities. Perhaps if I would get so rich that money will not be that important anymore then that’s the only time that I would buy paintings and sculptures.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Art is a good investment if you have the money. Having someone draw your portrait, I'd pay $25. I like having a portrait to be framed and kept of the special time and place with a portrait, like a pencil drawing. I would like the portrait be at least 11x7 too. I like having a special portrait in my home, even if it's just a pencil one. When I had the time I loved visiting museums and see all the exhibits and paintings.

5. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    It would vary a lot, if its a very fine piece of work made with scarce expensive materials the price is sure going to be high. How much the persons who such works are targeted at value the make and how significant it is to the individual or culture of a people would also affect the worth of the artistic work in the market. If I get a fine portrait of myself neatly done with expensive materials I wouldn't mind paying so much to have it.

6. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well, the short answer is zero. I think that I have spent some in my younger years, but it was small stuff like a random picture here or there and never anything expensive. I can't see this changing at all ever either.

7. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    My answer solely depends on how much spare money I have in my pocket. Right now though, since I don't have money to spend on art, aside from finding it expensive, I would say I would spend zero dollars on artwork. I would consider purchasing artwork only if I already own my own house and I'm already living comfortably.

8. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I would spend an incredible money on software to create 3D computer art - if I actually had the income. Anyhow, considering my income, I do spend a lot on stuff related to the stuff. Anyhow, in regards to art outside of 3D computer art, I spend literally no money, but if I had more income, then I think it would be a good investment - mainly because trashy looking homes don't have to look that way. Why not liven them up with some paintings etc?

9. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I love paintings on the wall - they make my house look cozy! However, what I have on my wall are actually beautiful but inexpensive artwork that were probably sourced from China. I don't think I'll spend money to have an artwork done exclusively for me at this point in my life. I mean, there are a lot of things that I'd like to do first before investing or spending money on commissioned artwork. I would really prefer to invest my money on something more solid like gold jewelries and other items that don't deteriorate with time.

10. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    Even though i have never bought a painting or a sculpture or any art regardless of it form, i feel that the price varies greatly depending on the artists, the theme and the for of art whether it's a painting or a sculpture. Either way i hope to buy something that i find interesting once i get my own home.

11. Trixen

TrixenMember

Threads:
    I buy art online at a cheaper price. I'm really not into expensive ones unless I like the artist and could relate to his/her creation. I know someone who creates colorful paintings and I was salivating to buy them. She paints on bags, gowns, furniture and walls. Maybe, that could change my mind about the price if I have the money. But some art are way expensive and people are still buying them. It's amazing.

12. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would spend money buying the art, as I can't afford it and I just do not think I need them. I do appreciate the creativity and effort the designers put in, and I know there are also many people buying the art work. I guess those are pretty and make people feel good too. I have seen digital art work can be a few hundreds dollars, which I don't think I would spend money on it.

13. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I would pay maybe 30 dollars but depends on how difficult the art I'm requesting them to do is. If you want nice canvas pictures, I suggest just buying them from large stores instead of purchasing from single artists. Some of them are nice and cost a lot less while I've seen single artists sometimes charge 300 dollars for a random painting. If you have the money to spend, buying from single artists is nice but to save money, just spend a few bucks on a mass-produced painting. You might find one similar to the one you had in mind.

#13Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  14. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    Art is priceless. We have seen pieces being sold at the fall of the hammer to the highest bidder. Since time immemorial, art has been a great venture and art enthusiasts are always willing to pay well for pieces. Personally, I would be willing to pay for as much as an artist asks. This is because I understand the whole process of art creation. I do pencil portraits and it takes time and patience to churn out good results. However, we have the lot that does not recognise the need and beauty of art. A client once talked of giving me half a dollar for a portrait. I felt like being rude but I simply told him I cannot do at that price.

15. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I do paint. I love paintings and other artworks but I don't usually buy them, I make them. I love creating things out of wastes (plastic bottles, cereal boxes, scrap woods, etc.) and have tons of ideas for each of them. There are a lot of painters who have their own stalls at the mall and it's sad that there aren't a lot of people who appreciate such thing. I think these people are talented and deserve more than they're getting/earning.

16. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    In the financial estate I am at right now I wouldn't buy art since I would prefer the necessities. If I did have the money I would probably just spend about $50 or depending on how amazing the art is. For sure there are very amazing artists but I think I would have to be an art fanatic to splurge on an art piece.

17. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I need to take care of my basic necessities before I think of things like buying art. When I had some money available I did buy some things that were artistic in nature but they are not things I really have the money for now. I just think that many people would like to spend money on art but it is not a necessity.

18. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    Somebody wrote that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it,and when buying art its all about the signature and you should collect original art and not mass produced prints because original art can really climb in value. You need to know what the artist goes for and they have websites and books for that-but you have to beware of art forgeries and some artists are faked more than others-so they have art experts for the athentication of these paintings as well. Collecting art can be very profitable though.

19. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't much on art of the last few years, but i still browse and stay up to date on the current events that interest me, other than that i feel that art prices have gone up a bit which is quite unfortunate.

20. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I usually spend next to nothing no art because I possess the skill and
    there was a time I was making artifacts for sale. I also collect
    aesthetic collections of objects I come across to decorate my house.
    Recently, I came across a big beautiful waterproof banner discarded
    near a construction site. i took it for use as a mat in my bedroom.