How often do you check the air in your tires?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Gelsemium • Mar 22, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pretty simple for some, somewhat complicated for others. Do you know that the correct pressure of air in the tires affects a lot the consumption of you car? How often do you check the air in your tires? Do you know the right pressure?

2. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly i never check the air pressure in my tires, unless one of them looks flat. I had no idea that the air pressure in my tires effect the consumption of my car. I will have to look into it.

3. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    As a cyclist, I am acutely aware of the inefficiency of soft tires. Any time that I am planning a long drive I check the tires. I am getting gas anyhow so I make a point to check the tires. I am always surprised at the number of people who add air, but have no pressure gauge. I think they are just trained to get air without regard for the optimal pressure.

You can find the information on tire pressure in the owners manual of the car, on the tires themselves, or often on a sticker attached to the frame of the driver's side door. I thing it can save upwards of 20% on fuel depending on how out your pressure is.

4. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, I'm with you there Lostvalleyguy, I would not be surprised if we could save up to 20% fuel, what is an amazing number considering that to save it we just need to check the air. There are many people like Eagle though that never check the air, it's crazy!

5. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I don't check the pressure. If I feel that a tire feels odd, though, I will stop at a gas station and fill them up. Nonetheless, I thought putting too much air was as bad as the opposite. However, the following blog seems to say tires hardly ever burst from too much air:

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we bought our first brand new car, the car salesman emphasized the required tire pressure. He said that improper tire pressure can drag the vehicle and therefore consume more gas. For over inflated tires, it can run counter with the brake which is not safe anymore. Besides, over inflated tires can blow up without warning.

Our habit is to have the tires checked for pressure every time we fill up the tank.

7. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Once when we went out on weekend, the rear tire got punctured. It was late evening and being a weekend, all the road side assistance were closed. We had to face a tough time.
    Had we have the habit of checking the tire pressure before going out, the situation would not have surfaced.
    We learnt a lesson, and now frequently check the air pressure to avoid any repetition of such incident again.