How often to shampoo

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by JaydonTyler • Jun 10, 2014.

1. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    We have been made out to believe that we need shampoo when in fact we dont all that much. It has it's place though. Most people shampoo way too often.

Did you know, the only time you should shampoo is when your hair is greasy? If your hair is clean, you dont need to shampoo. Shampoo clings on to oils and now and then it's good to use as our scalp produces excess oil, it's good to remove it. If you live on the ocean, you could just swim in the salt water that works too.

If you don't use hair spray or gel, you should only need to shampoo a few times per week at most. It depends on your lifestyle. Some people need to shampoo more then others, but dont do it more then you feel you need to.

And another thing.. When you uses shampoo, massage your scalp with it for no more then 20 seconds before you rinse it all out. You dont want to leave it on your scalp too long. As I said it absorbs oil, so the longer you leave it the more oil is absorbed. If too much is absorbed, your body produces more then needed and now you have a problem.

2. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I have afro hair so only shampoo once a week, sometimes I may use shampoo fortnightly and condition weekly instead. I find that my hair stays softer and is easier to manage if I condition for a few hours rather than shampoo. Thank you for this I will be more aware of leaving shampoo in for too long.

3. Grapejars

GrapejarsNew Member

Threads:
    I have read a lot of information about using no shampoo at all, or "nopoo" as some have coined it! I tried to not shampoo for about four days. I still wet down my hair and styled it as usual but each day, the hair became greasier, and I do not have greasy hair. I do use products on my hair, a no frizz cream and some gel, which may be the problem! Some friends advised me to stick with it, and that my body would adjust and produce less oils, but I couldn't do it. i now shampoo every other day, although I have to shampoo after exercise, so it's really back to just about every day. Has anybody else with thin hair been able to adjust to no shampoo, even with sweaty hair?

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I shampoo 2-3 times a week. I don't like shampooing too often because it makes my hair look even worse. I can't go too long before shampoos, though, or it looks greasy, too.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wash my hair with shampoo and conditioner every other day. My hair gets oily within a day of not washing, so on the days I don't wash I need to use a dry shampoo (my favorite is the Batiste).

6. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I wash my hair every other day and that's as long as I can go. Sometimes I even think day two looks a little greasy, but I have color treated hair so I try to hold off on too much shampooing to keep my hair healthy. One thing to do if you have to shampoo everyday is to use sulfate free shampoo. Since it doesn't have all of the harsh chemicals it isn't as potentially drying and damaging to your hair.

7. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My grandmother always tells me that I should only shampoo my hair every other day and not every day, because it can actually damage my hair. she would even sometimes stress that I don't really have to shampoo my hair. She rarely shampoo her hair. Despite that her hair is very smooth and soft. The reason behind it is that she remains natural to hair without overly exposing it to damaging chemicals.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I sweat in my head and may need to wash my hair every day depending on how much I have been sweating if I have been walking or gardening. During the summer it is hot and humid in my area which means a lot of sweating. Also the little bugs that hang in the air when it is hot get in your hair which means another reason to wash your hair.

Good information on not letting the shampoo stay on your scalp because it is drying to the hair.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only ever buy gentle and natural shampoos from the healthfood store, that contain no foaming agents, parabens and other nasty ingredients. I wash my hair every second or third day with only a little bit of shampoo. Ordinary commercial products from the supermarkets tend to dry out my hair and scalp very quickly, and I definitely don´t like that chemical feeling.

10. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I wash my hair every single day. I have very oily hair and skin so the need to wash everyday is there. I can't stand to feel dirty. On occasion, I just use shampoo and not conditioner.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I shampoo my hair everyday when I'm off to go somewhere since I'm from a tropical country, so it's mostly humid in here, so we perspire a lot. But when it's the rainy season and I'm not going anywhere, then I don't really shampoo my hair or take a bath unless I feel like it. I noticed that during the colder season, my hair really doesn't produce oil for a day or 2 since I last took a bath.

12. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I agree! Shampooing too often strips your hair of its natural oils and makes it worse in the long run. I shampoo every other day, unless I've been sweating a lot. Sometimes, I go a day or two without even getting it wet. It seems to be a little healthier and happier because of this :)

13. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    I virtually never do as I'm on the "no poo" regimen.

Basically, I primarily use just water mixed with apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle for my hair. Assuming you use an appropriate mixture of the two, the scent won't last for long, and you'll likely notice a great improvement. The first few weeks are the toughest, partly because I don't think you'll be used to the feel of your hair, but hang in there. Now, this isn't exactly for everyone as my wife tries to do it, but based on her hair type, she can't quite go to the same lengths as me and needs to use shampoo from time to time, but it might be worth giving a try to see if it could work for you.

14. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, your hair will be greasier until it corrects itself over time. Shampoo absorbs oils on the scalp, so when you quit using it - those oils are no longer being absorbed. When you shampoo often, your scalp produces more oils then it typically should. So, when you stop using shampoo, you have more oils being produced then is "natural". Your scalp will adjust when it realizes it does not need so much oil to be produced anymore.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I didn't know that leaving shampoo on your scalp for longer than a few seconds was bad for you. I always thought that leaving it longer was better because it washes away more. I'll have to look it up and research further, but thanks for the heads up. I personally used to shampoo everyday but as I grew older it became a bit more uncomfortable for me to do so because I felt as though I was damaging my hair by doing so for some reason. Nowadays I only wash every other day and I'm more comfortable with that arrangement because I don't feel my hair to be that dirty after just a day of not washing it anyway.

16. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    I stopped using shampoo about 6 months ago, and my hair has never been healthier. I wash it about every other day in a little watered down baking soda, and then I rinse it in apple cider vinegar. It's inexpensive, natural, and easy!

Another little tip is I used to buy a product to exfoliate the skin on my face, but plain old baking soda mixed with a little water works better and costs less. Plus, since it's so inexpensive and gentle, I can use it all over my body. I get compliments on my skin all the time, and my whole regimen consists of Dove soap for cleanser and a little baking soda to exfoliate. Well, and a little cream to moisturize and sunscreen if I'm going outside. I am careful to limit sun exposure, and I wear my big floppy hat when I'm working in the garden or playing with the dogs.

Let me know if any of you try this! :D

17. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I'll ever be quite this frugal! My hair is fine the way it is, thank you very much. When I have went for a while without shampooing, my hiar is just awful. So yeah, I think I'll stay using the regular routine that I have right now.