How Safe Are Safaris?

Discussion in Travel started by ExpertAdvice • Jun 10, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Now, I know you've probably experienced a safari trip or two, but the thing is, my family and I haven't, but I've been itching to go for a long time!

My wife's basic hang-up is that she's scared that it'll be too close to the wildlife, and that if anything, we're the ones invading their habitat, so we really can't complain if (and when) we get attacked by them!

She won't even risk going to a zoo safari, lol, but I think I can understand where she's coming from on that. Ya just never know, and there have been stories of "freak accidents" and attacks that have occurred while people were on vacation in some strange land.

So what do you think? Should we go for it? And if "yes", how do I convince my wife?! lol

Pair_of_lions.

2. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    I find the idea of a African Safari fascinating. But to be honest, I would not jeopardize my safety for it. It just isn't worth the risk for me, I would just watch national geographic instead. You aren't a little afraid of being attacked by an animal?

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    African safaris aren't even dangerous, and the statistics back that up. There are certain risks you face, but the percentages of those incidents happening are minute. Most people partake in a safari adventure or two without ever dealing with any issues. Your wife shouldn't worry because it's irrational to worry in the face of the overwhelmingly good odds that nothing is going to go wrong.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:

While such incidents are far from common, these things do happen. This group thought they were safe in their vehicle but were they? It always pays to be prepared for the worst. Nonetheless I wouldn't caution against going for the safari. There's nothing like it and it's not all that risky anyway.

Safaris in general are fairly safe. But of course not 100 % safe.

5. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    It is pretty safe as far as I know. I have never been in one, but from the things I have read and seen on television and internet there is no danger as long as you follow some basic rules.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nothing is 100% safe, I mean if you go into the wild there are always risks. The recent case where the woman left down her window and the lion jumped in a killed her highlights how silly some people are.

There is in the above report a part where a woman rides a bike through the compound and is attacked...how stupid was that?

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My answer may sound biased because I'm obviously from a country famed for its safari industry, but safaris are safe. If you bear in mind you're in the wilderness, in the animals' space, listen to and heed the advise of your guide AT ALL TIMES, don't go stroking these animals because as cute as they look, they ARE wild and will react on impulse.

*I must point out though that Botswana's flora and fauna are among some of the unspoilt and wildest you'll find. So chances of coming very close to the animals are very slim.

Incidents of wild animal attacks and fatalities in Botswana are very rare. But sadly, there are people who will do anything they want instead of listening to the experts, and thus put their lives at risk. The "secret" is to have your wits about you, listen to the experts and engage your common sense. I've been on safaris countless times and have never been at risk. I worked on a safari camp for a while.

I hope your wife will finally comes around ExpertAdvice, because once she's been, she'll probably want to keep returning!

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We had experienced the local safari here inside a theme park. They said that it was patterned after a real safari in Africa. A wide expanse that is fenced have a roaming lion, 2 lions actually. We were riding in a vehicle that is protected by metal mesh so the animal couldn't hurt us. It was thrilling at first. But on our second try, we realized that the lions were somewhat tame.

9. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    This is something really impressive for having such a good and most appealing time as it. I am so glad for enjoying out the way a lot ahead. So keep it more up and this will be really having such a good time.